Interesting article on 5G
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 07, 2019 07:48AM
[boingboing.net]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Interesting article on 5G
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 07, 2019 09:15AM
Yeah. I watched a video with a guy who had a 5G capable phone test it out. It basically got him superspeed...as long as he was within line of site of the antenna and not too far away. And there was nothing interrupting his view. And the weather was nice and sunny. The minute any of those circumstances changed, pop! back to 4G. 5G is pretty silly.

found it: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 09:17AM by bazookaman.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 07, 2019 09:21AM
I’ve been saying for a while now in this forum how 5G is going to be a disappointment.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 07, 2019 10:53AM
My favorite line about 5G is from Andy Ihnatko, where he says, paraphrasing, remember Spinal Tap where this amp goes to 11? It's kinda like that.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: November 07, 2019 11:04AM
Here are Joanna Sterns findings when testing for WSJ. I heard her describe her experiences on a podcast, and it looks like flying cars might be a thing before we see reliable 5G coverage on phones that don't overheat in the summer months.

[www.wsj.com]
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: November 07, 2019 12:13PM
Sure, questions like this been asked before... but really really....

What do you need 5G truly for? In controlled environments, events - special AR, VR interactive content delivery is a great media play.... for creatives in the field needing big data uploads - great. But for most, regular stuff... is that 4K YouTube video going view better, faster on your phone? LTE already gives about 15-18X the speed needed for 4K playback... on a large display... you can't get faster than realtime. Faster email downloads? Faster OS updates that pre-dl anyway?

for most people it's not a game changer as LTE already exceeds speeds needed for realtime interaction. The same issue you have there, deployment of transmission points, will be a far longer road fro 5G deployment to match. I think people believe that if their coverage speed sucks now that 5G going fix that. Additional coverage fixes that whether it's 5G or 4G LTE.... a big difference.

And as noted above - need a lot more points covered too as distance... objects, everything substantially impacts 5G, far more than LTE.

There are amazing applications 5G will enable... but I think consumers being sold a bill of goods on this one imho. I'm also starting to have some concern with the millimeter wavelength and potential impact to biologicals.. us included.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 07, 2019 01:02PM
Data rates need to go down at least 90% for faster speeds to change much. When some carrier gives a reliable 250 Mbps with a monthly cap of 2 TB for $50, people will be dumping their cable companies.

I don't expect the speeds to be reliable in urban areas until at least 2026. Watching streaming 4K video in your car will take another couple of years after that. It took 4G almost six years for people to get good speeds in a large portion of the coverage area, and 5G is going to need at least six times as many antenna sites.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: November 07, 2019 01:38PM
When we can cut the cord - that's a whole different thing for fixed location connectivity.

I just question how much 5G - certainly within the next 3 years - is going to really impact your typical mobile experience vs. where LTE is currently available. My expectation is little to no real world impact.

For all things it does enable... on the consumer side, it's hype enabling the next big mobile device revenue surge... my humble opinion.

Reliability and wireless data cost - If had that now (I see sustained 100-120Mb/s rates over LTE on test where I am) - if wasn't capped and was always reliable, I'd dump cable data now. smiling smiley

Filliam H. Muffman
Data rates need to go down at least 90% for faster speeds to change much. When some carrier gives a reliable 250 Mbps with a monthly cap of 2 TB for $50, people will be dumping their cable companies.

I don't expect the speeds to be reliable in urban areas until at least 2026. Watching streaming 4K video in your car will take another couple of years after that. It took 4G almost six years for people to get good speeds in a large portion of the coverage area, and 5G is going to need at least six times as many antenna sites.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: November 07, 2019 01:42PM
OWC Larry
I just question how much 5G - certainly within the next 3 years - is going to really impact your typical mobile experience vs. where LTE is currently available. My expectation is little to no real world impact.

I don't think it will. I think the issue is that all the providers are hailing it as the second coming. Like OMG! We're doing you guys a favor and GIVING you 5G. You should worship us now!

Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 07, 2019 07:22PM
In some areas, like the South Lake Union area of Seattle, where Amazon is based, and Google, Apple and Facebook have a huge presence as well. Talking 5 thousand+ techies in each and every modest building, 4gLTE SUCKS! In the big towers, maybe closer to 10K. The cell providers don't care. No where to put towers in those concrete canyons, and you would need to lease space on every corner of every building to make a difference. It has GOT to be happening in other areas, and other cities.

I suspect that those who don't understand think 5G will help. Maybe it will, as it sounds like they need micro-cells on every corner of every building for 5G to work in that environment anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 07:23PM by Racer X.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 08, 2019 07:58AM
Fiber plus WiFi hubs is MUCH better than 5G.

However, the true value proposition for 5G is competing with crappy, non-fiber broadband. I will buy a 5G hub for a work project (no fiber in that unit for decades to come) so long as it isn’t throttled at 5 GB/month.

Mobile providers are promising this to government officials who are ignorant.

I have no plans for 5G smart phones in my near future.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 08:01AM by sekker.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 261
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018