advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
60 hours without power and counting
Posted by: Bo
Date: October 29, 2019 09:33AM
Power went down Saturday evening and looks like it could be another day or two. We are fortunate to not be threatened by the Kincade Fire about an hour north of us. They have it much tougher indeed. For us it’s mainly an inconvenience and we’re rolling with it. Gas stove and water heater have been very nice to have.

No fuel and limited ice has been available in the county for a few days now. Thinking of driving down to the ice factory in south SF this morning, loading up a few hundred pounds and distributing around the neighborhood.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 60 hours without power and counting
Posted by: 3d
Date: October 29, 2019 10:06AM
It's nice to have one of those old style pilot-light type water heaters that work with no electricity. Not as efficient as the new models with circuit boards, but it's nice to have peace of mind. A hot shower really does wonders.

Bo
Thinking of driving down to the ice factory in south SF this morning, loading up a few hundred pounds and distributing around the neighborhood.
I would save the fuel for emergency use only. You never know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2019 10:14AM by 3d.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 29, 2019 10:23AM
....samsies.......you won't know if you might need additional fuel if the outage goes even longer so don't waste it until you know you are out of the woods......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 29, 2019 10:25AM
Having been through a few hurricane outages of a week or more, I feel for you.

A few suggestions - Solar power patio/yard lights are great for the evenings. You just put them out during the day and bring them in overnight for lighting. No need to spend hundreds on a fancy cooler, the Coleman Xtreme 5 is less than $50 and ice lasts almost as long (less than 24 hr difference). Even a small generator will keep the essentials going (refrigerator, TV, fan, chargers) - but if you want more the Champion 7500 Watt Dual Fuel Portable Generator is a good choice at ~$750.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 29, 2019 10:26AM
Longest I've gone without electricity in my home is, IIRC, 8 days. We were lucky enough to have running water, but of course only cold water: Sandy killed the boiler. We also had working gas, but had to scrounge for matches. My area is still a mess because of that storm, and the mess just keeps going. I'm sorry for anyone going through these disasters. Fire must be worse,

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: davester
Date: October 29, 2019 10:49AM
We lucked out. Our power went out Saturday and we were expecting it to stay off through tomorrow but the power came back on yesterday evening and the planned outage for today has been cancelled. Yippee! I still can't go back to work since it will take them 24 hours to reenergize the site. What's really annoying is that not only does the power go out, but all the cell towers near me go out at the same time.

Bo, I've got 40 lbs of party ice in a cooler...it's yours if you want to drive to Berkeley.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2019 10:53AM by davester.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 29, 2019 10:58AM
Good luck!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: October 29, 2019 12:53PM
davester
What's really annoying is that not only does the power go out, but all the cell towers near me go out at the same time.

Oops. I thought they were supposed to have battery backup. So much for that, I guess.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 29, 2019 12:55PM
[www.evextend.com]

I haven't installed this yet, but I've been planning to do it for several months now. This thread may have motivated me a bit.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: October 29, 2019 01:53PM
This is the nice thing about having this camper van parked outside my house. For one, it's a good "go" vehicle, always parked nose out with a full tank of gas.

But in the event of an extended power outage, it has a decent size fridge and freezer than can run off of solar. It also has a smart TV, propane furnace and a lot of chargers for devices - all of which can run off solar too. Propane stove for cooking and a microwave that can run as long as i start the vehicle and turn on the inverter for a bit.

The only downside is that we currently have the water system winterized as night time temps have been in the teens for awhile. But we do have running water and hot water in the house without power.

We have been very fortunate to have a publicly owned utility district in our town that gets its power from Nevada Energy. So far this year, we have not yet had even one PSPS. We generally get our strongest winds mid-winter from typical Gulf of Alaska storms. The fire danger is reduced when there is 6 feet of snow on the ground.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2019 01:54PM by Markintosh.
Date: October 29, 2019 11:48PM
Now at 72 hours without power. Most surrounding neighborhoods atre back on but not here yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Still doing fine though. Only a slight inconvenience. Gave me a perfect opportunity to defrost our Samsung fridge that has had a frozen drain and basically solid ice back panel.

Davester, thanks for the ice offer. Wife had picked up 140lbs the previous day that we distributed to our immediate neighbors and kept 40 ourselves. Still holding strong with that.
Date: October 30, 2019 08:08AM
ztirffritz
[www.evextend.com]

I haven't installed this yet, but I've been planning to do it for several months now. This thread may have motivated me a bit.

Sold out.

Date: October 30, 2019 08:12AM
Bo
Now at 72 hours without power. Most surrounding neighborhoods atre back on but not here yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

Still doing fine though. Only a slight inconvenience. Gave me a perfect opportunity to defrost our Samsung fridge that has had a frozen drain and basically solid ice back panel.

Davester, thanks for the ice offer. Wife had picked up 140lbs the previous day that we distributed to our immediate neighbors and kept 40 ourselves. Still holding strong with that.

Good luck!

Posted by: wowzer
Date: October 30, 2019 10:28AM
I was out 2 weeks after Sandy,,,and a snow storm. That was bad. My breath fogged INSIDE the house. It was really miserable. GL!

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Date: October 30, 2019 12:09PM
wowzer
I was out 2 weeks after Sandy,,,and a snow storm. That was bad. My breath fogged INSIDE the house. It was really miserable. GL!

Winter is rough without power. I think I would shut off the water, open the taps and go to a hotel.

Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 30, 2019 02:20PM
Never off for more than a few hours here where I've lived for 20+ years.

Of course, when I leave the neighborhood whether I turn left or right onto the main road there's a fire station within a couple of miles...

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2019 02:21PM by Bill in NC.
Date: October 30, 2019 03:34PM
And power is back up! Just about 80 hours of downtime. Not supposed to be any more “wind events” this week so that should be it for the grid shutdown.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 101
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018