Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
9 Members of Mormon Family in Mexico Are Killed
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 05, 2019 06:53AM
At Least 9 Members of Mormon Family in Mexico Are Killed in Ambush
Six children were among the victims in a massacre attributed to organized crime, family members said. Other children were rescued, some of whom hid along a roadside.

[www.nytimes.com]

"At least three women and six children in a prominent local Mormon family were killed on Monday when their vehicles were ambushed in northern Mexico by gunmen believed to be members of organized crime, family members said. The attack alarmed a nation already reeling from record violence this year.

Members of the LeBarón family, American citizens who have lived in a fundamentalist Mormon community in the border region for decades, were traveling in three separate vehicles when the gunmen attacked, several family members said. They described a terrifying scene in which one child was gunned down while running away, while others were trapped inside a burning car.

Two of the children killed were less than a year old, the family members said. Kenny LeBarón, a cousin of the women driving the vehicles, said in a telephone interview that he feared the death toll could grow higher.

“When you know there are babies tied in a car seat that are burning because of some twisted evil that’s in this world,” Mr. LeBarón said, “it’s just hard to cope with that.”
Mexico has suffered a string of violent episodes in the last month, each as devastating and infuriating for citizens as the last.

Fourteen police officers were killed in the state of Michoacán in the middle of last month, in an ambush stemming from violent clashes in the state. Days later, cartel gunmen laid siege to the city of Culiacán in the state of Sinaloa, forcing the government to release one of the sons of the infamous drug lord Joaquín Guzmán Loera, after having captured the son hours earlier."

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: 9 Members of Mormon Family in Mexico Are Killed
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 05, 2019 07:50AM
Was curious about the family name and came across this Wikipedia article about what appears to be a bloody family history that dates back to the late 80’s:

[en.wikipedia.org]

If these are members of the same family, I wonder if these killings may be some form of retaliation? I doubt it, as the drug cartel mistaken identity theory seems to make more sense (at least on the surface).
Date: November 05, 2019 08:14AM
Carnos Jax
Was curious about the family name and came across this Wikipedia article about what appears to be a bloody family history that dates back to the late 80’s:

[en.wikipedia.org]

If these are members of the same family, I wonder if these killings may be some form of retaliation? I doubt it, as the drug cartel mistaken identity theory seems to make more sense (at least on the surface).

That’s some whacked out family! After reading that Wikipedia article, I disagree with you about it being a drug cartel killing, especially because of all the children killed. To me, it seems more like someone in the cult probably did the killing.

It’s crazy to me that in the video linked in the article the police didn’t impound the still smoldering vehicle as evidence.

Posted by: datbeme
Date: November 05, 2019 08:27AM
Never heard of any of this. How has Hollywood missed out? Too much focus on superhero movies and reboots?

Edit: To clarify, I'm not referring to this recent tragedy but the bizarre and morbid history described in the Wikipedia article.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 08:37AM by datbeme.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 05, 2019 09:04AM
Links in the NYT article to other stories about the family make it seem more likely there's a connection with the family in the Wikipedia article.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 05, 2019 09:40AM
My recollection was that the Mormon enclave in Northern Mexico was larger than one family, but there were a lot of really creepy dynamics involved. Big Love could be one show that Hollywood has already made about this, just set in Utah for larger U.S. audience appeal.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: November 05, 2019 09:58AM
HBO's "Big Love" is a great show
Posted by: maco
Date: November 05, 2019 10:49AM
The Mexican Mormon War (Drug Cartels vs. Mormons Full Length)
[youtu.be]
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: November 05, 2019 10:50AM
Are these guys (LeBarons) still into child brides?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 10:51AM by Carnos Jax.
Date: November 05, 2019 10:54AM
Carnos Jax

[en.wikipedia.org]

So sad.

Church of the Firstborn (LeBaron order)
[en.wikipedia.org])

The Polygamist's Daughter
[youtu.be]

Anna LeBaron: How I escaped my father's murderous polygamous cult
[www.bbc.com]

The LeBaron family and social organization El Barzon are involved in a long-term dispute over scarce water resources in Chihuahua.
[www.telesurenglish.net]

Mexico’s drug war engulfs breakaway sect of Mormon Church
[www.seattletimes.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2019 11:25AM by maco.
Date: November 05, 2019 10:57AM
datbeme
Never heard of any of this. How has Hollywood missed out? Too much focus on superhero movies and reboots?

Edit: To clarify, I'm not referring to this recent tragedy but the bizarre and morbid history described in the Wikipedia article.

Prophet of Evil - 1993 CBS Tuesday Movie

[youtu.be]
Posted by: fauch
Date: November 05, 2019 03:51PM
"Organized Crime" doesn't generally target random families for no reason. Even the cartels. There is a LOT more to this story than being reported....
Posted by: hal
Date: November 05, 2019 03:52PM
Why does every article have the family's religion in the headline? That doesn't seem normal.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 05, 2019 05:30PM
hal
Why does every article have the family's religion in the headline? That doesn't seem normal.

Perhaps not a normal “family”???
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 06, 2019 08:54AM
hal

Because their religion is the reason they are located where they are; it's a relevant part of the story.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Date: November 06, 2019 10:25AM
It was either a nine y.o. or an eleven y.o. boy who walked 14 miles back for help. Tough kid!

Posted by: datbeme
Date: November 06, 2019 11:24AM
maco
datbeme

Prophet of Evil - 1993 CBS Tuesday Movie

[youtu.be]

Can't wait to see my wife's reaction when she tells me to pick out a movie, and I start streaming Prophet of Evil in it's early 90s glory. Looks fun though—especially starring Brian Dennehy.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 06, 2019 11:50AM
hal

A lot of people will recognize that it is a specific group of U.S. citizens that was attacked, just based on the religion and the area of the attack. It made a big difference to me to quickly know that it was an attack on the residents of the Mormon enclave there and not the cartels randomly hunting down vans full of U.S. tourists.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018