advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Why don't people have big porch "Mail" boxes for Amazon and other packages?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 13, 2019 06:39PM
You pick the size - 2' X 3', 3' X 4' - you pick the size according to what you anticipate getting. Leave it unlocked and let the driver lock it when he or she leaves. It's not for everyone, but if you want one and have the room, great. If you buy smaller expensive stuff like cameras, computers, shoes, etc. it would be ideal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2019 06:40PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Why don't people have big porch "Mail" boxes for Amazon and other packages?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 13, 2019 06:53PM
Mmmm... yeah.

That could fit on a porch.

Posted by: rz
Date: November 13, 2019 07:04PM
Seems like we have a new carrier every week. They can't even deliver mail to the correct house sometimes. I doubt we'd be able to get them to reliably use a package drop box.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 13, 2019 07:11PM
Got a link to something?

I would totally get one if I could find one that worked for me. Some of the problems I've thought of are:

size - when Amazon ships a coin battery in a box big enough for a 17" laptop, you have to oversize the "mail" box.

multiple packages - you might get multiple packages a day and from multiple carriers at different times of day. What if a "cheap" package shows up first, and then your expensive package gets left out in the open.

So you really need a huge "package" collection box, that has a door like a USPS mailbox - lets packages in, but you can't reach inside to get stuff out.

secured to the ground - the whole thing needs to be secured to the ground, otherwise a thief might just take the whole thing.

locking mechanism - would need to stand up to a crowbar or bolt cutters. If a thief can break in in a few seconds, it'll only stop the opportunity thieves and not the determined ones (that follow the delivery trucks and work in pairs so they have a getaway driver at the ready).

obviousness - just having the box, might make your house more tempting, since thieves might assume there's something good in it.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 13, 2019 07:22PM
My "mailbox" is a 9"x10"x20" locking box that can be reached by the mail carrier sitting in the truck on the street. *IF* it's my regular carrier, she will usually drop large items at the front door and knock/ring.

Large theft proof boxes like the UPS/FedEx drop off kiosks are $400-$600 unless you can build one yourself.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 13, 2019 09:09PM
something like those book drop bins at the library should work
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 13, 2019 09:31PM
My local PO now has two sets of lockers for larger packages.

I was in an apartment complex recently and they had a set of really nice mail boxes in the lobby with two package bins.

The mailboxes themselves were far more roomy then the old style boxes. The systems works the same as the PO lockers – the package in the bin and locked in, then a key is put in the mail box. When the resident removes the package, the key is trapped.

The carrier removes the key, puts it in the bin, and locks it 'till next time.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 13, 2019 10:06PM
We have a curbside neighborhood box with 10 individual mailboxes. Right next to that there is a matching two box for packages, perhaps 18”x24”x18” per box. It has two keyholes, one for the carrier and one for the recipient. The carrier leaves the key for your package box in your regular mailbox. We take that key, unlock the package box and leave the key in the lock where it stays until another package is delivered for someone.

Check first with USPS, but you could build a similar package box with a single lock (not a padlock), attach it to a pedestal and stick the pedestal in concrete in a buried plastic bucket right next to your regular mailbox. Leave the key in your mailbox, either on a hook or laying in the very back. Then train your carrier to grab the key, unlock and lock the box and replace the key on the hook. It’s a federal offense for a thief to mess with your mailbox. Leave your carrier a nice holiday bonus if they use you box.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 14, 2019 05:56AM
Somebody makes or is developing a porch box that can be locked remorely over wifi. If I recall, it has a camera too. Sounds like an opportunity to me.

Posted by: rz
Date: November 14, 2019 08:00AM
Speedy
Then train your carrier to grab the key, unlock and lock the box and replace the key on the hook.

smiley-laughing001

Yeah, that ain't happening...
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 14, 2019 08:26AM
Vestibules need to make a comeback.

Posted by: John B.
Date: November 14, 2019 09:35PM
I've thought about this a lot as well. I'm not sure that a lock would even be needed in a lot of cases...just a box that's big enough to keep delivered packages out of view from the street. Unless they're following the carriers, I don't think the average "porch pirate" is going to walk up to your closed delivery box every day to see if there is a package hiding inside.

Just as big of a problem is: how do you train multiple carrier organizations to put items in the box, if it isn't a "standard"? I've already had a USPS carrier walk through wet, taped-off concrete this year, Amazon Prime missed their quoted delivery date on 50+% of my orders over a 3-month period, and I came home tonight to find a USPS package delivery in the landscape rock a few feet from the front porch...yeah, it could have blown there, but sitting label-up under a bush, I kind of doubt it. So how do you get them to put the packages in the box?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 15, 2019 07:07AM
....in these PC times.....you would need 'feMAIL' boxes too.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 200
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020