advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sofa bed woes
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 12, 2019 10:43AM
Ordered a sofa bed online. Box accurately listed as 29" x 39" x 83". Wouldn't fit into building's elevator. Prob would have worked at 78"or 80", but not 83".

We really need a sofa bed. This one seemed decent build and style, with webbing/pocket spring suspension (not wooden slats), and a passably sized mattress.

The same manufacturer sells a sectional sofa bed, but the mattress is so small it wouldn't really fit two people.

Any suggestions? Most local furniture outlets are either 1) Sticks and Stuff quality (crap), 2) overpriced, dubious quality stuff like Pottery Barn or sofa stores, or 3) Ikea, which comes up way short in this category.

I hoped that online would work for us, but striking out so far. Any ideas? Oh, did I mention that we have guests arriving on the 22nd?

mad2 smiley

Edit: Sorry - should have been clearer about what I'm asking for.

I need suggestions on finding a decent quality sofa bed that costs under $1500 and I can get into my house.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 11:03AM by rjmacs.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sofa bed woes
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 12, 2019 10:48AM
Did you try taking the sofa out of the box and removing the sofa feet? Furniture delivery people do not give up easily smiling smiley
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 12, 2019 10:49AM
remove it from the box?
Date: November 12, 2019 10:54AM
Zero clearance inside box - this ships "box-to-box," meaning you gain the width of the cardboard by unboxing.

Shipment has been refused. Moving on from this item, which will not fit in the elevator.

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 11:04AM by rjmacs.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 12, 2019 10:55AM
The width out of the box is 82, per the website. That's arm to arm, so removing the feet would not be of any help.

You've looked at futons? Not the most comfy for the long term, but less bulky.
Date: November 12, 2019 10:56AM
Partner nixed futon on aesthetic grounds. That was my preference, too.

rj
AKA
Posted by: MikeF
Date: November 12, 2019 11:12AM
No staircase?
Posted by: MarkD
Date: November 12, 2019 11:19AM
Taking a shot in the dark. How about blowup mattresses from manufacturers like Intex? these are those 24 in mattresses that have the air pump attached. Bonus: young children love to roll on the mattress to push out the air when deflating. Much more comfortable than the sofa bed I slept on at my grandma's when I was a kid. No dignity when getting up, but the sleep may be better. May still have a matter of aesthetics. Lots cheaper and can get a regular couch.
Date: November 12, 2019 11:31AM
MikeF
No staircase?

I didn't have the tip to cover 10 stories.

MarkD
Taking a shot in the dark. How about blowup mattresses from manufacturers like Intex? these are those 24 in mattresses that have the air pump attached. Bonus: young children love to roll on the mattress to push out the air when deflating. Much more comfortable than the sofa bed I slept on at my grandma's when I was a kid. No dignity when getting up, but the sleep may be better. May still have a matter of aesthetics. Lots cheaper and can get a regular couch.

We'll do that as a short-term fix if needed. Costco carries inflatables that are passable, but we do want a sleeper sofa solution for this room, as we need both a sofa and a sleeping surface, but don't really have room for both.

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 11:32AM by rjmacs.
Date: November 12, 2019 11:52AM
Acer
The width out of the box is 82, per the website. That's arm to arm, so removing the feet would not be of any help.

Yeah but that's a concern if you're standing the sofa completely straight up in the elevator. Anyone with experience in moving furniture into and out of elevators knows large oddly shaped pieces (ESPECIALLY COUCHES) have a strange way of fitting into, up and around elevators and stairs when diagonal and slanted and maneuvered. That's when removing the feet (and/or any cushions) will help. Every single inch will help when it's that tight.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 12, 2019 11:55AM
you might try searching on loveseat sofabed. i bought one earlier this summer from Costco that i'm pleased with. i think the length is 78". in the box it wouldn't fit through my doors but once out of the box my son and i were able to finagle it in. $800. before that i was considering one from Ikea but i think the Costco one is built better.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: November 12, 2019 12:12PM
Look into two single seat armchairs that fold out to twin beds.
You want your 2 guests to be comfortable, but not too comfortable or they won't want to leave. 2 separate twin beds = no "snuggling" = good.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 12, 2019 12:43PM
This will probably be double your budget... But my wife says they are the most comfortable sofa beds out there (so if you follow 3d's advice, you may want something else). And you'll have to see if they have a local retailer, and/or scour Craigslist for a used one to fit in your budget.

