advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Let's talk smoke detectors
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 07, 2019 09:35PM
Six or seven years ago, I learned that you're supposed to replace smoke detectors every 10 years. The ones in my house were probably original, which meant they were about 20 years old. So I went down to Home Depot and bought a bunch.

They've been mostly good, though over the past year we've had a number of false alarms. Sometimes it's been from some humidity from a bathroom, but often it's been because of nothing. Several times now it's been in the middle of the night. I told the Mrs that if it happened again, I'd buy new ones.

Well, it happened again. This time it was to a hard to reach one that I hadn't pulled down, blasted and vacuumed. So I did that and now it's been less than a week and they've gone off again. This time it was a hall one and there was no smoke or anything. So I'm going to buy all new ones.

Any suggestions on what to get? These are all Kidde ones. It seems like every brand has plenty of reports of false alarms.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Let's talk smoke detectors
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 07, 2019 09:55PM
The Red Cross put up 4 or 5 Kidde alarms a couple of years ago with the 10-year batteries and none of them have gone off when they shouldn't. I can look up the model numbers later if you want me to, but I bet they have been discontinued.
Date: November 07, 2019 10:02PM
These didn't give any false alarms for the first few years. They're still sold - KN-COPE-I

I wonder which model you're referring to.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 07, 2019 10:08PM
i9010 - the ion type.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 07, 2019 11:57PM
Replaced all mine with basic first alert 10 year ones, maybe 5 years ago.

Ones that came with the house were ugly giant warts, replaced with low profile style. Costco, maybe $30 for 2. Never beeped a false alarm.

Assuming its everywhere, but at least in CA all new homes have sprinker systems standard.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2019 11:58PM by jdc.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 08, 2019 02:10AM
I just got the 2 pack that Costco sells about 5 months ago - the reviews areen't great, but they haven't beeped once - they have a 10 year battery and are a very low profile, unlike thee 20 year old ones they replaced
Posted by: Forrest
Date: November 08, 2019 05:31AM
I would relocate the alarm further away from the bathroom.

Many recent Kidde alarms have a 10 year warranty. I had a Kidde Smoke/CO detector that was 2 1/2 years old that wouldn't pass the self test after replacing the batteries. I called kid, answered 2 questions and they sent a free replacement that arrived a week later. The replacement was new and worked. Kidde told me to dispose of the old unit.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 08, 2019 09:41AM
My house was wired for the Kidde brand alarms; replaced mine at about the 11 or 12 year mark (not realizing the 10-year recommended lifespan thing). It was fairly cheap (bought a contractor pack via Amazon) and a quick (if noisy b'c of pressing the test button) go of replacement.

I stuck with the Kidde b'c of the house being pre-wired for the device -- If it wasn't, I may have shopped other brands -- and though my old detectors were discontinued, the replacements used the same coupling.

Speaking to the rep at Kidde via email, who confirmed compatibility for me, she said that one of the things they're looking into is built-in rechargeable battery backup (i.e., no ladder & box of 9VT annually) and (what I want) an app to monitor the devices. I'd pay more for a device system setup that would tell me exactly which detector has gone bad or has a bad battery (being hearing impaired, that @#$%& chirp in the middle of the night is almost imperceptible as to which one exactly is causing the issue).

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 08, 2019 10:32AM
I bought a few Kiddie 10 year dual smoke/carbon monoxide. Only had them go off twice: once when I forgot something on the stove, one when a candle wick got a little too long after burning for 15 hours (I had it in a cake pan, no chance of catching fire).

They ought to be at least 3 feet away from bathroom that will release a cloud of moisture when the door is opened. An always on fan/light combo can help (there are quiet fans).

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 08, 2019 10:57AM
Forrest
I would relocate the alarm further away from the bathroom.

I can't. Because of the regulations and how that part of my house is laid out, there's three smoke/co detectors within a few feet of each other. I wish I could get quieter ones as well. They're required to be 75dB, but most are 85dB. These are hardwired. When one goes off, they all go off.

Also, it's only been once or twice that it was the steam that set it off. There's been three others that have gone off on their own with nothing around, and are a long way away from the bathroom.

When they go off, my response is now to start ripping them off the ceiling, disconnecting power and yanking out batteries. The hush buttons don't work. Sadly, these last two times that happens before I bother to see if there's an actual fire.

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 08, 2019 11:00AM
I replaced our hard-wired First Alert smoke alarms with First Alert combination smoke/CO alarms a couple of years ago; bought pack of six from Amazon. Have had only one set off the system in the middle of the night. Not sure why; after resetting, it's been fine. Found out that the FAs have a light that blinks rapidly to tell you which alarm triggered the alarm.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: November 08, 2019 11:24AM
These ones have that too. And after the alarms silence, the light isn't lit so you can still tell which one set it off.

Posted by: davester
Date: November 08, 2019 08:43PM
I just went through this. After much research I went with the rather expensive Nest smoke/CO alarms since all the others have poor reputations for false alarms, etc. The current generation are reputed to be very reliable (not so with he first gen). They also interconnect via wirelessly (bluetooth I think, but don't quote me), can be controlled or tested from your phone, and will alert your phone via wifi if one goes off when you're not home. To me, that's worth the price of admission right there.. Also, if one goes off, you will hear voice announcements telling you which one is being triggered (i.e. "Smoke in kids bedroom!"). You can get either AC or battery powered ones and either type will network together. Also, Costco has the best price but you have to buy two-packs (not so helpful if you need an odd number).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: November 08, 2019 08:57PM
Thanks davester. I was curious why no one had brought those up.

Posted by: Michael
Date: November 09, 2019 05:08AM
I replaced our 30 year old Radio Shack security system that had hardwired smoke detectors with a Ring system. I bought the First Alert Z-wave smoke/CO detectors that work with the system. It was interesting to me that the instructions said to put the kitchen one something like 15 feet from the stove. My original smoke detector was only a few feet away and would go off when we burned something. I just left the originals in place and installed the new ones. They've been perfect so far.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 263
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018