advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
upgrading battery in two MacBookPro's
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 16, 2019 07:00PM
I upgraded the battery in two MacBook Pro's. The first was a 2008, cost $25, and was a matter of ejecting the old battery and inserting the new battery. Easy peasy. The second was a 2013, cost $89 from OWC, and took several hours. I was VERY careful. A few mistakes were made but it's now working. Here are some pics.

If I had seen the "advanced" designation I might not have attempted it.

View prior to beginning work. Actually that's a new Aurora SSD also from our sponsor.

To upgrade the battery everything had to come out including the motherboard. Every screw and every cable. Those connections are REALLY TINY and was the hardest part of the process for me.

Here's how I kept everything straight.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: upgrading battery in two MacBookPro's
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 16, 2019 07:13PM
Btw, where is the best place to buy rubber feet for the MacBook Pro. I don’t see any on our sponsors website.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 16, 2019 07:45PM
So glad it worked out for you!

I simply cannot understand what Apple was thinking. This kind of design means these machines are really disposable - not very many people have your mad skills.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 16, 2019 07:49PM
davemchine
Btw, where is the best place to buy rubber feet for the MacBook Pro. I don’t see any on our sponsors website.

ebay, same with case screws (I keep a few on hand )

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 16, 2019 07:51PM
davemchine

I've used oversize rubber feet from OSH/Home Depot, with mixed degrees of success.... keeps laptop cooler w/ slight added height, but get in way of some laptop stands depending on placement. I forget exactly what I used, but I glued some oversize white feet on an iBook G3/G4 w/ some cement that pretty much welded the feet to the case, after the silicone stuff I used initially gave out on one of the feet. After redoing all the feet, they could survive a nuclear explosion.

Local Mac fix-it shop may have real MBP feet for ya; one our local shops was able to replace the mini sized black "baby moon" feet..., if you don't want to go the DIY oversized route. Good luck. And congrats on passing your advanced tech test.
==
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 16, 2019 08:31PM
Assuming you checked it wasn’t part of the recall?

I also was under the impression it was $120 for battery replacement at the Apple store?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 16, 2019 08:55PM
davemchine

Order replacements from Amazon or eBay.

The good ones have parts for both the inside and outside of the case, and a tube of super/crazy-type glue. The cheap ones are just the black outer parts with some sticky-tape that really need to be super/crazy glued to stay on.

Both work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2019 08:56PM by Sarcany.
Posted by: reezekeys
Date: November 17, 2019 08:57AM
FWIW (and too late for the OP) there is an alternate way to remove these glued in batteries that does not involve removing the logic board. This link takes you to the the spot in the vid after all the preliminaries:

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2019 09:14AM by reezekeys.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: November 17, 2019 12:00PM
Great video, thanks!!

• back to confinement

Posted by: reezekeys
Date: November 17, 2019 02:42PM
Yes and this thread is reminding me to get going on my own battery replacement! I bought an "Ebay special" a few months ago (it had positive reviews) and I'll be doing it like the guy in the video (nylon string and leaving the logic board in place), but even lower-rent: using a bottle of nail polish remover (acetone) to serve as the "adhesive remover" mentioned (I suspect that's the major ingredient in the ifixit bottle). My wife brought a few syringes back from her hospital job. My battery condition has been "Replace Soon" for a long time but there's been no swelling and it still gives me a few hours, and I'm rarely away from AC – hence my laziness in getting this done.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 219
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018