Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Reagan library saved by goats
Posted by: Buck
Date: October 31, 2019 05:26PM
[www.bbc.com]

A hungry herd of 500 goats has helped save the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library from the California wildfires.

In May, the library hired the goats to clear flammable scrub surrounding the complex as a preventative measure.
The goats ate the brush, creating a fire break that slowed the flames and gave firefighters extra time to react.

The library near Los Angeles was threatened by the Easy Fire, the latest in a spate of fires causing evacuations and power cuts across the state.
The caprine contractors included Vincent van Goat, Selena Goatmez and Goatzart. They helped save exhibits including an Air Force One jet and a piece of the Berlin Wall.
"We were told by one of the firefighters that they believe that fire break made their job easier," Melissa Giller, a library spokeswoman, told Reuters.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Reagan library saved by goats
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: October 31, 2019 05:29PM
Clearing out flammable brush, what a concept.

Reagan would obviously have approved: [www.youtube.com]
Date: October 31, 2019 05:32PM
California should have cleared a wide swath underneath power lines as well. That would have greatly reduced the number of fires. And kept the power on.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: October 31, 2019 05:43PM
Young goats or old goats?

Where is there dignity unless there is also honesty? - Cicero

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 31, 2019 05:45PM
Buck
California should have cleared a wide swath underneath power lines as well. That would have greatly reduced the number of fires. And kept the power on.

That's not really possible. It's too much real estate.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 31, 2019 05:46PM
Buck

Responsibility for clearing goes to the utilities, not the state. From all reports at least one utility used the money that should have gone to that for executive bonuses.

Even so, how many of the fires trace back that kind of starting point? From reading reports over the years, just a fraction.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: October 31, 2019 05:47PM
Washington DOT advocate for use of goats to clear brush.

[www.wsdot.wa.gov]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Date: October 31, 2019 05:48PM
Ammo
Young goats or old goats?

Wouldn't they be equally hungry?
Posted by: RgrF
Date: October 31, 2019 06:37PM
Ventura County brought the idea to the Library and The goat program is organized and paid for by the fire department, so no special clearance is required to have the goats on property.

The goats came from the government and they were there to help. RR must be rolling over in his grave.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 31, 2019 06:37PM
.....billy goat....gruff.....???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: DavidS
Date: October 31, 2019 08:24PM
over the summer, we had a team of 34 goats at our house to clear out ivy and brush in our yard They did a great job and were a total hit with the neighbors,

Goats!!
Posted by: davester
Date: October 31, 2019 09:10PM
Brush clearance by goats is very common in my neck of the woods. Many of the park districts, utilities and local governments use them. Way better than the guys with string trimmers.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: October 31, 2019 11:34PM
do the goats also eat the dead and rotting leaves and flora?
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: November 01, 2019 06:26AM
mrbigstuff
do the goats also eat the dead and rotting leaves and flora?

They'll eat damn near anything. The problem with goats is to them "the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence", so they prefer the neighbors yard to your own. My Dad solved that problem by giving his herd of goats to his neighbor.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 02, 2019 09:08AM
ztirffritz
Washington DOT advocate for use of goats to clear brush.

[www.wsdot.wa.gov]

I see them around Seattle every now and then. Usually hillsides. They always make me smile. Amazing what they can do to a hillside of blackberry brush.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 254
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020