advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Finally Had My Roof Replaced By Contractor Who ruined It ... the saga nears end
Posted by: chopper
Date: October 25, 2019 12:32PM
I'm sure there's messages here from the past detailing the bad job the roofing company did on my roof a while back and our efforts to get him to replace it. Filed complaints with BBB, social media shaming etc, no luck.

I Finally forced the contractor to replace the roof--they finished yesterday. Almost had to resort to Mob intimidation level behavior to make him do it. This included going to his house and his business in full Paulie from Sopranos mode.

City bldg inspector on site at my house for two days this week watching to make sure the replacement roof is to code. Bldg inspector failed the original job but the contractor STILL refused to fix it; until I went Sopranos on him, almost.

Contractor's claim all these years was that the roof was fine and it was leaking because I have an window air conditioner on one of the dormers and that was causing the roof to leak (yes).

Imagine his surprise when the bldg inspector was standing here when his crew started peeling off the old shingles and underlayment and THERE WAS NOTHING UNDER THE SHINGLES. NO ICE AND WATER, NOT EVEN ANY TAR PAPER. Shingles on top of 1920s boards. Bldg inspector lost his temper with the contractor "WTF IS THAT??!".

CONTRACTOR tried to tell him it actually wasn't code in 2007 to require tar paper under shingles--in Minnesota. Bldg inspector looked the code history up on his phone and showed him it was code in 2001 and an accepted practice in this climate since the 1930s.

Contractor got in his truck and left. I don't think he has come back since.

What a long and dreadful saga. I'm glad its over, or it will be when I replace all the wet and molding sheet rock in my upstairs.

House never leaked a drop until that contractor did the roof.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Finally Had My Roof Replaced By Contractor Who ruined It ... the saga nears end
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 25, 2019 12:37PM
Uh, yeah. Melty snow sitting on roofs sometimes for weeks at a time needs at least tar paper to keep what’s underneath dry.
Re: Finally Had My Roof Replaced By Contractor Who ruined It ... the saga nears end
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 25, 2019 12:40PM
What a jabrone ! Good job !
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: October 25, 2019 12:45PM
Wow! Just wow! Unbelievable his attitude about the work.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 25, 2019 12:48PM
That said, it probably explains why my father in law had me help the two hillbillies put his new roof on back when we were living there.

"Hey, I'll put the flashing around this valley.."
"Dude, it doesn't need it."
"Yes it does, hand me the roll."
(grumbling)
Posted by: chopper
Date: October 25, 2019 01:16PM
<<Wow! Just wow! Unbelievable his attitude about the work. >>>

Bldg inspector suggested this was not the first time he has seen this with that contractor. He has mostly from Mexico labor and does not supervise them. The one crew guy who spoke English said in Mexico they don't have to put tar paper under shingles. I doubt that is true. They really did a great job this time.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 25, 2019 02:20PM
I'm lucky that our roofing guy is very reliable and honest. He's done the roof on our present house, our last house, and a rental. Not going to get into the long story, but he earned our respect when he offered to take responsibility when his roofers punctured our pipes in the attic because the plumber actually attached them TO THE ROOF DECKING (wildly against code) when our old house was re-plumbed. Thankfully I was able to take pictures before the plumber's guy came and moved the pipes. Slam dunk case for our insurance company to get them to not only pay to fix everything, but they reimbursed my deductible.
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 25, 2019 05:06PM
LOTS of contractors like that. That's why they should NOT be paid fully, up front. Withholding $$$ is really the only effective way to get a contractor to show up.

Have you thought about inviting this bozo for a one away ice fishing trip this winter? eye rolling smiley
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 25, 2019 05:38PM
chopper
<<Wow! Just wow! Unbelievable his attitude about the work. >>>

Bldg inspector suggested this was not the first time he has seen this with that contractor. He has mostly from Mexico labor and does not supervise them. The one crew guy who spoke English said in Mexico they don't have to put tar paper under shingles. I doubt that is true. They really did a great job this time.

Very few shingle roofs in Mexico and they tend to be decorative. My BIL in Mexico City put shingles on a roof over a small room and those locally-sourced shingles only lasted about two or three years before they curled and split. He replaced them with tile.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 26, 2019 08:59AM
Milder climates probably don't require paper under shingles...I remember when mom had her home re-shingled it didn't have paper.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 26, 2019 12:58PM
Bill in NC
Milder climates probably don't require paper under shingles...I remember when mom had her home re-shingled it didn't have paper.

Depends on the pitch of the roof. Even in mild climates you will need paper under shingles if the pitch is shallow enough.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 30, 2019 09:36AM
JoeH
Bill in NC

Depends on the pitch of the roof. Even in mild climates you will need paper under shingles if the pitch is shallow enough.

True...I actually measured the pitch after it was done to make sure it was steep enough to meet code.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 140
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018