advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Speaking of car batteries, how long do Hybrid car batteries last?
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 07, 2019 10:56AM
Family member is looking at a Prius. Budget dictates around 8 years old or older.
I told her it's probably a bad idea because of the cost of a new hybrid battery, but I don't know the details?

Has anyone here had to replace one? Cost? I vague remember a forumite mention $3000?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Speaking of car batteries, how long do Hybrid car batteries last?
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 07, 2019 11:10AM
A hair longer than their warranties. devil smiley

But seriously; in 2017 we replaced the main battery in a 2003 Prius with an after-market, remanufactured, 18-month-warranty battery for $1,840.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 07, 2019 11:13AM
What is her budget?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 07, 2019 11:23AM
Dealer will extract a gonad in compensation, $3000 is probably not an unlikely number from what I've heard people say. Third-party services are on the rise that will do it for $2000 or less and I will look to them when the time comes. You can see quotes online if you want a ballpark. My 2010 Prius has just begun its 11th year of service, 103K, no problems yet.
Date: November 07, 2019 11:32AM
By the way, if you look up Wags' posts, his taxi company runs Prius. He said in one past thread he was getting about 150k out of them, under heavy use conditions.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 07, 2019 11:33AM
I drive a 2007 Prius with 270,000 miles (about) on it.
Still on the original battery. Still going strong. I've dropped 3 mpg over the last two years, so I MAY be starting to see the beginnings of some of the cells having problems.

A "new" OEM battery is expensive, but there are TONS of refurbished, and "new using OEM cells" and even a couple "new using non-oem cells" for under $1200-$1500.

Installation is not a huge chore if you're using to working on cars... fortunately, the main battery is accessible from the trunk. Tons of YouTube videos on replacing Prius batteries.

Edit: I have my eye on this kit for when it's "time"... brand new batteries, just not the OEM Toyota cells. [store.newpriusbatteries.com]

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 11:37AM by Paul F..
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 07, 2019 11:38AM
Speedy
What is her budget?

carmax says 2012 prius is anywhere from $11K to $17K depending on miles and options.

And why a prius? I mean, I get the mileage, and if you are a high mileage driver maybe there is a benefit... but if not, dont need to be so limited?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 07, 2019 11:47AM
Speedy
What is her budget?

She wants a $5000 car. Maybe $6000 if it's a Prius. But with a battery replacement it would be $8000.
I think a Civic or Corolla would be better.
And, she's about as non-mechanical as you can get.
Posted by: clay
Date: November 07, 2019 12:07PM
I think a 7 year old Prius would be a great choice. In 2015 we bought our 2008 Prius with about 150k miles for just over $5k, I think. It has been a fantastic car for us. Zero problems. Super low maintenance costs. No indication of any issue with the battery yet.

If you could find a Gen3 Prius in the 2010-12 range, I think you'd probably be in good shape.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 07, 2019 12:17PM
A $5K car Honda or Toyota will be 12 years old and have over 100K miles on it. Depending on selection and wear and rust (!) it will last her at least 50K miles before she needs major repairs. My 200K mile plus Hondas take one major ($1K) repair per year so far.

Also timing belts which run $800 every 100K miles.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: November 07, 2019 01:08PM
Source for rebuilt Prius battery packs:
[www.electronautomotive.com]

Discussion of changing the battery:
[www.autotrader.com]

Video talking about and showing the exchange:
[www.youtube.com]

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 07, 2019 03:14PM
This guy says to stay away from 2010s.

[www.youtube.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 07, 2019 03:26PM
jdc
This guy says to stay away from 2010s.

[www.youtube.com]

Oil consumption from piston rings...yep, I got that beginning to show on my 2010. Just means more frequent checks and top-offs for now.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 07, 2019 06:04PM
Acer
By the way, if you look up Wags' posts, his taxi company runs Prius. He said in one past thread he was getting about 150k out of them, under heavy use conditions.

I contacted Wags offline and the place they use in Portland OR works up here in Seattle too.

Anyway, a rebuilt pack with 3 year unlimited mileage is about $1500 installed where you are. For a taxi/lyft/uber that is an ideal solution. It might not last 3 years under that kind of use, but they will replace it again, where the car is, for 3 years. Shorter warranty, less money options.

HOWEVER, I have yet to find ANY info on a Prius Plug-In traction battery replacement. Completely different battery. Less that 80K were made 2012-2014. I have one. It's the battery design/chemistry that has evolved into current Toyota hybrids.
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 07, 2019 07:34PM
I hope I don't need them for a while yet (138k on my 2012 Prius C), but I've bookmarked this place for whenever the time comes. Lifetime Unlimited Mileage Warranty. Installation included in the battery price. In my case: $1549.
Date: November 07, 2019 07:52PM
I had a chat with GreenBean about a Lithium pack for a Prius Plug-In, and they are looking into it. (edit) Already heard back. Answer was dunno smiley

FYI, the Lithium pack and power management systems in the 2012-14 Plug-Ins are the origin of the current Toyota lithium packs and power systems. They switched over in 2017? I believe, and the entire Toyota hybrid fleet had about a 5 mpg economy jump from the new tech.

