advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
ad blocker for Safari
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 08, 2019 08:48AM
It is crazy how many advertisements there are on a web page. Which ad blocker do you recommend?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: ad blocker for Safari
Posted by: pinion
Date: November 08, 2019 09:32AM
Personally I would recommend getting a raspberry pi and installing Pi Hole on it. If you have some other machine that is on 24/7 you could also install it there. Then you set your router to use that machine as the DNS and it will block pretty much whatever you want.

Apologies, I know you're probably looking for a plugin but I don't use Safari. If you can get uBlock Origin for Safari I would go that route too.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 08, 2019 10:05AM
Another recommendation for uBlock Origin if you run a compatible version.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 08, 2019 10:12AM
If it's a recently-upgraded version of Safari you're basically stuck with whatever plug-ins are on the Mac App Store. There are more adding each day but Apple changed the game a bit with one of the recent updates to the browser.

Posted by: pinion
Date: November 08, 2019 12:27PM
Maybe something like this would work?

[github.com]

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 08, 2019 01:41PM
davemchine
It is crazy how many advertisements there are on a web page. Which ad blocker do you recommend?

I have been using—and recommending—1Blocker for several years:

[1blocker.com]

It's an excellent content blocker but unfortunately, the developers seem to be going to a subscription model…

An alternative that is currently free is Adguard for Safari:

[apps.apple.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 08, 2019 02:44PM
Which ad blocker do you recommend?

As mentioned, it depends on your version of OS (vs iOS) and Safari.

With Mavs and Sierra, I use AdBlockPlus and uBlock, both free from the App Store.

When I upgraded another Mac to High Sierra, and then upgraded Safari, I lost the ability to use either of those.

I check the Mac App Store once a week, hoping they'll be upgraded (and still free!) but no joy, last I looked.

There was something about AdGuard that I didn't like, and had a tough time getting rid of it in High Sierra's Safari.

I accidentally installed in in Sierra's Safari, but it was easy, surprisingly, to remove.

Unfortunately, this means I have to keep FireFox handy on High Sierra, until an acceptable blocker is available.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 08, 2019 11:22PM
RAMd®d
There was something about AdGuard that I didn't like, and had a tough time getting rid of it in High Sierra's Safari.

This page by the developer of uBlock Origin for Safari notes that there are two blockers called "Adguard," one that he recommends called "Adguard for Safari" and a second choice called "Adguard for Mac". They are both made by the same company, i.e. Adguard Software Limited:

[github.com]

Very confusing…
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 300
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018