advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Contemplating replacing my 1970's Stereo Receiver...
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 10, 2019 02:03PM
...with a modern multi-channel A/V receiver.

I'm not an audiophile but I just bought a nice 4K HDR TV and my old 1970 Pioneer receiver is starting to show it's age. It's making a crackling sound in the right speaker and also the balance control needs to be turned way over to one side to equal the volume level to both speakers. No way I would want more than a 5.2 receiver — looks like a decent one can be had for under $200 on sale.

I would keep my current 70's stereo speakers and add two smaller rear speakers if/when I find a deal.

Would this be a good upgrade and I'll be wondering why I didn't do it sooner?

Northern California Coast
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Contemplating replacing my 1970's Stereo Receiver...
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 10, 2019 02:19PM
When I was looking for one, a Denon from this place was the way to go with most people:

[www.accessories4less.com]
Posted by: Forrest
Date: November 10, 2019 02:58PM
Sounds like a good plan. I choose this same upgrade path about 5 years ago. I bought a pair of Polk bookshelf speakers for the rear, and a dual 5 1/4 inch Polk center channel speaker mounted just behind the TV. I see Best Buy has Polk 5 1/4 inch bookshelf speakers (pair) on sale for $59.99 and the Polk 5 1/4 inch dual center speaker on sale for $69.99
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 10, 2019 03:12PM
Well, you certainly aren't going to get surround with a 70's receiver, so that plus a lot more control from a remote will be the biggest functional change. Makes sense if that's what you're looking for.

I personally like Pioneer's consumer-grade receivers. They have the best bass response of the ones I tried out when I was in the market again ~6 years ago.

One thing to note, if you're still using a turntable, a new receiver probably will not have a phono preamp, so you'd need to buy one as an add-on. They aren't expensive unless you want them to be, if you follow me.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 10, 2019 03:27PM
Maybe just a sound bar with no receiver? Check out wire cutter.Com
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 10, 2019 04:12PM
anonymouse1
Maybe just a sound bar with no receiver? Check out wire cutter.Com

This, x 100.

Sorry, but scrap it all. For $200 you could get a 5.1 sound bar + wireless sub + wireless rear speakers that Im assuming would have 10X better sound than 50 year old speakers. Bonus, it works via BT for music.

first google hit: [www.bestbuy.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: November 10, 2019 04:48PM
I’d gladly take your pioneer off your hands for shipping.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 10, 2019 04:56PM
go with Onks or Denons. Very consistent in my experience.
I have a 10yo Onk that still does me fine. It has all the interconnect I need for what we have.
I think I got from Onks scratch and dent.
A little more bread gets you a better power supply from what I've seen.
You won't "hear" the PS, until it fails. YMMD.
Wish it had WiFi & BT, but I'd seldom use it anyway. The new TCL Smart 55" has all that, so I can just round trip it to the rcvr.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 10, 2019 05:20PM
Onkyo, Denon, Pioneer, Yamaha are all good companies.

I love my Harman Kardon AVR-510 that has been in use every day for almost 20 years, but from reviews I've read (and my own experience with multiple repairs in the first four years of its life), reliability has become an issue.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 10, 2019 05:22PM
....you won't need it.....just abandon everything for Apple iTunes.....now Apple Music.....who needs a receiver for that.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: davester
Date: November 10, 2019 08:59PM
So, what is the model number of this '70s Pioneer receiver. Depending on that, I might be willing to purchase it for the price of shipping.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: November 10, 2019 09:37PM
To fix the balance control on your old Pioneer, consider Deoxit contact cleaner Deoxit video
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 10, 2019 09:57PM
Forrest
To fix the balance control on your old Pioneer, consider Deoxit contact cleaner Deoxit video

Is that Trich?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 10, 2019 10:46PM
I sold off the early 70's receiver in favor of a later 70's, bigger, better, all-time great, generation-defining receiver. Still kicks butt for music, but obviously not equipped for multi-channel, surround sound tech. Depending on the model and condition of the old Pioneer, it might have some real value, or it might be a doorstop/paperweight. The former would be worth keeping, or at least cleaning up and selling to offset the cost of new gear, the latter could be re-homed without losing sleep. Old 4 digit Pioneer SX receivers in good condition would put a sizable dent in newer gear's acquisition cost. Old, mid/high 3 digit "collegiate" SX receivers have a sentimental following, but won't put much of a dent in new gear, unless pristine w/ original box/manuals, etc.
==
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 11, 2019 12:35AM
Onkyo had some issues starting about 7 years ago. They had a huge number of refurbs for sale. Those refurbs all had to come from somewhere.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: BernDog
Date: November 11, 2019 10:53AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Onkyo had some issues starting about 7 years ago. They had a huge number of refurbs for sale. Those refurbs all had to come from somewhere.

Onkyo had issues with bad capacitors on the HDMI board. Bad caps and then put the board right over the heat sink. Fixed one of my own (failed just out of warranty). A few years later I had to fix my dad’s (3-4 years newer model). In that amount of time, they hadn’t fixed the issue. Moved on to Yamaha and have been very happy ever since.
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 11, 2019 12:12PM
Thanks for all the great responses. Those Polk speakers at best buy look good. I've also done a little reading up on sound bars - they have some great reviews also.

The receiver is a SX-1000TW and the speakers are the Pioneer's CS77 model. The walnut cases are all in great shape. Like I said, I'm not an audiophile but these have always sounded great to me. They both have good prices on eBay but I've not considered selling them. If I could find someone to restore them at a reasonable price, that's what I would do.

I tried using a contact cleaner (Max Pro contact cleaner) on the balance, base and treble parts (directly behind the knobs - can't remember what they're called) and didn't see any results. The balance is fine for the first minute after turning on, but then will shift to one side.

Northern California Coast
Date: November 11, 2019 12:22PM
https://www.mortstvrepair.com/ can restore old receivers. I think it will cost you about the same amount of money to buy a new ($200) Denon or Pioneer 5.2 receiver.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 11, 2019 01:05PM
I've only dipped my toe into surround sound for TV and movies, and I'm happy with that.

What I'd like to do is get two better main speakers for audio, and if TV and movies benefit, great.

I've got audio electronics to push inefficient speakers, but my A/V rcvr is an older modest 5.1 Yamaha, good enough for my purposes. I'd be maintaining two separate systems, which is doable.

Mainly, it's a matter of spending a bundle of money on two speakers.

But when it's time to shed the mortal coil, having money in the bank doesn't help me any, LOL.

As far as soundbars are concerned, they have their applications, as long as one can manage expectations.

A really good soundbar will sound better than a couple of cheap speakers, especially if one manages their expectations.

I don't believe for a second that even a really good soundbar will offer better imaging than a pair of decent speakers.

Well, unless the soundbar is a four or five feet long, maybe. I'm not a fan of DSP imaging.

As for as old is concerned, I'd take rob's Heresy IIs over any soundbar, any day.

But as I said, there are situations where for some people it's better than discrete speakers.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 11, 2019 04:13PM
A lot of soundbars ARE 4-5 feet long! I have a 2.1 300W LG Soundbar and the sound does fill a large room - but there's no rear channel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 143
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018