advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FINALLY fig'd out how to get my ethernet transfers back up to speed
Posted by: hal
Date: October 31, 2019 06:43PM
I transfer lots of data from my imac to my mac mini via ethernet (via Comcast router) and I've been getting very fast transfers. I transfer from a 12TB spinny drive to a PCIe SSD on the mac mini. Transfer speeds have pretty much equalled the top speed of the spinny drive until recently. I used to transfer about 4-5GB in about a minute - maybe a little more.

A while back my UPS died and lots of hardware got cut off from power. All seemed just find once I got it running again, but my transfer rates plunged down to about 5min for a 2TB transfer.

This is not that uncommon. Since leaving 10.6, I see transfer rates drop or connections not happening. Turning file sharing off and on again on the imac has always fixed it... but not this time.

I restarted the mini, restarted the imac, restarted the router - I was sure this would fix it. Nope... Turned off wifi on both computers - nope... Reset the 'service order' to make sure eNet was used first. Nope... Turned off filesharing EVERYWHERE and back on again. Nope.

Did some research... someone somewhere suggested turning iP6 to 'local link only' (wtf??) - tried it - nope.

Then just before giving up hope and asking for help here, I unplugged the eNet cable from the router and plugged into an unused port for both machines and THAT did it. Don't know why... but that fixed it.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FINALLY fig'd out how to get my ethernet transfers back up to speed
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 31, 2019 06:54PM
I wonder if packets were being dropped

Date: October 31, 2019 07:09PM
is that even possible? The files appeared to be whole on the other end.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 31, 2019 07:29PM
Yes, most file transfer protocols require an ACKnowledge packet be received back by the sending system for every packet. If the sending system does not receive an ACK packet it resends the packet. The receiving system is responsible for assembling those packets properly back into a file, even if some come in out of order.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: October 31, 2019 08:59PM
Probably a poor connection or a bad cable that flexing made better. If it were me, I'd order some new Cat6 cables and recable all of it.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Mr645
Date: November 01, 2019 06:11AM
Sounds like you only have the two connections but I have experienced where one bad cable affects other network connections on the same network.
Date: November 01, 2019 01:56PM
I never thought of the cables - thanks all - I'll keep an eye on it
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020