Best selling music artists '69-'19 - Starts going downhill in the early 90's
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: November 07, 2019 10:12AM
Best selling music artists 1969-2019

Sped up version in this person's tweet:

[twitter.com]

Full 10 min timelapse video here: [www.youtube.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best selling music artists '69-'19 - Starts going downhill in the early 90's
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 07, 2019 10:22AM
If you're looking at absolute numbers, things do not appear to be going downhill.

Now if you want to argue that those who are selling huge numbers of hit songs since the early 90's are not really "artists", I'm with you there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 10:23AM by freeradical.
Re: Best selling music artists '69-'19 - Starts going downhill in the early 90's
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: November 07, 2019 10:29AM
freeradical
If you're looking at absolute numbers, things do not appear to be going downhill.

Now if you want to argue that those who are selling huge numbers of hit songs since the early 90's are not really "artists", I'm with you there.

By downhill, I was meaning to say that my musical tastes kind of stop aligning with the best selling artists starting in the early 1990's
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 07, 2019 10:36AM
Definitely a trend away from bands and singer-songwriters toward over-produced soloists singing other peoples' stuff backed by anonymous mercenary musicians.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 10:37AM by Acer.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 07, 2019 10:45AM
Definitely a trend away from bands and singer-songwriters toward over-produced soloists singing other peoples' stuff backed by anonymous mercenary musicians.

Agreed.

I will say that I have a few such songs that have caught my somewhat less than discerning ear based solely on beat/melody without respect for or concern of what wrong was done to the writer that prompted the song.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: jonny
Date: November 07, 2019 11:01AM
I would be interested to see this graph adjusted for inflation.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 07, 2019 11:17AM
That's from the Data is Beautiful YouTube channel. You can spend all day there because they chart every kind of thing.

This is a better assessment of where people's tastes are.

Most Popular Music Styles 1910 - 2019
[www.youtube.com]

Off topic, this one does The Largest Armies in the World 1816-2019
[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 07, 2019 01:29PM
I wish Billboard would make a collection of Top 40 playlists for 195? to today. Be fun listening!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing."
-- Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented."
-- Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theodore Roosevelt (1918)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 292
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018