advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How many of you have "cilantro intolerance"?
Posted by: davester
Date: October 25, 2019 11:51AM
Poll
Do you have an overwhelming desire to spit cilantro out?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
58 votes were received.
Yes, it's awful...like chewing aluminum foil, soap, or something poisonous 12

21%
What? Cilantro is a delicious herb! 34

59%
Ho hum, What's all the fuss? I neither like it nor dislike it. 12

20%

Similar to the photic sneeze question, how many folks can't tolerate cilantro? For me, I quite like the initial herbal taste when it first hits my tongue but then an overwhelming aftertaste occurs, where it feels like I have an awful non-food item in my mouth, akin to what happens when you chew on aluminum foil or similar to eating soap. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that cilantro contains a bad-tasting chemical that a large percentage of the population don't have the ability to taste so it doesn't bother them. Hence the binary "love it"/"hate it" reaction to cilantro. I wish that I didn't have this reaction because I love a lot of food types that are traditionally prepared with cilantro.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How many of you have "cilantro intolerance"?
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 25, 2019 12:01PM
My wife and her father dislike cucumber and watermelon. They can’t stand it (don’t eat it at all) and can taste if it was in a salad and was removed. She is disgusted when she sees our daughter and son eat it.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 25, 2019 12:02PM
Definitely intolerant, but I think I'm losing it.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: October 25, 2019 12:08PM
Prior to my heart bypass, I could not stand cilantro - it tasted like soap and I loved garlic, both the taste and the smell. Now, I can’t stand to even have garlic in the house and find cilantro delish. My cardiologist shrugs and says stuff happens.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: October 25, 2019 12:16PM
Chopped up in small doses it can be pretty good when mixed in w/ a myriad of foods. Stand alone, in its full blooming glory, it is too much. It can also vary from source to source; good stuff passes muster, bad stuff, not so much.
==
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 25, 2019 12:18PM
I don't have 'intolerance', but I only tolerate it in El Pollo Loco's cilantro dressing.

I really dislike it any other way, and take the time to pick as much as possible out of their salad, and any other foods.

A couple of butterflies wake up when I see people heaping it into containers at the salad bar.

To my knowledge, cooked cilantro has never passed my lips.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 25, 2019 12:25PM
Had to be mixed with other ingredients, but I don't have any aggravated response. I did know of someone who couldn't stand the smell and thought it smelled like cicadas. Yeah. Weird.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 25, 2019 12:31PM
Carm
My wife and her father dislike cucumber and watermelon. They can’t stand it (don’t eat it at all) and can taste if it was in a salad and was removed. She is disgusted when she sees our daughter and son eat it.

Interesting, if slightly off topic. I used to happily eat watermelon as a kid, but then got throwing-up-all-night sick two consecutive times eating watermelon as an adult. So now it makes me queasy for sure and I avoid it (and other melons). Since then I also avoid cucumber because my tongue/body says it shares some taste or component with watermelon. (I can take small amounts of either, and I also love and have no trouble with pickles - so, go figger.)
Posted by: Carm
Date: October 25, 2019 12:38PM
pdq
Carm

Interesting, if slightly off topic. I used to happily eat watermelon as a kid, but then got throwing-up-all-night sick two consecutive times eating watermelon as an adult. So now it makes me queasy for sure and I avoid it (and other melons). Since then I also avoid cucumber because my tongue/body says it shares some taste or component with watermelon. (I can take small amounts of either, and I also love and have no trouble with pickles - so, go figger.)
I always tease my wife about eating pickles. But she has no problem with it either.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 25, 2019 12:41PM
The cilantro hatred is strong in my family. I have it. My wife has it. My children have it...

We also do not like the taste of Kale for some reason.
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 25, 2019 12:44PM
I love cilantro. It's so prevalent in lots of mexican food. By itself? I don't really know how it stands.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 25, 2019 01:24PM
The wife grew up using Cilantro in Central America, along with Culantro which is a stronger tasting relative. So avoiding it isn't going to happen. that said, I really don't taste it and can't figure out what the big deal is.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 25, 2019 02:00PM
I love it.

I simply can't imagine Pico de Gallo without it.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 25, 2019 02:13PM
I neither love it nor hate it. I like Mexican food and it's in a lot of stuff I've eaten. I can taste it, but the taste doesn't really bother me. My wife, however, hates it. Then again, she and my son love broccoli, and to me it smells like either rotting garbage, or like someone just passed gas. Whenever my MIL visits, she insists on buying broccoli and cooking it. As soon as I walk in the door, it smells like walking into a port-a-potty. I think she does it on purpose...
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 25, 2019 02:25PM
Hatred of cilantro may have a genetic basis: [www.npr.org]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 25, 2019 02:46PM
rz
I neither love it nor hate it. I like Mexican food and it's in a lot of stuff I've eaten. I can taste it, but the taste doesn't really bother me. My wife, however, hates it. Then again, she and my son love broccoli, and to me it smells like either rotting garbage, or like someone just passed gas. Whenever my MIL visits, she insists on buying broccoli and cooking it. As soon as I walk in the door, it smells like walking into a port-a-potty. I think she does it on purpose...

lol. That's funny.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 25, 2019 02:52PM
23&me questions????
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: October 25, 2019 03:12PM
mikebw
Definitely intolerant, but I think I'm losing it.
Now THAT is interesting, the idea that over time either an enzyme gets developed in our system, or something genetic occurs as we age that changes the taste.

So now when you eat cilantro, it tastes good? Or does it just taste less soapy.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 25, 2019 03:27PM
vision63
I love cilantro. It's so prevalent in lots of mexican food. By itself? I don't really know how it stands.

