advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Garage Heater Acting Up... Looking for Suggestions / Options.
Posted by: spacescape
Date: November 06, 2019 06:41AM
I have an older Sterling 45,000 BTU garage heater (RF-45). It was installed around 1999 and taken down a couple of years later and put into storage. Then about 3-4 years ago I installed it into my house. This year, when I went to start it up for the first time it wouldn't fire up. After some research / trouble shooting the codes it was determined that the pressure sensor switch was bad. If you bypass it the heater turns right on and stays on. So, replaced the pressure sensor switch and it turns on yet won’t stay on (different code). I checked a few other things (Manual Rollout Sensor) and now I’m at a standstill and will be calling a furnace guy or just buying a new furnace (based on it’s age) or just accepting I’m not working on any projects in my garage this winter.

Who is it best to call to work on these?

I’m looking at new Sterling - GG45 (Mestek manufactures Beacon-Morris and some of the Trane). I'm "tempted" to get a Mr. Heater F260550 (about $400 compared to $700). But, the Mr. Heater gets so-so reviews (quality) so that might not be a good idea. I'm hoping to pull down the old one, put up the new one (hooking up the current flue) and call my gas guy (neighbor) to hook up the gas line.

Suggestions? Thoughts?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Garage Heater Acting Up... Looking for Suggestions / Options.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 06, 2019 07:00AM
spacescape
accepting I’m not working on any projects in my garage this winter.

Just pick your days. I don't work on things in my uninsulated, unheated garage when it is -30, I wait until it gets above zero - except when my snowblower needs work, then the temp doesn't matter, I fix it. My only issue is that my pneumatic tools don't work very well in the cold.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2019 07:01AM by Speedy.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 06, 2019 08:26AM
space, is yours a commercial heater or more of a consumer thing? (I realize it has a gas line, but so do kitchen ranges and they aren’t “commercial.”) Speaking of which, if you already have the gas line with a shut off valve, calling someone to connect it is kinda like calling someone to put gasoline in your car. There’s some inherent danger, but not much when paying attention.
Date: November 06, 2019 10:31AM
deckeda
space, is yours a commercial heater or more of a consumer thing? (I realize it has a gas line, but so do kitchen ranges and they aren’t “commercial.”) Speaking of which, if you already have the gas line with a shut off valve, calling someone to connect it is kinda like calling someone to put gasoline in your car. There’s some inherent danger, but not much when paying attention.

Yes, there is a shutoff... So, plug up there, duct work/flue and gas line with a shutoff. Not sure what you would call it but it's a garage heater by Sterling @ 45,000 BTU's. I'm assuming Sterling is a little higher end seeing the pricing is 30% higher in cost... but what do I know.
Posted by: iamrfixit
Date: November 06, 2019 12:17PM
With a pressure and rollout switches I would expect your heater has draft inducing fan that's either it's not running at full speed or the flue vent has gotten at least partially blocked. Maybe a bird or bees have made a home in the cap over the summer. Some 90% units that vent with PVC, a spider web can shut it down.

When the thermostat calls for heat, the fan should come on, the pressure switch detects negative pressure on the firebox and then the burner ignites. You are bypassing the pressure switch and then the rollout switch is activating, that means the fan is not inducing the draft as required. The rollout switch is just as it sounds, if heat/flame roll out of the burner area/firebox then these additional safety switches cut it off.

May just need a replacement fan, they do go bad over time. Any hvac guy should be able to fix it. If you're replacing look at the Modine Hot Dawg. It's a good unit by a quality mfr.
Date: November 07, 2019 07:22AM
Thanks... Was told to clean the flame sensor... However, someone at Sterling (I think) put it right behind the igniter and not sure how the heck I can get to it...
Posted by: iamrfixit
Date: November 07, 2019 10:05AM
You're having to bypass the pressure switch, it's almost certainly a draft inducer issue. Do you hear the fan start and run? The inducer motor is a common failure on any 80% or higher furnace. I've had to replace the one in my furnace probably 6 times in 20 years.

After you bypass the psi switch that allows the burner to ignite and because you have no draft, the heat/flame comes out of the burner compartment instead of being drawn up the flue, that's why the rollout switch trips it out.

The flame sensor detects if the burner has lit and allows the unit to run or fails and trips out the gas valve. Your problem is not the flame sense.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 269
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018