advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Things that made you grow wiser and a bit more jaded...
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 19, 2019 01:57PM
The time I hitched my bike to a pole and strode into a store CONFIDENT that I had applied FORT KNOX level security to my hard begged for bike.

K-Mart, you should have advised me better. You should have advised me.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Things that made you grow wiser and a bit more jaded...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 19, 2019 02:02PM
....sorry for your loss.....the world is indeed a cruel.....cruel......place.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ammo
Date: November 19, 2019 02:03PM
Those were the days, my friend.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. —Wendy Mass

Until you make your unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. - Carl Jung
Date: November 19, 2019 02:16PM
Ammo
Those were the days, my friend.

I think I might've been 10. Then had to begin another drawn out hard fought beggathon for another bike. Which you could only hope to get for either your birthday or Christmas.
Posted by: Acer
Date: November 19, 2019 02:25PM
That time I brought a prized matchbox cement mixer for show-and-tell in second grade. By afternoon recess, it had been pilfered from my desk. Teacher's response? You should not have brought it.
Date: November 19, 2019 02:41PM
Acer
That time I brought a prized matchbox cement mixer for show-and-tell in second grade. By afternoon recess, it had been pilfered from my desk. Teacher's response? You should not have brought it.

Teacher is lucky your last name wasn't Soprano.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 19, 2019 02:52PM
Acer

Oh, I can imagine the pain. That loss of innocence is a hard cliff we fall off. I can recall my own kids' first encounter with the concept of jealousy; they had no idea what it was until some kids movie informed them of the concept.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 19, 2019 05:18PM
Going out to the garage in 1977 to get my bike and finding it gone.

If it was stolen from a bike rack or even the yard, I would have accepted it, but from inside our garage? - that's just wrong.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 19, 2019 06:04PM
Ombligo

If it was stolen from a bike rack or even the yard, I would have accepted it, but from inside our garage? - that's just wrong.

I thought I was reading a post I had no recollection of typing.
I, too, had a bike stolen from my garage in 1977.
We got it back - albeit in pieces - after my parents went to court to testify against the juvenile delinquent who stole it.
Posted by: DP
Date: November 19, 2019 06:13PM
I've learned that, with the exception of a few, to trust nobody...

Unfortunately.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: maco
Date: November 19, 2019 06:41PM
Unexpectedly losing my wife of 28 years. Things have gotten better with time. I didn't worry about much before, I worry even less now. I've always had a sense of gratitude, it's even greater now. Still a bit jaded sometimes about the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 07:21PM by maco.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: November 19, 2019 07:27PM
S. Pupp
Ombligo

I thought I was reading a post I had no recollection of typing.
I, too, had a bike stolen from my garage in 1977.
We got it back - albeit in pieces - after my parents went to court to testify against the juvenile delinquent who stole it.

Geez - was 1977 the year to have bikes stolen out of the garage?
Add me to the list - I recall walking around the neighborhood afterwards and finding it ditched at the nearby elementary school, with the seat and tires slashed.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 19, 2019 07:45PM
I left my bike in the school bike rack which was in the teachers’ parking lot every school day for two years without a lock and nobody took it. It was a three speed 26” Schwinn.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: November 19, 2019 07:54PM
......what about the bike rack.......was it a nice rack.....???

Posted by: blooz
Date: November 19, 2019 08:59PM
Finding out from her roommate that the woman I had a crush on (I was a sophomore in college and she was a couple years older) was lying through her teeth about her life to me, and was basically just having fun with me.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Date: November 19, 2019 09:09PM
.....Things that make you go......hmmmm......

