advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need San Fransico tips
Posted by: pinion
Date: November 09, 2019 10:15AM
Wife surprised me with a trip to San Fransico. Not really sure what to do but I know we will probably visit the bridge and watch the sunset one night. I'll finally get to try In-N-Out which has been a 20 year dream of mine. Anything that's a must do while we are there?

EDIT: I guess the first tip would be to teach me how to spell San Francisco.... LOL

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2019 10:22AM by pinion.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need San Fransico tips
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 09, 2019 10:20AM
.....Alcatraz.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: tortoise
Date: November 09, 2019 10:22AM
If you rent a car DO NOT leave anything of value in the car even in the trunk, current smash and grab thieves are out of control and many tourists have lost all their luggage and other valuables. The thieves know how to identify the rental cars and target them. Just remember there is a large population of homeless and desperate people looking for a quick buck and be aware of your surroundings. Sorry to say it is not a very friendly city these days.
Date: November 09, 2019 10:23AM
NewtonMP2100
.....Alcatraz.....??

That's a great idea!

tortoise
If you rent a car DO NOT leave anything of value in the car even in the trunk, current smash and grab thieves are out of control and many tourists have lost all their luggage and other valuables. The thieves know how to identify the rental cars and target them. Just remember there is a large population of homeless and desperate people looking for a quick buck and be aware of your surroundings. Sorry to say it is not a very friendly city these days.

Thanks for the tip. Definitely going to be a change for this Indiana boy.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Posted by: jonny
Date: November 09, 2019 10:29AM
[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 09, 2019 10:39AM
On the wharf there are a few bike rental outfits so you can bike to the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito. Legs were sore for a few days afterward though because I tried to power up hills instead of walking it.

Don't as the street musicians to play "I Left my Heart in SF", they are sick of that song.

Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 09, 2019 10:45AM
NewtonMP2100
.....Alcatraz.....??

definitely.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: November 09, 2019 10:47AM
tortoise

Friend of mine had a gutiar stolen out of a rental van in SF last year. hadn't even been in the restaurant 5 minutes and it was not in plain site.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 09, 2019 11:10AM
Summer is cold and winter is warm.

Posted by: Bo
Date: November 09, 2019 11:30AM
Major thread with lots of info from 2017 here: [forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: MikeF
Date: November 09, 2019 11:34AM
Unless it's months away from the trip, Alcatraz will be booked up. It needs to be booked online way in advance. [Learned the hard way]
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 09, 2019 11:47AM
pRICE cUBE
Summer is cold and winter is warm.

yeah, might help to know when you are going. =)

And SF as in downtown SF? Where are you staying?

I didnt visit those other threads, and Im sure they mentioned museums, which are good, but stuck inside and could easily take days.

IMHO, prepare to be underwhelmed.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 09, 2019 12:03PM
buy tickets to Alcatraz now, they sell out several weeks ahead of time

bring layers: it can he hot one minute, then you turn the corner and it's windy and shadow and you feel cold

rent a car and go in Napa valley to see some wineries

go south to Monterey and on the way there do the 17 mile drive

we spent 8 days in SFO and loved it. Like Mark Twain once said, the coldest winter was the Summer in SF. We were there at end of August and it was cold.
Date: November 09, 2019 12:15PM
if you do rent a car include a visit to the redwoods in Muir Woods.

Date: November 09, 2019 12:25PM
graylocks
if you do rent a car include a visit to the redwoods in Muir Woods.

I was going to suggest this. we bought a tour, they drove us in a bus there and on the way back we stopped in Sausalito (very nice little town) and took the ferry back. But parking at Muir Woods is a nightmare, so I suggest the bus tour to not have to deal with parking. The only issue with the bus tour is that they only stay about 2 hours.
Date: November 09, 2019 12:27PM
and avoid the ice cream museum. I think that was one of the most expensive attractions in SF and it was really not worth it. total scam IMHO.
Date: November 09, 2019 12:29PM
Climb Coit Tower
Date: November 09, 2019 12:30PM
Lombard Street

Cable cars

Fishermans Warf
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 09, 2019 12:36PM
Cable Car Museum, which--more importantly-- includes the working cable powerhouse for maximum geekage is very, very cool and free and not a big time-sink.

45 minutes south (avoiding rush hour) will take you to the Apple Mother Ship. More of a been-there to check off, but still fun for a fan.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2019 12:39PM by Acer.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 09, 2019 12:39PM
Acer
Cable Car Museum, which--more importantly-- includes the working cable powerhouse for maximum geekage is very, very cool and free.

45 minutes south (avoiding rush hour) will take you to the Apple Mother Ship. More of a been-there to check off, but still fun for a fan.

That is a cool place.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 09, 2019 12:39PM
Buffalo stew at TJ's....

Skateboard down Lombard Street...

Visit Nordy's on Market Street; but really just go there to ride the spiral escalators....

Check out the Exploratorium, formerly at The City's PFA...

Now at the Piers, the kid in you will love it...

I was born and raised there, but escaped to L.A. over fifty years ago, though plenty of family and friends still inhabit The City formerly monikered "Baghdad By The Bay" by Herb Caen.
Enjoy your trip.
==
Date: November 09, 2019 12:42PM
.......if you like just the tip(s).....Nob Hill [ it may have closed ]....???

Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 09, 2019 01:41PM
Buzz

I was born and raised there, but escaped to L.A. over fifty years ago, though plenty of family and friends still inhabit The City formerly monikered "Baghdad By The Bay" by Herb Caen.
Enjoy your trip.
==

Funny, I've never heard that expression before.

His Majesty King Faisal II Al-Hashimi of Iraq and His Royal Highness Prince Abdul-Ilah, Regent of Iraq, photographing San Francisco Bay.” Dept. of State, Courtesy of Harry S. Truman Library.

[openspace.sfmoma.org]

Date: November 09, 2019 02:24PM
"Baghdad By The Bay"

I heard Oakland referred to as Beirut By The Bay when i lived there in the 80s/90s.

Date: November 09, 2019 02:33PM
Great tips! We are headed there in a couple of days so we might miss Alcatraz. Looks like there are some other really awesome things though. I'm going to go check out that other thread too.. never occurred to me to search DOH!

Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 09, 2019 05:45PM
freeradical/graylocks
"Baghdad By The Bay"

Funny, I've never heard that expression before.
I heard Oakland referred to as Beirut By The Bay when i lived there in the 80s/90s.

Herb Caen was a very well known columnist in the SF Bay Area for several decades in the last century. When he originally dropped the moniker, Baghdad was an exotic, glamorous location. Oakland's Beirut reference was simply a derivative of Caen's decades earlier musings, as Oakland has often been a bit of war zone. IIRC, the prize truck gave Herb essentially a "Lifetime Achievement", or some sort of special Pulitzer Prize shortly before his career/life wound down.
==
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 09, 2019 06:29PM
space-time
Lombard Street

Cable cars

Fishermans Warf

Fisherman's Wharf is pretty much a big tourist trap; other than the sea lions (if they're there), it's not worth the crowds or kitsch.

- The Disney Family Museum in the Presidio is excellent.
- I'll second the vote for the Exploratorium.
- Down the coast, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is also excellent; a very nice drive from San Francisco, but longish.

And try a restaurant that specializes in an ethnic food you can't get back home (do research first; there are hundreds and hundreds of them.)
Date: November 09, 2019 10:45PM
DeusxMac
space-time
Lombard Street

Cable cars

Fishermans Warf

Fisherman's Wharf is pretty much a big tourist trap; other than the sea lions (if they're there), it's not worth the crowds or kitsch.

- The Disney Family Museum in the Presidio is excellent.
- I'll second the vote for the Exploratorium.
- Down the coast, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is also excellent; a very nice drive from San Francisco, but longish.

And try a restaurant that specializes in an ethnic food you can't get back home (do research first; there are hundreds and hundreds of them.)

First timers enjoy the wharf a lot. I think a great one day adventure for new folk is to start at the Ferry Building and stroll down the Embarcadero to Fisherman's Wharf and Ghirardelli Square. Then get the Hyde Cable Car over to Powell Street to explore Union Square.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: November 10, 2019 12:06AM
I was going to say be sure to go to Muir Woods early, before the park officially opens and the busloads of people (so many busloads!) arrive, as it's a totally different and awesome experience. However, looks like reservations are now required for parking or shuttles, so maybe early arrival is no longer an option.

I agree with vision63, it's fun to walk the Embarcadero from the Ferry Building. And you can take a boat ride around Alcatraz, even if tour tickets aren't available.

City Lights Bookstore is open until midnight every day! "Paper may burn, but words will escape."

Have a great time, whatever you do! Be aware, though — the number of homeless people is truly sad and disturbing.
Posted by: Bo
Date: November 10, 2019 02:29AM
Regarding Muir Woods...skip it! And I say that as someone born and raised here in Marin. Too many people and an absolute clusterfsck.

Redwoods grow all over the place here and there are other old growth groves that you can check out and likely have them all to yourselves. A much better experience IMHO. PM me if you want some specifics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2019 02:30AM by Bo.
Posted by: Cary
Date: November 10, 2019 06:27AM
Great food all over. Go to North Beach for Italian. Go to Mama's for breakfast. Rent a car and take a day and drive up to Napa /Sonoma and visit a few wineries.
Date: November 10, 2019 10:53AM
Bo
Regarding Muir Woods...skip it! And I say that as someone born and raised here in Marin. Too many people and an absolute clusterfsck.

Redwoods grow all over the place here and there are other old growth groves that you can check out and likely have them all to yourselves. A much better experience IMHO. PM me if you want some specifics.

The sad thing is, 10 years ago, going to Muir Woods had it's crowds but now, because of Instagram, it's just off the charts crowded. You used to could go on a weekday in the Fall and hardly no one there.
Date: November 10, 2019 11:19AM
....so no longer just.....The Ghost.....and Mrs......Muir....??

Date: November 19, 2019 12:53PM
Just wanted to follow up and tell you all thank you so much for all the suggestions. We had nearly 3 full days and still didn't get to do everything we wanted to do. We were able to get into Alcatraz sort of last minute though which was great because I think it was our favorite part of visiting the city. Thank you all again!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 253
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018