advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ugh. Mouse season here.
Posted by: pdq
Date: October 29, 2019 11:32AM
We’ve had mice ever since we built here 25 years ago, but never so bad as this year. They tend to come in in the spring or (especially) in the fall, when it gets cold for them outside. Don’t see them winter or summer.

We’ve had a pest “expert” out, who inspected everything and came up with a few unlikely sources of entry (like a small space on the second floor roof soffit, which I’ve closed with hardware cloth) without success. I’ve filled every exterior wall penetration gap I can find with caulk and coarse steel wool.

I have old-fashioned traps set in the basement (the only place we have mouse signs) with great “success” - probably as many as 6 (adults - no babies) a week. I’m just getting tired of murdering mice.

I know they can get in through a tiny hole. We have brick facing all the way around the house, with stucco above. I wonder if they’ve found a way under and then behind the brick. Exactly where, I have no idea.

Has anyone had any success with those ultrasonic thingies? Any other ideas?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ugh. Mouse season here.
Posted by: rz
Date: October 29, 2019 11:36AM
get a cat
Posted by: Speedy
Date: October 29, 2019 12:01PM
rz
get a cat

smiley_gun_sniper

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 29, 2019 12:05PM
rz
get a cat

Both of my cats could care less. Male cat has brought in a mouse and small 10" pencil thick snake... but to play with them more than kill them.

We put out glue traps in our garage a few years ago, and got a small ping pong sized mouse... even tho still alive, the female cat just walked by it like it was nothing.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 29, 2019 12:06PM
you need a cat

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 29, 2019 12:19PM
Time for some Tull...
[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: rz
Date: October 29, 2019 12:21PM
We had a huge lumber yard and several other businesses nearby that were bought by a developer and razed to make room for a grocery store, some apartments and other retail. We lost a huge bat colony that had kept mosquitoes at bay, but we also had an influx of mice and rats after they razed and cleared the land. Shortly after, we started noticing some feral cats in the neighborhood. No more mice and rat problems.

We did our part in helping reduce the feral cat colony. We trapped/fixed/released three adult cats, and fostered a total of 7 kittens, three of which we kept ourselves (although one keeps trying to go outside whenever we open the door).
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: October 29, 2019 12:22PM
rz
get a cat

Although I've personally seen exceptions to this, farm folk wisdom dictates that your best bet for mousing duties is a female cat that has had at least one litter, the theory being that the instinct to feed and/or train kittens to hunt will be strongest in her and she'll hunt anything that moves whether she's hungry at the time or not, plus she'll bring you the trophies of her hunting.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: October 29, 2019 12:23PM
Cracks/holes around water pipe, electrical, gas, dryer vent?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 29, 2019 12:34PM
I'm under the impression that the smell of a cat can keep them away. Seems to be working in my house which is good because we have a door for loading coal which would take more than steel wool and spray foam to seal up.

Thrift Store Scott
rz
get a cat

Although I've personally seen exceptions to this, farm folk wisdom dictates that your best bet for mousing duties is a female cat that has had at least one litter, the theory being that the instinct to feed and/or train kittens to hunt will be strongest in her and she'll hunt anything that moves whether she's hungry at the time or not, plus she'll bring you the trophies of her hunting.

Posted by: btfc
Date: October 29, 2019 12:56PM
Mouse season here too; last week I found a feral momma cat and six +/- two week old kittens living in the lumber pile. I'm hoping that the mouse situation has been solved. The cats moved on a few days later.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: October 29, 2019 01:13PM
One of the best bulk catch mousetraps is a 5 gal. bucket with either a teeter or a rolling bridge.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: hal
Date: October 29, 2019 01:27PM
pdq
I have old-fashioned traps set in the basement (the only place we have mouse signs) with great “success” - probably as many as 6 (adults - no babies) a week. I’m just getting tired of murdering mice.

Keep at it. When I moved to a new place, my cat learned to hunt, then kill, then eat rats and mice. He'd go out every day and come back with a rat and then eat it on the porch. After about two months, he stopped getting daily kills. After another two months, kills were rare. Eventually, he cleaned up the neighborhood. Traps would do the same, but you're working against mice that produce offspring almost as fast as you kill - kill more!
Date: October 29, 2019 01:39PM
rz
get a cat

Thrift Store Scott

mattkime
I'm under the impression that the smell of a cat can keep them away. Seems to be working in my house which is good because we have a door for loading coal which would take more than steel wool and spray foam to seal up.