Posted by: rz
Date: November 20, 2019 07:54AM
Acer

We've been going through this with my son. First, it was some prized Lego's he had gotten for Xmas. Someone stole them, and we explained to him that he shouldn't take stuff like that to school. Then last year he brought his collection of Japanese Pokemon cards, that we had spent days hunting down for him in Japan, and had them stolen. He got a few back, but even though several kids said that they either saw the thief take them, or heard the kid brag about it, the school did nothing about it. Well, what they did was ask the kid, and he denied it. Then they said there was nothing they could do since he denied it. I hope he's learned his lesson. He keeps bringing his prized Rubik's cube (the speed version that spins really easily) to school. I figure it'll get stolen next.

for me, it was a coin collection. Not much of one really, but I had a couple of pre-1964 quarters and some wheat pennies. They got stolen out of my desk at lunch. That was the last time I ever took anything of value to school.
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 20, 2019 08:41AM
When I found out in the 90s that the cooking competition show Iron Chef was pre-planned sad smiley

Q: On The Food Network program "Iron Chef America," does the Iron Chef know in advance that he/she is going to be selected by the challenger, and do they know what the secret ingredient will be before it is revealed to the audience?

The chefs aren't completely surprised by the secret ingredient because they have been given a few possible options beforehand.

And on the day of the challenge, they can probably figure out which ingredient it is based upon which shopping list has been purchased for them.

The matchups are also planned in advance, with challengers choosing their opponents weeks earlier. All of that makes it possible for producers to order the right ingredients that the chefs will use to prepare their dishes with the secret ingredient, but it also makes the show somewhat less challenging than it comes off on TV.

Both of these facts were confirmed in a fascinating behind-the-scenes piece in The Journal News' Rockland Magazine by Peter Kelly, who defeated Bobby Flay during an episode of "Iron Chef America." He says he chose Bobby Flay in part because "beating him would be a big deal" and that in Kitchen Stadium, the other Iron Chefs are "actually silhouetted stand-ins," not the real chefs.

As to the secret ingredient, he says producers gave him "three possibilities: swordfish, pork or cowboy steak. So I come up with three separate ingredient lists — only one of which they'll actually purchase for the battle." Kelly also revealed that they actually knew the secret ingredient before taping on the episode began because they could see which ingredients had been purchased for them.

But as is clear from watching the show, cooking that much that fast offers plenty of pressure and drama.
Date: November 20, 2019 08:44AM
.......'Quiz Show'.......he got the answers in advance.....

Posted by: Acer
Date: November 20, 2019 09:46AM
3d
When I found out in the 90s that the cooking competition show Iron Chef was pre-planned sad smiley

In Storage Wars, when I found out the participants are prepared to seed the units with outside stuff in case nothing interesting is already there. Fun gone, stopped watching.
Posted by: Don C
Date: November 20, 2019 11:15AM
Cassius Clay had his bicycle stolen and he was going to go after the kid who took it. A policeman heard the threat and talked him into going to the gym to learn to box. The rest is history.

Spalding University where that gym was located has a bicycle hanging above the door of the student center in his honor.

I think everyone here is old enough to know that Cassius Clay changed his name to Muhammed Ali.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: November 20, 2019 12:19PM
The Vietnam war.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: November 20, 2019 03:58PM
Finding out that the gay bars in a given city are never more crowded with convention attendees than when a religious convention, particularly the Southern Baptist one, is in town.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.

Resist the Thought Police: George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not an instruction manual.

"Political correctness is just intellectual colonialism and psychological fascism for the creation of thought crime" - Steve Hughes
Date: November 20, 2019 04:32PM
.....can I get an amen........

Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 20, 2019 08:49PM
Jr. High School.

Where I learned that everything they taught me in grade school was a lie.

Three kingdoms? A lie.

The causes of world wars. Lies.

Time zones matching up with the rotation of the earth. A lie.

Grammar. Flexible. Hard core "literature" ... More than just excerpts from Charles Dickens and Mark Twain.

Evolution. Not a straight line. Not "survival of the fittest." Messy. Sex and gender are different things. Life is probably a billion years older than they said.

Math: New rules for "new math."

Columbus didn't discover America. Settlers didn't all come here for "freedom." "Indians" aren't Indians. Poverty isn't something you work your way out of. Elections aren't determined by majorities. Macaroni and thin acrylic paint seldom make great art. Dad did not enjoy the paper neck-tie with "Father" spelled out in sparkles (which are VERY bad for the environment).

They lied about everything.

Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 21, 2019 12:02AM
I found out there were women with enhanced features.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 110
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018