The new Prius Prime is a plug in, and easily gets over 60 mpg. My '13 gets about 55 in spring/fall with no heat or A/C running, and lights off.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 08:01PM by Racer X.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 07, 2019 09:45PM
Honda hybrid owner here - Prius batteries have aged far better than Honda.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 07, 2019 10:05PM
> how long do Hybrid car batteries last?

Under California state law, 15 years or 150,000 miles.

This info is probably still pretty accurate, tho I expect that Toyota batteries have improved incrementally since it was published.
[www.cbsnews.com]

Posted by: GGD
Date: November 07, 2019 10:20PM
Sarcany

The CA emissions law is 10 years 150K miles for the battery.

[ww2.arb.ca.gov]

"10 years/ 150k miles battery or other energy storage device"
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 07, 2019 10:39PM
GGD
Sarcany

[ww2.arb.ca.gov]

Ah! Thanks!

I read it wrong.

It's 15years or 150,000 miles defects/performance warranty for a PZEV EXCEPT for the battery.

Date: November 07, 2019 11:02PM
Sarcany
GGD
Sarcany

[ww2.arb.ca.gov]

Ah! Thanks!

I read it wrong.

It's 15years or 150,000 miles defects/performance warranty for a PZEV EXCEPT for the battery.

And this week I discovered that the TPMS sensor batteries in my Prius last about 12 1/2 years.
Date: November 08, 2019 12:49AM
you are supposed to replace them every time you get new tires. tire shop not tell you? or never replaced the original tires?
Date: November 08, 2019 02:23AM
Racer X
you are supposed to replace them every time you get new tires. tire shop not tell you? or never replaced the original tires?

Got tires twice, both times at Costco, never mentioned it. Doesn't look like the battery itself can be replaced, the whole sensor needs to be replaced and 4/5 of them (is there one in the spare?) gets to be pretty pricey. The dash light is going to remain on at least until the next set of tires, maybe until EOL of the car. I have a pressure gauge in the glove box and I use it every few months, tells me a lot more than an idiot light, and I don't really need a light to tell me that I have a flat tire, there are other more obvious hints.

Although this incident did get me to check the pressure on the spare, and that's also when I saw on it's sidewall that it's supposed to be at 60 PSI, and it was at around 35, so it got filled.
Date: November 08, 2019 05:30AM
Buck
Speedy
What is her budget?

She wants a $5000 car. Maybe $6000 if it's a Prius. But with a battery replacement it would be $8000.
I think a Civic or Corolla would be better.
And, she's about as non-mechanical as you can get.

At that price point ($8k) she can get a Volt. Much nicer than a Prius (IMHO). She should give one a test drive. Not much mechanical required. After my last oil change my next service was 50k miles into the future - except for tire rotations. She will have to plug it in nightly and if she doesn't have access to an outlet, e.g., she lives in an apartment building, a PHEV (Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicle) isn't for her. But if she can plug it in then this is a good way to go, especially if she drives less than forty miles a day.

[www.cars.com]

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 08, 2019 08:38AM
you are supposed to replace them every time you get new tires.

My guess is that's to prevent a dead battery somewhere in between tire changes.

I remember changing oil every 3000mi instead of 10000.

And at the cost of replacing two to four sensors at a time, I'd skip a replacement interval or three.

12.5 years is a good run.

Somebody should make them battery-less. Piezio-electric devices can generate juice. Watches like Seiko use kinetics to generate juice. Maybe too pricey for TPMS systems, but it could be done.

Make them loss leader items and make it up in volume.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 08, 2019 04:27PM
“TPMS Life Expectancy

The estimated life expectancy of an OE TPMS sensor is 5 to 12 years, with the average lifespan being 7 years. TPMS life expectancy is directly related to the number of radio frequency transmissions the sensors make. Driving habits greatly influence the number of RF transmissions a sensor makes in its lifetime. For example: sensors usually transmit when the vehicle is stopped and transmit more often when in motion. Maintaining a constant speed, such as when you're on a highway, reduces the demand on TPMS sensors and allow the sensors to transmit less often. Drivers who often find themselves driving in start-and-stop type traffic will have a greater impact on the vehicles tire pressure monitoring sensors. Weather can also have an impact on tire pressure sensor battery life. Cold conditions allow batteries to last longer. Warmer conditions take more of a toll on TPMS battery life.”

Date: November 08, 2019 05:11PM
are you talking about the replaceable battery being consumed, or the unit failing?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 08, 2019 05:52PM
That is the unit failing because the battery has died. Most TPMS units do not have a replaceable battery.

As for something you were told by a "tire shop", some do like to sell you expensive items you don't need. My shop says nothing of the kind, just replace them if they are damaged or no longer working.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 274
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018