advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ordering flowers online - tips?
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 13, 2019 11:54AM
A relative recently passed away in another city. I won’t be attending his funeral but want to send an arrangement. I’ve never done this before. Any suggestions for sending flowers over the Internet?

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ordering flowers online - tips?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 13, 2019 12:02PM
....a lot of the online places charge 'fees' to deliver....that includes 800-flowers, proflowers, etc [ all the big names ].....

......a better option is to google a flower shop near the funeral and call them directly and order that way.....it will save you a lot of money.......some of the 'fees' can be extremely high........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2019 12:08PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Harooneneutics
Date: November 13, 2019 12:03PM
I've used ProFlowers.com before and have been pleased; a quick search for a coupon code usually will save you a few bucks. I always tell myself I should call a florist in the area that's local to the recipient, but it's hard to beat the convenience of ordering online.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 13, 2019 12:06PM
I'd find the best local florist and give them a call.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 13, 2019 12:17PM
Call the funeral home and ask who the best florist is. Then call the florist directly.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 13, 2019 12:58PM
Look online to get an idea of arrangement sizes and costs, then google florists for the local area and see what resources are available; yelp, trip advisor, etc., depending on how large an area "local" is. Find the local florist that feels best after your research, and call them. Remember, the national online floral gigs aren't pricing locally.... we've had $50 flowers in off the beaten track locales turn out better than $100 flowers in hoity-toity towns. Sometimes you can get a feel just from talking to the local floral peeps. I wouldn't go in thinking dollars first, I'd think arrangement size and type, then let the local guy help in the budget department.
==
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 13, 2019 01:20PM
This is genius.

Dennis S
Call the funeral home and ask who the best florist is. Then call the florist directly.
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 13, 2019 01:24PM
If it was me, I would just call the funeral home and have them handle everything. It's a very common request for them.
Date: November 13, 2019 01:27PM
....the only reason I would be reluctant to call the funeral home......is they probably have 'relationships' with certain florists......cheaper to call on your own and compare the various local florists......you are more likely to get a 'bargain' on our own rather than calling the funeral home.......

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 13, 2019 01:29PM
100% agree find a local florist. When I was courting my wife I had an account with the best local florist shop and a standing order for a dozen roses. It worked !
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 13, 2019 02:23PM
The last time I ordered, 1800flowers had a $14.99 service fee that did not appear in the cart until the final step of ordering. The convenience of online ordering and of seeing what the flower arrangement looks like before the purchase may or may not be worth it to you.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 13, 2019 02:30PM
If the funeral parlor is too expensive, do a Google search for local supermarkets. Larger supermarkets often have a floral department with ready made arrangements available at different price points. I was able to use this when local florists' fees were insanely high. I was able to order a bouquet in my price range and, the market had it delivered by an Uber for ~ $10 more. My total cost was ~ $35. smiling smiley
Date: November 13, 2019 02:32PM
S. Pupp
The last time I ordered, 1800flowers had a $14.99 service fee that did not appear in the cart until the final step of ordering. The convenience of online ordering and of seeing what the flower arrangement looks like before the purchase may or may not be worth it to you.

....yup, that is the fee that most places charge........they are literally forwarding the order to a local flower shop anyway so you might as well remove the middle man and do it directly.......

Date: November 13, 2019 02:43PM
By contacting the funeral home first for a recommendation as I said above, you should get an arrangement that is appropriate for the funeral.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: November 13, 2019 03:48PM
Avoid FTD unless you want to be overcharged and disappointed.

Bryan
Date: November 13, 2019 04:52PM
Whoever runs one of the most-highly regarded flower shops in a town will be competent, credible, and compassionate, I guarantee you. These people care about their work.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 13, 2019 05:10PM
mattkime
I'd find the best local florist and give them a call.

bingo. I did this for years, when that sort of thing was called for. worked out very well, and I would never use those 1-800 places again.
Date: November 13, 2019 07:49PM
.....just the tip(s).....???

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 176
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018