advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
no flex appeal?!.....Ford discontinues Ford Flex crossover....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 29, 2019 06:54AM
.......it end here......

Ford to discontinue Flex crossover as it shifts focus to trucks, SUVs

Ford Motor is ending production of the Ford Flex as part of an overhaul of its vehicle lineup through 2020 to shift toward trucks and SUVs.

The company couldn't immediately say how many employees will be displaced at Ford's Oakville Assembly plant in Ontario, Canada, where the Flex is built.

The company is also discontinuing this month its Lincoln MKT β€” a crossover built at the plant.

......Ford Motor is ending production of the Ford Flex as part of an overhaul of its vehicle lineup through 2020 to shift toward trucks and SUVs.

Ford said it will stop producing the "unconventional crossover wagon" later this year.

The automaker couldn't immediately say how many employees will be displaced at Ford's Oakville Assembly plant in Ontario, Canada, where the Flex is built. The company is also discontinuing this month its Lincoln MKT β€” a crossover built at the plant on the same platform with similar components as the Flex. Company spokesman Dan Barbossa said Ford is notifying affected employees Monday.

In July, several media outlets reported the automaker planned to temporarily lay off about 200 people at the plant in September, possibly followed by additional layoffs in January.

The Flex, which can seat seven people and is known as a "minivan alternative," built a loyal following for its unique design and functionality, but sales of the vehicle never met expectations. Ford sold more than 296,000, or roughly 27,000 vehicles a year, since the Flex arrived in dealerships in 2008.

The Flex is being discontinued as part of a previously announced plan for Ford to redesign or replace 75% of its vehicle lineup by the end of 2020. The plan is specifically focused on expanding Ford's truck and utility lineup and shedding passenger cars, except for its iconic Mustang sports car.

end of the line...........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: no flex appeal?!.....Ford discontinues Ford Flex crossover....
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 29, 2019 08:01AM
This was decided (and made public) 2 years ago. I knew it when I leased my 2017 Pacifica. It's the reason I did not buy a Flex.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 29, 2019 08:17AM
modelamac
This was decided (and made public) 2 years ago. I knew it when I leased my 2017 Pacifica. It's the reason I did not buy a Flex.

How do you like your Pacifica? A few months ago Motortrend reported its long term model had a few problems. Is yours the PHEV model or was that not yet available in 2017?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2019 08:18AM by Speedy.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 29, 2019 09:02AM
modelamac

What about that made you not buy it? Two of my last cars I bought knowing they had stopped selling them in the US.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Gareth
Date: October 29, 2019 11:53AM
NewtonMP2100
The Flex, which can seat seven people and is known as a "minivan alternative," built a loyal following for its unique design and functionality, but sales of the vehicle never met expectations.

I've always hated the Flex because it seemed like a terrible "minivan alternative". Got one from a rental agency early on when I really wanted a "stow and go" Town and Country or Caravan. The Jalopnik article referred to the Flex as a giant station wagon, and if I'd seen it from that viewpoint, it would be awesome.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 29, 2019 12:07PM
Is it a small big car or a big small car?

Posted by: jdc
Date: October 29, 2019 12:14PM
Gareth
The Jalopnik article referred to the Flex as a giant station wagon, and if I'd seen it from that viewpoint, it would be awesome.

Well, Ive alwys thought of it as a wagon, or tall wagon, or short SUV. No sliding doors = not a van.

Most reviews have touted the "sto and go" seats as some sort of miracle of science, but, at least in my eyes, I could never see me using it. And the sto and go seats SUCK for actually sitting in.

No surprise to me on MTs issues. Its still a chrysler.

MT and CDs "reviews" are kinda hard to swallow on the surface, because they only get the top of the line models, only use them for a few days and declare a winner. They cant do 3 years from now review. Yeah, I know they have long term tests, but too few and still most only last a year.

Then onto the next shiny object...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 29, 2019 12:36PM
jdc
Most reviews have touted the "sto and go" seats as some sort of miracle of science, but, at least in my eyes, I could never see me using it. And the sto and go seats SUCK for actually sitting in.

That's what I have read too. And it matches what we experience with our Honda minivan. Second row seats are removable and are very comfortable. Third row folds in. Reviews said the Honda had the most comfortable third row of the vans available at the time and they are pretty good (I've taken a 3 hour trip there) but the second and first row are noticeably better.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: October 30, 2019 08:07AM
jdc
Its still a chrysler.
Worse yet, it's a Fiat.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: October 31, 2019 06:38PM
I love my Flex. Best vehicle I have ever owned.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: October 31, 2019 11:19PM
mattkime
Is it a small big car or a big small car?

The guy I work with who drives one calls it β€œthe toaster.”

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018