Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
November 7, 1997: The Newton MessagePad 2100
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 08, 2019 08:12AM
[www.cultofmac.com]

As I wrote when marking the 1993 launch of the original MessagePad, I think this product line remains the most underrated in Apple’s history. Apple’s first attempt at a true standalone mobile device (unlike, say, the Macintosh Portable or the PowerBook, which were shrunk-down Macs), the MessagePad gave users a PDA complete with stylus and advanced handwriting recognition.

Unfortunately, it suffered from bad early word of mouth. The device came at a time when Apple found itself mired in the financial doldrums. Plus, the MessagePad lacked the necessary applications to make it a “must have” gadget. Most crucially, this pre-internet mobile device simply arrived too early. The MessagePad would have benefited enormously from internet connectivity..

With that said, the MessagePad 2100 was the best MessagePad ever released. It boasted a 162-MHz StrongARM 110 processor, 8MB of Mask ROM and 8MB of RAM (4MB of DRAM and 4MB of flash RAM).

While primitive by today’s standards, its 16-level grayscale, backlit LCD display — offering a 480-by-320 resolution with 100 dpi — was very good for its time.

The Newton’s use of artificial intelligence also greatly improved by the time the MessagePad 2100 came around. It did things like show contextual awareness of what a person was writing. The device’s oft-criticized handwriting-recognition feature also worked better than ever by this point.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: November 7, 1997: The Newton MessagePad 2100
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 08, 2019 08:20AM
Under Siege 2
This is a video of all scenes with the Apple Newton from Steven Segal's movie "Under Siege 2".

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 08, 2019 08:44AM
......I'm older.....than that......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 08, 2019 09:20AM
The contextual awareness and content ability was and still is next level. Even current systems don't approximate it well. Too much segregation.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 08, 2019 09:50AM
grinning smiley

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 08, 2019 10:56AM
I spent a few months working in Apple Support in Austin right after the Newton was launched. We knew it was a dud when they started giving Newtons away to employees in "incentive" contests.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 08, 2019 11:11AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 320
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018