Ehhh... I kinda doubt that one. Mice can be brazen, or at least desperate when there are cats around. I've seen plenty of semi-feral barn cats live, pee, and poop in a barn and still have plenty of mice to kill there. Your cat may just be doing a good job at night when you're asleep and the mice are out to play without bringing attention to itself. Farm folk wisdom dictates that that's the M.O. for male cats: They'll kill and eat the mice with stunning efficiency until they're full, at which point the mice can dance a conga line around them and they won't twitch a whisker until they're hungry again. As with the earlier example, exceptions abound.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: October 29, 2019 01:48PM
Some cats are mousers, some aren't. We had three cats. None were mousers, but their smell kept the neighbors mouses away.

When Dad Presskat adopted me, I would arrive home and see him hanging out by the neighbors garage, roof, or trotting home with a tail sticking out.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 29, 2019 02:03PM
....can you broaden your culinary palate to include.........????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: blooz
Date: October 29, 2019 02:54PM
When Malibu was alive he kept the mouse population under control. I'd hear them in the walls but they wouldn't be out and about in the house most times.
Now I have more of a problem, with a dirt and granite basement floor. I had a small river rat gnaw a hole in the wall behind the kitchen counter. He would actually pull a small plastic container with nuts in it off the table and try to get it behind the counter. I managed to find his hole and plug it, and eventually caught it in a havahart trap. Country rats aren't like those nasty city ones. This guy was small and kind of cute, insofar as a rat can aspire to cuteness. I drove him off a couple miles and let him off in a field. Hopefully he got eaten.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: October 29, 2019 03:19PM
Appreciate the comments, but I’m not a cat person.

Maybe that explains the mice. The dog we said goodbye to a few months ago was more interested in squirrels (and birds! - both outside, obviously) than mice.

So they don’t sell cat pee to spray around the foundation?
Date: October 29, 2019 05:28PM
pdq
Appreciate the comments, but I’m not a cat person.

Maybe that explains the mice. The dog we said goodbye to a few months ago was more interested in squirrels (and birds! - both outside, obviously) than mice.

So they don’t sell cat pee to spray around the foundation?

Some breeds of dogs, specifically Rat Terriers but others as well, were bred for the task of hunting and killing mice and rats. Maybe look into getting one of those?

As for mouse invasion horror stories, one place I lived had zero mice then one day, the attack was on. I don't know where they were coming from but it was a relentless onslaught. When I'd get home at night, I'd empty the traps in the kitchen, get something to drink, go sit down in the living and turn on the TV. Snap! Snap! Both traps go off, commercial break, go empty the traps, come back, sit down. Snap! Snap! Wait for commercial break, go empty the traps, lather, rinse, repeat until time to go to bed. It was effective and after a few weeks (2-4, this was nearly 30 years ago) the traps began to sit empty, baited and set but unsprung.

Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 29, 2019 06:19PM
Maybe you need a Jack Russell Terrier or one of the other good mousers link
Posted by: datbeme
Date: October 29, 2019 09:46PM
Not looking forward to mouse season. Was never an issue until ~5 years ago when we started wondering why there were bites out of the peaches on the kitchen counter. After a few days of setting traps, it was "taken care of," but this has been a ritual in one way or another every fall since then.
Posted by: PeterB
Date: October 29, 2019 10:34PM
You need one of these guys. They're natural mousers, and can even be trained in the way a dog can. [en.wikipedia.org]

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 30, 2019 12:36AM
Thrift Store Scott
rz
get a cat

Thrift Store Scott

mattkime

Ehhh... I kinda doubt that one. Mice can be brazen, or at least desperate when there are cats around. I've seen plenty of semi-feral barn cats live, pee, and poop in a barn and still have plenty of mice to kill there. Your cat may just be doing a good job at night when you're asleep and the mice are out to play without bringing attention to itself. Farm folk wisdom dictates that that's the M.O. for male cats: They'll kill and eat the mice with stunning efficiency until they're full, at which point the mice can dance a conga line around them and they won't twitch a whisker until they're hungry again. As with the earlier example, exceptions abound.

Posted by: wowzer
Date: October 30, 2019 04:24AM
Get the duo tone ultrasonic mouse device. Apparently they work, according to Scotty Kilmer.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Date: October 30, 2019 08:50AM
So I went to Amazon, and several are 5 star rated, one with over 1000 reviews. But many of the reviews appear to be about an unrelated book, and many of the others seem bogus (one word reviews : “great”, “best”, “excellent”, “gifts” - “gifts”?)

...and the instructions are written in bad English, like “It's normal that the mouse and vermin will increase at the beginning of the using days because they are getting away from the living place after the attack of the ultrasonic.”

I might try this anyway, because I’m desperate, and I don’t need a new pet at this point. Maybe one that says free returns.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 99
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018