advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
rec PC parts for gaming machine
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: November 12, 2019 11:59AM
I'm hoping to help my nephew build a gaming PC. He's been saving money for quite some time and my brother has finally agreed to the build. Problem is, I know very little about PCs now. I had built a few a number of years ago, but haven't kept up with changes. I'm hoping someone can tell me if this list of parts is suitable for a mid-level machine, or recommend changes (he seems really set on the graphics card). TIA

Motherboard - ASrock b365m pro4
Power supply - Corsair vs
Ram - Corsair vengeance lpx 16 gb
Cooling - cooler master hyper 212 evo
Storage device - blue 1 terabyte internal SATA ssd (on Best Buy)
CPU - Intel core i7 8700k
Monitor - dell 24” LED FHD freesync
Graphics card - EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Ti FTW2 GAMING, 8GB GDDR5, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors & RGB LED G/P/M, Asynch Fan, Optimized Airflow Graphics Card 08G-P4-6775-KR
Case and case fans ??
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: rec PC parts for gaming machine
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: November 12, 2019 12:43PM
I have a similar setup for gaming and the oddest choice is the graphics card as it is a previous generation model so it will be out of date sooner. Also it's not being made any more so it's not easily available and I can't find it for less than $500 new. However if you find it for less than $300, it can be a good choice. The only differences BTW yours and mine are:

1070Ti vs 1080 GFX card
i7 8700K vs. i5 8400 CPU

Your CPU is overkill for the video card at its current selling price but is not a bad choice at all. Your video card has been surpassed around a $300 selling price by a number of better options:

AMD Radeon 5700 ($350 list, 12% faster)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 2060 ($350 list, 5% faster)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660Ti ($280 list, 11% slower)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Super ($230 list, 13% slower)

Here's a comparo using the most recently released card (a custom 1660 Super) as the 100% performance mark in a lot of current games at 1080p:

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 12, 2019 01:06PM
Pretty well balanced.

The SSD is $109.99 right now at Newegg (possibly renewing 1-day sale). I have seen 1 TB SSDs down to $84. It's hard to time all the sales to make it convenient to buy items at different times and actually save money.

The new AMD RYZEN 3xxx have made huge strides compared to the Intel processors but they need the newer and more expensive 5xx-series motherboards to reach full potential so the price savings on the processor balances out.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 12, 2019 01:14PM
Both my sons used [pcpartpicker.com]
Date: November 12, 2019 01:14PM
A case is IMO the toughest thing to spec as it's almost as personal as a keyboard & mouse. Something with decent cable management is good and lots of people love the clear acrylic front and side panels nowadays but my 3 builds have all had perforated front and side panels. I prefer (what looks like) decent airflow and I have no heat problems just using the fans the case comes with.

The most recent case I used was a DeepCool case with decent cable management but I don't remember which one, but it was probably $40 or less on sale. Previous builds were done in a CoolerMaster N200 but I didn't manage the cables at all in those so I don't know how well it does that. I want to go back and do the cable management in those but I only will if absolutely necessary.
Date: November 12, 2019 01:18PM
Filliam H. Muffman
Pretty well balanced.

The SSD is $109.99 right now at Newegg (possibly renewing 1-day sale). I have seen 1 TB SSDs down to $84. It's hard to time all the sales to make it convenient to buy items at different times and actually save money.

The new AMD RYZEN 3xxx have made huge strides compared to the Intel processors but they need the newer and more expensive 5xx-series motherboards to reach full potential so the price savings on the processor balances out.

I didn't want to complicate things with AMD's Ryzen but 2 of my recent builds have been with Ryzen CPUs. It's simply more performance for your money overall.

However you do get full Ryzen CPU potential with a currently available 450 MoBo, with memory and processor overclocking, unlike what you get with an affordable Intel midrange board. All you miss out on is PCIe 4.0, which has very limited utility right now except in special cases, and is completely unavailable from Intel.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 01:19PM by Lew Zealand.
Date: November 12, 2019 01:26PM
Carm
Both my sons used [pcpartpicker.com]

Highly recommended! I used it for all 3 of my builds.
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: November 12, 2019 02:18PM
Thanks everyone, great help! LZ, I think he may drop to an i5 and look for a better graphics card.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 12, 2019 03:38PM
Id go with a PCIe Flash drive, not a SSD.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 105
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018