advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pepper Spray Gel reduces chances of cross contaminating yourself in defensive situations
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 08, 2019 08:57AM
Pepper spray gel is different from previous pepper spray because the ingredients are now suspended in a sticky solution. This helps prevent you from inadvertently contaminating yourself in a defensive situation in an enclosed area or windy day. I take this with me when I jog because there have been several dog attacks in my area. I believe the models spray at least 12 feet or more.

There are various sizes of Sabre Red Gel at Amazon [www.amazon.com]

I prefer this model because it can reach 18 feet and has a cover that reduces your chances of accentual discharge [www.amazon.com]

Video talking about the difference between the gel and previous sprays [www.youtube.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 09:12AM by pRICE cUBE.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pepper Spray Gel reduces chances of cross contaminating yourself in defensive situations
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 08, 2019 09:11AM
I'd still be VERY skeptical. Having used chemical MACE and then Pepper Spray occasionally in 30+ years as a Police Officer, it's VERY RARE to NOT have at least a little of the substance come back to you. These sprays are NOT the panacea their sellers would like people to believe they are.
Re: Pepper Spray Gel reduces chances of cross contaminating yourself in defensive situations
Date: November 08, 2019 09:22AM
testcase
I'd still be VERY skeptical. Having used chemical MACE and then Pepper Spray occasionally in 30+ years as a Police Officer, it's VERY RARE to NOT have at least a little of the substance come back to you. These sprays are NOT the panacea their sellers would like people to believe they are.

It reduces the amount of spray that can be blown back. The video examples on youtube show there is some aerosolizing occurring.

It is also good to learn some self defense tactics and have an awareness of one's surroundings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 09:23AM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: November 08, 2019 09:35AM
[peppersprayinfo.com]

Foam based pepper spray fans out over a wider area so you don’t have to aim as carefully. This is critical in situations where you don’t have time to carefully line up a shot. This type of oleoresin capsicum (OC) spray, is ideal for use in your home against burglars. It’s easy to wipe away after the incident, thus preventing accidents and contamination of your furniture. Depending on the manufacturer and formulation these units can have a range of between 6 to 10 feet.

Gel pepper SprayGel-based pepper sprays are also designed for safe use indoors. They’re somewhat heavier than foams, which means that they fly farther, with a range between 15 and 20 feet. They are less affected by wind if you use them outside. The straighter shot means that you do need to aim them more precisely. Thanks to their tacky nature gel pepper sprays stick to your attacker’s skin to stay in place even when they’re thrashing around, which can provide vital seconds that provide you with a better chance of escape.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 10:43AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: John B.
Date: November 08, 2019 10:36AM
There have been some issues with pepper spray foam and pepper spray gel where the binder/carrier allows wiping away the product, diminishing its effectiveness. And (isolated) cases where those "in the know" can throw some of the product back at you/others.

Like testcase noted, nothing is perfect. Train with what you carry (and stay upwind when deploying if you can)
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 08, 2019 10:40AM
Back in the mid-1970's, I took a boatload of Open Competitive Civil Service tests as I had NO idea of what I wanted to do with my life. I passed on several job offers (Federal jobs in particular had abysmal salaries) but, wound up working as a Bus Operator in NYC, then a NYC Corrections Officer (NOT realizing that a "Correction Officer" = "Prison Guard" smiley-shocked003 , luckily, that job only lasted four months before Suffolk County hired me) and finally a Suffolk County Police Officer for 32+ years. Back then, as a "dumb kid", I had NO clue as to the value of a fixed benefit pension but, I've been appreciating have one since I retired ~ eight years ago. old fogey smiley
Date: November 08, 2019 10:46AM
I didn't realize how many law enforcement officers on this forum.

Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 08, 2019 12:36PM
My vote goes for aerosol with UV die.

Of course a red or green dot on the chest is a great communicator.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 08, 2019 12:45PM
....blow....back.......????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 08, 2019 02:13PM
There's always the risk of blowback with aerosol sprays.

More than once other cops have been affected when somebody, amped up sprays without without regard to fellow officers and more than the bad guy is taken out of commission.

It's no leap to assume nothing is perfect.

I've used Mace/CN with varying results. Knowing that it doesn't always work is crucial.

Pepper spray/OC works in situations where Mace won't, but it isn't perfect either. I never carried OC.

Tasers are awesome, but they too have their limitations, and when somebody pulls the barbs out is still combative, you have to step up your game. And they're pricey, for civilians, and most if not all are single-use.

Despite the weaknesses of any of these tools, less-lethal force is an absolute necessity. You just have to know any tool's strengths and weaknesses.

For pRICE's use, OC gel sounds perfect.

A dog might wipe some of it off, but isn't likely to fling it back.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 05:45PM by RAMd®d.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 08, 2019 02:49PM
....this Pepper.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: btfc
Date: November 08, 2019 03:01PM
I let people use my expired bear spray for test sprays so they can gain some experience. I try to warn them to pay attention to possible blowback. I was showing one guy who was too impatient to listen and he got a pretty good dose. I saw what was about to happen, and avoided most of it but the little that I got was not at all enjoyable. It could be a real problem in an actual bear incident.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 08, 2019 04:04PM
btfc
I let people use my expired bear spray for test sprays so they can gain some experience. I try to warn them to pay attention to possible blowback. I was showing one guy who was too impatient to listen and he got a pretty good dose. I saw what was about to happen, and avoided most of it but the little that I got was not at all enjoyable. It could be a real problem in an actual bear incident.

Bear spray expires? I assume the active ingredient is fine, just that the can may have lost pressure?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: jonny
Date: November 08, 2019 05:18PM
This dude is virtually blink free: [www.youtube.com]
Date: November 08, 2019 05:39PM
A police officer told me that 2% of the population will not be affected by OC spray. Make sure you have a backup plan or wherewithal to get out of the situation as soon as possible.

Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 08, 2019 05:52PM
A police officer told me that 2% of the population will not be affected by OC spray.

Similar was true of Mace when it was the GoTo.

Supposedly, Native Americans were seldom affected by Mace. Extremely belligerent people and some drunks were likewise supposed to be less to unaffected by it, as well.

That was the motivation to switching to OC/pepper spray. I don't know about Native Americans but extremely agitated people and some drunks can still get through it.

Make sure you have a backup plan or wherewithal to get out of the situation as soon as possible.

Always the best advice. Most of these self-defense devices are just stop-gaps or should be used as such to allow you to escape, if possible, to a safe place.

Oh, and always wear sensible shoes.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 08, 2019 07:59PM
pRICE cUBE
I didn't realize how many law enforcement officers on this forum.

How do you think we keep the riff raff out?

Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 08, 2019 08:45PM
More of a Barney Miller vibe than the original Dragnet though.

That's why the coffee pot in the break room smells like Korean fish soup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2019 08:47PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 09, 2019 05:54AM
Thanks! I've been looking for something for my next trip to Popeye's that I can use for line-cutters and spicing up my chicken sandwich.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 293
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018