advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Christmas season reminder to self: Stuff doesn't make me happy.
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 07, 2019 10:46AM
Black Friday deals and Christmas ads are already out. I caught myself looking at too many deals already.
Truth is, I don't need more stuff; I need to get rid of stuff. My 42" TV is big enough, and I don't need a new iPhone. Or socks. Or sweaters.

Now start focussing on meaningful presents for others, material or otherwise.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Christmas season reminder to self: Stuff doesn't make me happy.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 07, 2019 10:53AM
I've set a rule for years that I only want handmade stuff from my children. My daughter keeps my office supplied with little cartoons. My son makes little wooden gizmos. And I'm happy.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 07, 2019 11:07AM
Yes
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 07, 2019 11:20AM
....samesies.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 07, 2019 12:00PM
Although "Stuff®" makes my kids VERY happy, every year I literally plead with family and relatives to stop buying my kids more and more big bulky plasticky toys and "playsets" that they will play with for 3 days then spend an eternity in the garbage landfill. I know they all mean well and it's hard to get upset at them. But PLEASE ask the parents (us) about what is an appropriate gift for their kids.

A small toy or gift to unwrap to get that immediate smile from the kid and a Walmart, Target, Justice, BarnesNoble gift card is so appreciated.
Posted by: rz
Date: November 07, 2019 12:13PM
I just want my MIL and SIL to stop giving us Xmas "stuff" like ornaments every year. First off, they always say it's a gift for "us" (my wife and me), but I sure as hell don't want this crap. And second, we've spent something like 23 of the last 25 Xmases up north at my in-laws' for the week before and after Xmas. And we have 5 cats now. We don't even decorate for Xmas half the time. It used to be because we were so busy that we didn't have time to decorate. Add in 5 very mischievous cats, and the desire to decorate is gone.

I spent around $700 for overhead shelving in our garage that most holds Xmas stuff we don't use. If it were up to me, we'd get rid of most of it. We have enough ornaments to decorate 3 or 4 trees, and we don't even put one up anymore.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 07, 2019 12:14PM
3d
Although "Stuff®" makes my kids VERY happy, every year I literally plead with family and relatives to stop buying my kids more and more big bulky plasticky toys and "playsets" that they will play with for 3 days then spend an eternity ...
FWIW... DONATE THEM ! Thrift stores, toys for toys (preferably like new / new), etc... My kids went through their toys periodically and donated what they didn't want.

We kept all the LEGO though. We have GALLONS of Lego. Um... approx 80 gallons.
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 07, 2019 12:28PM
cbelt3
3d
Although "Stuff®" makes my kids VERY happy, every year I literally plead with family and relatives to stop buying my kids more and more big bulky plasticky toys and "playsets" that they will play with for 3 days then spend an eternity ...
FWIW... DONATE THEM ! Thrift stores, toys for toys (preferably like new / new), etc... My kids went through their toys periodically and donated what they didn't want.

Most (if not all) toy charities / drop off boxes want brand new toys, unopened, still in the package. Good luck with that on Christmas morning. And/or the family member/relative standing there goading the kid to "Go ahead open it!" If it was brand new and in the packaging, no problem, I would just return it to the store. No receipt? Just bring it to Walmart or Target for a gift card. Nowadays, toys/gifts for kids from relatives/family come from there 90% of the time.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 07, 2019 01:02PM
Clearly, you dont have enough stuff. =)

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 07, 2019 02:12PM
I've gotten to the point where I have too much stuff. Relatives ask for christmas lists so I do have one. It's filled with small items like ukulele music books. I need to think of some more "consumable" type gifts. I should put vanilla coke on my list and see if anybody can find some...
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 07, 2019 02:26PM
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 07, 2019 05:37PM
cbelt3

That is your retirement fund right there.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 07, 2019 05:50PM
.....LEGO.....your....eggo......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 263
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018