advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Icemaker repair question
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 16, 2019 08:14PM
The icemaker on our Samsung refrigerator stopped working (it's from 2012 before the brand went to complete junk). I'm trying to decide the most likely repair route. There is no ice buildup, so it isn't a jam. It could be the icemaker or the water inlet valve, just can't decide which.

The argument for Icemaker - reset chimes, but nothing else happens, no water fill or cycling.
The argument for water inlet valve - no water seems to be flowing to the icemaker
The argument against the water inlet valve - water is flowing to the door dispenser (but I don't know if it switches or the icemaker and door water work independently in the valve assembly). It could just be the icemaker not requesting water.

What I've tried -
- reset the ice maker (it did not chime until I unhooked it from power and then reconnected. It then chimed, but did nothing more)
- removed the ice maker, it is clean and has no ice buildup anywhere. There is nothing in the ice chambers.
- turned off the refrigerator at the breaker, waited 5 minutes than restarted, to see if a full reset helped (it didn't)
- removed the filter, just to ensure it wasn't clogged. Since we are getting water to the door, I didn't think it was the issue but didn't hurt to check.

My gut says to replace the Icemaker but there is just enough doubt to give me pause. I also considered defrosting the whole thing just in case a line is frozen, but that is a multiday job and I would need to store the food while waiting - easier said than done.

Thoughts?

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Icemaker repair question
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 16, 2019 08:34PM
My Samsung had a frozen line that messed with the ice maker. It also had a heater problem that didn’t properly defrost the lines. The valve was never the problem. It was the temp sensors.
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 16, 2019 09:09PM
We had a similar issue with out Whirlpool icemaker. So frustrating. I spent so much time researching and experimenting that I finally decided it must need a new sensor. Well, that would have been $200, so to hell with that. We agreed we'd go back to the old-fashioned way of just using ice cube trays. We did that for a couple of weeks when we started noises from the icemaker. It had come back to life, and has been working fine for the last several weeks. I have no idea what the ultimate solution was, but one possibility is that we removed the water filter from inside the fridge, which was one of the many suggestions I read. Might be just a coincidence, but whatever. We're once again enjoying ice from the dispenser.

Oh yeah, here's a great source of info if you feel like experimenting. [www.icemakerrepairservice.com]
Posted by: Cary
Date: November 17, 2019 04:45AM
Check the samurai appliance forums, too.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 17, 2019 05:44AM
Water pressure and sediment causing valve to stick? Pull water filter and run some water out of dispenser.

Maybe it doesn't want any water. Temperature probe wacky and thinks it is still in heat cycle to release the cubes. Never heated and cubes still in the forming tray.

Supply line frozen. Hair dryer. Door doesn't get closed all the way for what ever reason and the thing just keeps cranking the cold. Twice on my Samsung.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 17, 2019 06:13AM
wurm
Oh yeah, here's a great source of info if you feel like experimenting. [www.icemakerrepairservice.com]

Thanks for that link. It doesn't address my refrigerator directly but had some good general advice to explore.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: modelamac
Date: November 17, 2019 08:02AM
Ombligo,

On the back of the refrigerator, at the bottom, is a removable panel. Take it off and loosen the watervalve from the refrigerator. Don't take off any hoses. Swap the electrical connections on the 2 valves. Now go to the water switch on the freezer door and push it. Water should now start filling the ice tray. If it doesn't, the fill tube is plugged or the fill valve in back is bad. If the water flows, the ice maker is bad (most cannot be repaired) and needs replacing. Buy the replacement from A C Wagner online or your local appliance parts store.

If the fill tube in the freezer is plugged, you can clear it with the handle end of a rat-tail file or a thin long flat screwdriver. Be careful not to pull off the tube. It can be difficult to re-install.

Instead of switching the connectors, you can pull them off the terminals and connect your home-made jumper wires to them. Female spade connectors or alligator clips on one end and 3-prong plug on the other. If you use regular lamp cord wire, the ribbed side is neutral and goes to the larger spade on the 3-prong plug. You can use a 2-prong plug, but one spade must be larger than the other.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2019 08:11AM by modelamac.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 17, 2019 08:27AM
[www.appliance411.com]

ask Dan O.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: flightdelayedagain
Date: November 17, 2019 10:02AM
We have a Sears Kenmore Elite bought in 2011 with the same issue. So I did the research and thought I would try replacing the entire ice maker plus the water inlet valve which are known to go bad. It still didn't work so I call our local repair guy who fixes most all large appliances except Samsung and LG. He explained that this model was actually made by LG and said the reason he will not work on these models is there are too many things inside the main circuit board that could be the cause. To replace the main board would be too expensive so we are also making ice the old fashioned way. For what I paid for the parts, I should have just ordered a table top ice maker.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 17, 2019 10:42AM
Same fridge problem, same brand. Maybe same Samsung as Ombligo. Ice maker just up and decided to stop working one day. Since I can still put my own ice into the feeder/crusher, that's what I do. That's my $3 repair (though I already had the ice trays from previous fridge's ice maker issues).

Previous fridge (Whirlpool) had its water line to the ice maker freeze. After the Christmas outage many years ago (no power for a week), the ice maker worked again for a day after the power came back on before it froze up again.

I won't spend any money to repair an ice maker; as noted by others, too many possible problems, too expensive to diagnose, too expensive to repair. I'll probably just get a fridge with a water dispenser next time.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: rz
Date: November 17, 2019 07:49PM
Our kitchenaid had the line freeze up. Hadn't worked for a couple of years, except for the time we heated it up to unfreeze it. It worked for a day or two, then froze up again. Wife bought an ice making machine (which made a ton of noise but not a ton of ice). It finally died after a couple of years. Then she started buying 20lb bags of ice. Finally the whole freezer died, so we bought a whole new fridge.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 133
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020