advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
itunes file structure confusion
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 07, 2019 04:42PM
A long time ago I told iTunes to organize my files and the result was all movies were inside their own folder, tv shows were inside their own folder and subfolders for season etc. I noticed this week that iTunes had stopped doing this. Now it's simply dumping all files int /iTunes/TV Shows/showname or iTunes/Movies with no subfolders. I unchecked "organize files" and rechecked it with no luck. How can I get iTunes to go back?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 04:42PM by davemchine.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: itunes file structure confusion
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 07, 2019 05:13PM
OCD?
Date: November 07, 2019 05:43PM
It's only a problem because all of my files prior to this week are filed one way and all the files from this week are another way. I don't care which way iTunes wants to do it but I would like the entire library to be the same.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 07, 2019 07:30PM
I have never permitted iTunes to organize my media files -- I do it myself according to my preferences.

It is what it is.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 07, 2019 08:03PM
davemchine
It's only a problem because all of my files prior to this week are filed one way and all the files from this week are another way. I don't care which way iTunes wants to do it but I would like the entire library to be the same.

Can the iTunes interface still locate (use) the content? If so, you're OK.
Date: November 07, 2019 10:33PM
It appears that a single dead track (missing file, ! etc) stops iTunes from using the "organize my files" feature. At least it does for me as it stops whenever it finds a dead track. I can remove that track but then it stops if it finds another. I'm currently using a script to identify and potentially remove dead links as a group. [dougscripts.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 08, 2019 07:31AM
davemchine

agree smiley

It's not a bug; it's a FEATURE. eye rolling smiley

We've been "Timmy..ed"
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 08, 2019 07:49AM
Here’s what I always did: tell iTunes to do the work for me

1) verify in iTunes prefs that your library location is correct/what you want and that the “add songs to iTunes library” or whatever that checkmark is called is checked. This checkmark allows iTunes to move files and not merely reference them, which would be a recipe for despair.

2) drag that library folder (not the library file, but that rather, the huge folder where all songs and videos are!) into iTunes and drop it into the left pane area

iTunes will take everything inside that main content folder and “re-add” to the database. Doesn’t matter that there’s a folder structure already within that library folder. What happens is it sees a file, and now knows where it is. Existing songs/movies that were not a problem are ignored because there’s nothing to fix.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 282
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018