advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Thunderbolt 1 or 2 Case + SSD for 2011 iMac? Do these exist for a fair price?
Posted by: spacescape
Date: November 13, 2019 09:54PM
I'm looking for an external enclosure that has a Thunderbolt Connection so I can boot from an external SSD Drive. The 2011 iMac has Two Thunderbolt ports, FW 800 Port and USB 2 ports and my MacBook Pro has USB 3 and Thunderbolt 2 ports so I'm thinking a Thunderbolt 1 or 2 enclosure would be best. Problem is that I'm not seeing Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 cases at a reasonable price. I'm seeing Lacie Rugged Drives with Thunderbolt interface and you can swap out the drive with a SSD drive and boot up from it. However, I'm looking at other options.

Any suggestions? Links?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Thunderbolt 1 or 2 Case + SSD for 2011 iMac? Do these exist for a fair price?
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 13, 2019 10:02PM
Yeah, they aint cheap.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Re: Thunderbolt 1 or 2 Case + SSD for 2011 iMac? Do these exist for a fair price?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 13, 2019 11:15PM
Cheapest option is to buy a 2.5" Thunderbolt drive (like the LaCie) and swap the drive. Bare TB 2.5" enclosures weren't very common. Just be aware that almost none of them had two thunderbolt ports, so you can't daisy chain.

Look for the Buffalo Tech 1TB drive also. It's less common and might go cheap. A bit of a PITA to take apart though. I have one ripped apart now that I never put back together.

Seagate also made a TB adapter for their GoFlex drives, but you can just plus a bare drive into the adapter if you want (with maybe like a little piece of cardboard to level the drive out). [www.amazon.com]
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 14, 2019 04:51AM
Might be able to get a nice TB hub used like one from OWC. Then add a drive via usb3.
Date: November 14, 2019 08:51AM
Thanks. Which brand SSD are "good enough" to boot with? Anyone to stay away from? I'm seeing 500GB to 1TB SSD's from $50-$100+.

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

[www.amazon.com]

I'm wondering if it's just time to get a MacMini and call it a day...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2019 08:52AM by spacescape.
Posted by: decay
Date: November 14, 2019 08:56AM
I discovered recently that you can't install Catalina on an external FireWire drive.

Thanks for abandoning the tech you created, Apple.

---
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 14, 2019 09:09AM
> I'm wondering if it's just time to get a MacMini and call it a day...

smiley-score010

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Date: November 14, 2019 09:14AM
decay
I discovered recently that you can't install Catalina on an external FireWire drive.

WHAT?!?!?
Date: November 14, 2019 09:17AM
Zoidberg

smiley-score010

DAMN YOU!!! Problem is that the computer runs great and has plenty of power to run what my kids need to run (i5 w/ plenty of memory)... Even does music production fine (Reason).
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 14, 2019 09:45AM
decay

Easy, don't use Catalina...
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 14, 2019 09:56AM
Why not just install a SSD internally on the iMac?

2011s arent that hard at all. You just need the temp sensor kit from our hosts: [eshop.macsales.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: November 14, 2019 09:58AM
spacescape
Zoidberg

smiley-score010

DAMN YOU!!! Problem is that the computer runs great and has plenty of power to run what my kids need to run (i5 w/ plenty of memory)... Even does music production fine (Reason).

While the TB options may have a longer life when re-purposed, for the uses you describe, I would just go FW800. I did this years ago on my 2010 iMac and an old OWC Mercury Pro enclosure. Granted, my iMac didn't have TB as an option, but in day to day use, I'm not sure you'd notice.

This bus powered enclosure from our sponsor is $54.99 new. Garage sale or used equivalents could be even cheaper. Still has USB 3 if you want to use it with your MBP or connect it to a hub at a later time.

If you must go TB, although spendy, I like the functionality of this and the ability to continue to use it for backups and clones for many years to come. More than twice the price of the USB 3.2 version, though.
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 14, 2019 04:32PM
"Never update" --Chopper
Posted by: decay
Date: November 17, 2019 11:11PM
sekker
decay

Easy, don't use Catalina...

Except when you're a support tech and the client is paying you to set up a test install for them...

---
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 318
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018