By itself it does taste a little soapy, but I love it in food.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Acer
Date: October 25, 2019 03:32PM
When Mexican food became a thing in my family (Midwestern meat and potatoes farmer heritage) when the ChiChi's came to town in the 1980s, it took a while for me to get used to cilantro, but now I appreciate it.

Curry, on the other hand...no.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 25, 2019 03:47PM
I am pretty sure I have never had a version of ceviche without copious amounts of cilantro.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 25, 2019 04:12PM
Carm

That's just sad. Watermelon is up there with avocados as one of the reasons to live on this planet. Ruby Red grapefruit, fried eggs…
Date: October 25, 2019 04:44PM
Acer
When Mexican food became a thing in my family (Midwestern meat and potatoes farmer heritage) when the ChiChi's came to town in the 1980s, it took a while for me to get used to cilantro, but now I appreciate it.

If you're getting your Mexican food from a place called "ChiChi's," you're doing it wrong. sad smiley

It is what it is.
Date: October 25, 2019 04:55PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Acer

If you're getting your Mexican food from a place called "ChiChi's," you're doing it wrong. sad smiley

Sorry, the suburbs of Akron, Ohio in 1980 was not a hotbed of southwestern culinary diversity. However, I could have fixed you up with authentic cabbage rolls made by dear old ladies with thick Hungarian accents.
Date: October 25, 2019 05:13PM
Acer
N-OS X-tasy!
Acer

Sorry, the suburbs of Akron, Ohio in 1980 was not a hotbed of southwestern culinary diversity. However, I could have fixed you up with authentic cabbage rolls made by dear old ladies with thick Hungarian accents.

No, I gotcha. My comment wasn't so much commentary on your personal taste as it was the lack of acceptable options where you live... hence the sad face. When it comes to good Mexican food, we in SoCal are extraordinarily blessed.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2019 05:14PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 25, 2019 05:25PM
ChiChi's - there's a chain I had forgotten.

Fun ChiChi's story - my wife's cousin was visiting from Honduras and we decided to go out to eat. Drive to ChiChi's which had a big flashing sign advertising Chimichangas. The cousin lets out a scream and refuses to get out of the car.

My wife is laughing hysterically and I'm just confused. Turns out in Honduras the word Chimichanga is slang for a verb related to a fun activity done by friends (with benefits) and lovers.

We eventually had dinner - at a nearby Chinese Buffet.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: October 25, 2019 05:55PM
I like cilantro. But at my supermarket they sell these weird little tubs of something like a half-dried cilantro. The idea is, it keeps much longer than fresh herbs but has more flavor than the dried stuff. But dammm if it didn't taste like soap. Then the next couple times I tasted fresh cilantro, I tasted a strong soapy flavor underneath the normal taste. It was a while before I could enjoy fresh cilantro again. So I get it, cilantro haters, I really do.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: October 25, 2019 08:33PM
Ha ha, in my younger years cilantro had a definite unpleasant, soapy taste! However, having my first child my somehow altered my taste respone and then I couldn't get enough of it. During my second pregnancy I insisted on eating at a local Mexican restaurant at least 3 or 4 times a week, to get my cilantro fix. For some reason, both my children have loved it all their lives... wink smiley dunno smiley
Posted by: BernDog
Date: October 26, 2019 10:44AM
Every time I think about this, it makes me sad for all the people who can’t properly experience cilantro.

I have the same thing, though, but with brussels sprouts. I think I can get an idea of what other people taste when they eat them, and I think I’d really like them too, except I get hit with the most godawful, chemical bitterness you can imagine along with the “normal” flavor. I suspect it’s another genetic thing like with cilantro.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 26, 2019 11:01AM
A lot of people have an aversion to cruciferous vegetables.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: October 26, 2019 12:18PM
BernDog
I have the same thing, though, but with brussels sprouts.

I can't even tolerate being in a house where Brussels sprouts are being cooked; oder make me nauseous. barf smiley
Date: October 26, 2019 05:31PM
DeusxMac
BernDog

I can't even tolerate being in a house where Brussels sprouts are being cooked; oder make me nauseous. barf smiley

My sister has a theory that the Greatest Generation simply never learned how to cook vegetables. They just boiled everything to death. Maybe it was growing up in the days of small farms with only basic, local seasonings, or lack of affordable seasonings during the lean years of the Depression, or the years of rationing during the war, I dunno. Brussels sprouts surely suffer from this treatment.

Recently I had Brussels sprouts prepared by a cousin who is a chef. Roasted in the oven. Oh my, I could not get enough!
Posted by: BernDog
Date: October 26, 2019 08:40PM
Acer
DeusxMac
BernDog

My sister has a theory that the Greatest Generation simply never learned how to cook vegetables. They just boiled everything to death. Maybe it was growing up in the days of small farms with only basic, local seasonings, or lack of affordable seasonings during the lean years of the Depression, or the years of rationing during the war, I dunno. Brussels sprouts surely suffer from this treatment.

Recently I had Brussels sprouts prepared by a cousin who is a chef. Roasted in the oven. Oh my, I could not get enough!

I’ve had them prepped every-which-way, by chefs and otherwise. I can taste what I’m supposed to taste, and I’m pretty sure I’d like them. There’s just the “other” taste that’s layered in. I get it. I just can’t get past the bitter.

That said, I agree on veggies growing up. I couldn’t stand most of them until I realized my mom didn’t know what the hell she was doing. Hated coffee too, until I found out that my mom’s light tan hot water was not coffee. Beer too, until I finally had the good stuff, not the Milwaukee’s Best my dad drank.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018