advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Just upgraded a 2017 27" iMac to a 1TB SSD
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 19, 2019 08:51PM
Man, that is a tough install. You have to gut the entire machine to get at the SSD which is under the logic board. I couldn't find an OWC video on how to do it, the link on the product page just goes to their general video section and they only have a video on replacing the larger drive for that model.

On to installing Catalina and testing.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Just upgraded a 2017 27" iMac to a 1TB SSD
Posted by: clay
Date: November 19, 2019 08:53PM
what SSD did you install? what did the new drive replace? a smaller SSD?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2019 08:55PM by clay.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: November 19, 2019 09:17PM
Congrats! Must be a huge relief to have it all back together and working properly.

Just discovered that the the battery is bulging in my late 2013 MBP. Watched the whole OWC install video today, and it's a pretty big gut job. I went back and forth between "oh, hell no" to "I can do this if I really take my time" to "oh, hell no" and back to "it's worth a shot depending on what the genius bar says."

In the end, I will probably chicken out because I don't feel so good about working so closely to the battery in its current state.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 19, 2019 09:31PM
It was a Fusion Drive Mac with a 32GB SSD and 1TB HDD. Pulled out the 32GB SSD and installed an OWC Aura SSD and left the 1TB HDD in as a backup drive.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 19, 2019 11:39PM
datbeme
Congrats! Must be a huge relief to have it all back together and working properly.

Just discovered that the the battery is bulging in my late 2013 MBP. Watched the whole OWC install video today, and it's a pretty big gut job. I went back and forth between "oh, hell no" to "I can do this if I really take my time" to "oh, hell no" and back to "it's worth a shot depending on what the genius bar says."

In the end, I will probably chicken out because I don't feel so good about working so closely to the battery in its current state.

You should look at this thread, there was a post in it that mentioned an alternate method to remove the battery without removing the logic board.

[forums.macresource.com]

This was the video

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: datbeme
Date: November 20, 2019 12:26AM
GGD
datbeme

You should look at this thread, there was a post in it that mentioned an alternate method to remove the battery without removing the logic board.

[forums.macresource.com]

This was the video

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you so much! I may be back to "oh, hell no," but after several hours of googling, I'm dumfounded that this was posted in the forum just 4 days ago. DaveMchine apparently avoided all of the buzzwords I used in my searches.

No matter what happens, I think I might make a life-sized poster of his notes. Too cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2019 12:28AM by datbeme.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: November 20, 2019 05:57AM
datbeme
GGD
datbeme

[forums.macresource.com]

This was the video

[www.youtube.com]

Thank you so much! I may be back to "oh, hell no," but after several hours of googling, I'm dumfounded that this was posted in the forum just 4 days ago. DaveMchine apparently avoided all of the buzzwords I used in my searches.

No matter what happens, I think I might make a life-sized poster of his notes. Too cool.

We have always done it similar to this but used seperate sheets of paper for each stage, taped the parts on and stacked up the sheers. Then the stages and parts were in the right order for reassembly.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: November 20, 2019 07:55AM
Dennis R
datbeme
GGD
datbeme

[forums.macresource.com]

This was the video

[www.youtube.com]

We have always done it similar to this but used seperate sheets of paper for each stage, taped the parts on and stacked up the sheers. Then the stages and parts were in the right order for reassembly.

I went to using this magnetic writeable mat years ago, very handy.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 20, 2019 08:29AM
For future reference, iFixit says the teardown is similar to the 2015
[www.ifixit.com]

2015 teardown guides
[www.ifixit.com]
Posted by: spacescape
Date: November 20, 2019 09:10AM
For the price of SSD drives all iMacs should just have 512 SSD by default!!!
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 20, 2019 10:35AM
Dennis R

Back in the G3 iBook days, I used to print out pictures from the disassembly instructions that showed where all the screws go, and would tape the removed screws to their part of the picture.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 20, 2019 10:54AM
spacescape
For the price of SSD drives all iMacs should just have 512 SSD by default!!!

iMacs dont have the cheapest you can buy off ebay 2.5" SSDs inside.

They have PCIe NVME Flash storage.

But agree.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 20, 2019 03:28PM
GGD
Dennis R

Back in the G3 iBook days, I used to print out pictures from the disassembly instructions that showed where all the screws go, and would tape the removed screws to their part of the picture.

I would use a sharpie and mark up a chocolate tray from a Whitman's Sampler box to hold the screws smiling smiley ...or an egg carton.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 20, 2019 04:19PM
Why not drop it into an external case?

USB for cheap, TB if you want to pay for performance.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 20, 2019 06:03PM
Bill in NC
Why not drop it into an external case?

USB for cheap, TB if you want to pay for performance.

I was gonna ask the same quesiton, but since he already installed it, seemed irrelevant.

Several posts in the last few days about building a an external 40 GB/s PCIe NVME drives.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 104
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018