[www.americanleather.com]

They also have a smaller footprint when pulled out than a typical sofabed, and the mattress is actually a proper queen size (for the queen versions). When I was looking recently, I realized that pullout "queens" are actually a few inches short of a normal queen bed.
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: November 12, 2019 01:37PM
Have a look at the IKEA Friheten. I find it more comfortable than my bed, and sleep on it quite a few nights a year. There's also a version with a lounge end.

Not sure what size cartons it comes in, but the arms just slide on and off (the back bolts on). Without the arms, the body of the sofa is 78 inches long.

As seating, the only issue for me is the depth: 22 inches. I have short legs, so need a pillow behind my lower back when watching TV.

I also have one of these, color sage, still in the (74x25x13) box, that I'm trying to get rid of. I'll take $250 from a forumer, but it's in downtown Chicago.
Posted by: MartyStickle
Date: November 12, 2019 02:00PM
Murphy cabinet bed.

Asheville, NC Area
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 12, 2019 02:26PM
I cannot stress enough the benefit of using a "day bed" as a sofa bed. Twin mattress, comfy for sleeping, works as a sofa. One sits in my office / sitting room and it's my nap spot.

Or just get a couch that is comfortable to sleep on. Pull out sofa beds are the work of Satan, or designed by chiropractors working to increase business.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 12, 2019 02:32PM
Is there a service elevator? Sometimes one of the elevators is bigger, just for such oversized items.
Have the window washers bring it up the side of the building?

About 40 years ago, I bought a Riviera sofa bed from Sit 'n' Sleep's ("...or your mattress is frrreeeee"), Larry Miller. Not sure about the measurements, but it was incredibly comfortable for a sofa bed; no nasty folding bars poking you in the ribs when sleeping. As part of the sale, Larry threw in a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet that went under the mattress, and that evened out the sleeping surface, perfectly. Great trick. I knew then that Larry was gonna make it big someday.
Good luck.
==
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 12, 2019 02:37PM
cbelt3
I cannot stress enough the benefit of using a "day bed" as a sofa bed. Twin mattress, comfy for sleeping, works as a sofa. One sits in my office / sitting room and it's my nap spot.

Or just get a couch that is comfortable to sleep on. Pull out sofa beds are the work of Satan, or designed by chiropractors working to increase business.

Ditto this.

BTW, it's spelled y'all
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 12, 2019 02:55PM
Zoidberg
cbelt3

Ditto this.

You can also get a pull out pop up trundle that converts the twin to a king

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: November 12, 2019 03:09PM
rgG
Zoidberg
cbelt3

Ditto this.

You can also get a pull out pop up trundle that converts the twin to a king

Thanks for these suggestions - we have a couple relatives who use trundle/daybeds as guest accommodations.

My experience with these is that in order to be comfortable enough to sleep on, they either 1) require two twin mattresses far too thick for it to be used as a sofa, or 2) require a king-size foam topper on top of the too-thin mattresses that make the sofa useable. The former's problems are obvious, and honestly we don't have space to stow a king-size foam topper between overnight guests.

rj
AKA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 03:20PM by rjmacs.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 12, 2019 03:25PM
Just get an inflatable mattress and be done with it.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 12, 2019 03:46PM

Don't laugh. You can get almost two weeks here for the price of one couch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 03:47PM by Acer.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 12, 2019 04:01PM
Acer

Don't laugh. You can get almost two weeks here for the price of one couch.

Not laughing, we've stayed at that Motel 6... :-)
Just smiling.
==
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 12, 2019 07:02PM
Hit Jennifer Convertibles if you've got one near you. (Jennifer "Furniture" now.)
[www.jenniferfurniture.com]

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 12, 2019 07:38PM
I had a sofa that wouldn't fit up a stairway. I cut a third off, moved it in and rebuilt the frame and nailed the fabric back down.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 12, 2019 11:19PM
Getting them a hotel or motel room sure would be simple and would ease your mind. Maybe arrange for an Uber/Lyft to simplify things for them.
Posted by: tenders
Date: November 13, 2019 12:53PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I had a sofa that wouldn't fit up a stairway. I cut a third off, moved it in and rebuilt the frame and nailed the fabric back down.

Cutting the frame of a sofa bed to get it into an elevator and putting it back together again is standard practice for Jennifer delivery crews in NYC and, I presume, in other cities with a lot of elevator buildings. They do it in a way that is easy to re-do to get the sofa out of the apartment when you move.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 14, 2019 01:04AM
Measure twice, order once.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 214
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018