advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Prepping for the PSPS
Posted by: wave rider
Date: October 26, 2019 01:48PM
I was not affected by the first series of Public Safety Power Shutoffs but I am due at 7PM tonight.

Am downloading some Netflix to the iP6 grande. Not the best movie experience but better than nothing.

Charging batteries for my headlamp. Multi-fuel Coleman Lantern is already hanging in the kitchen, its usual place. Will be grinding some coffee beans even though I can run the grinder with one of my UPSs. And the UPSs I have come with a USB port and is said to be good for seven or so phone charges. Plenty of eneloop AAs for my transistor radio, world series and NPR are a must!

Did not buy any fresh food but am hopeful the frig stays cold enough for half 'n' half and yogurt for the next few days. Not expecting a natural gas shutdown, so steel cut oatmeal is still in play. Already have a few eggs veggie sausages for a meal as well as some canned soup. I will not starve immediately…

Anyone else joining in the fun?

=wr=
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Prepping for the PSPS
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 26, 2019 01:51PM
Why does this happen again?

Posted by: freeradical
Date: October 26, 2019 02:01PM
bazookaman
Why does this happen again?

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.
Date: October 26, 2019 02:07PM
Pacific Gas & Electric has decided to cut power so none of their equipment will spark a fire. Many of us think they have been bereft of their power-line maintenance and clearing away brush.

To PG&E's credit, the "wind event" taking place in Northern California (probably Oregon too) has been labeled "generational" in nature. Hot, dry, 50-70 mph winds over wide swathes of land, could be bad…

=wr=
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 26, 2019 02:13PM
They've already announced responsibility for a fire raging in LA County that's taken down a dozen homes so far. They resisted taking responsibility for decades knowing it would lead to bankruptcy, which it has.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 26, 2019 02:27PM
If your stove had electric spark igniters you might need matches or a butane lighter/fire starter to light it.

With more lead time, turn the fridge and freezer to their coldest setting and fill empty plastic soda bottles with water and put as many as you can in the freezer, and fridge to displace air, and retain the cold for longer periods.

I did all of this prepping last time but in the end they didn't turn off my power (but did turn it off about 1000' up the road).
Date: October 26, 2019 02:47PM
GGD
If your stove had electric spark igniters you might need matches or a butane lighter/fire starter to light it.

With more lead time, turn the fridge and freezer to their coldest setting and fill empty plastic soda bottles with water and put as many as you can in the freezer, and fridge to displace air, and retain the cold for longer periods.

I did all of this prepping last time but in the end they didn't turn off my power (but did turn it off about 1000' up the road).

Good ideas! I have pilot lights on the stove and a gas water heater so I should not suffer too much… smiling smiley
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 26, 2019 05:26PM
GGD

And my mother discovered in a recent outage that she cannot use her propane stove at all without power as there is some sort of interlock safety built in to prevent "accidental" ignition.

And on another note...this current power cutoff is in the Saturday to Monday time frame. There's already another off shore wind even in the cards for Tuesday and Wednesday.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: BernDog
Date: October 27, 2019 10:37AM
All these California acronyms… I thought Sony had an updated PlayStation Portable and you were preparing to get one.
Posted by: btfc
Date: October 27, 2019 11:38AM
I find my DC to AC inverter in my truck to be incredibly useful.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: October 27, 2019 01:23PM
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind.

And the wind is indeed blowing.

I rarely hear it in the daytime, and am now very conscious of it.

In theory I'm out of range and have had no shutdown (yet).

A friend lost power, but for only two days. He's got a 6.5KW generator that will keep the fridge, freezer, and a light on.

And the ability to fend off neighbors should things go all Maple Street, USA.

PG&E was painting a pretty dark picture of draconian power outages, saying the threat may be gone in hours but the power will be out for five days 'while we check the lines to make sure everything is ok'.

They've since backed off from that FUD, maybe because that ability is coming under fire.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 122
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018