advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
By golly 5G is apparently a real thing
Posted by: Don C
Date: November 20, 2019 12:01PM
Guys working on a utility pole just down the street. I checked on it and they are installing 5G about 100 yards away. ATT. Too bad I have nothing that can used 5G; but it is here if I need it!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: By golly 5G is apparently a real thing
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 20, 2019 12:06PM
At least for 500m from that point. We'll see when it makes it to my neighborhood. My driveway is a dead zone yet I live in a city.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 20, 2019 01:34PM
mattkime
At least for 500m from that point.

That's optimistic:

5G cell towers are telecommunications sites that could boost wireless signals by ten times the current speed of 4G. 5G operates in a high-frequency band of the wireless spectrum. Because high frequency waves have a harder time traveling over distance & through objects, the 5G network will be built on small cell site technology with antennas as close as 500 feet apart.

[www.celltowerleaseexperts.com]

It is what it is.
Posted by: Don C
Date: November 20, 2019 01:50PM
500 ft apart is a LOT of towers. We are 10 blocks from downtown. I am surprised to see a tower this far away from the central business district. OTOH, we are exactly midway between downtown (where the ATT office is) and a neighborhood that the city wants to build up.

Do the towers act as relays as well as "distribution" points?
Date: November 20, 2019 02:02PM
Don C
Do the towers act as relays as well as "distribution" points?

AINT NOBODY GOT THE BANDWIDTH FOR THAT

Posted by: jonny
Date: November 20, 2019 03:12PM
And... uh... don't forget. You gotta be outside to use it.
Date: November 20, 2019 03:28PM
jonny
And... uh... don't forget. You gotta be outside to use it.

Internal 5G networks will be a thing.

It is what it is.
Date: November 20, 2019 04:05PM
I’m sure a whole new market of external/internal repeaters is on the way.
Date: November 20, 2019 04:08PM
This just in... Verizon 5g maps are out; [www.verizonwireless.com]
Date: November 20, 2019 05:18PM
jonny
I’m sure a whole new market of external/internal repeaters is on the way.

Not repeaters - more like DAS. A 5G headend unit will grab signal from the building exterior and rebroadcast it throughout a building via multiple internal antennas. Since 5G's "millimeter wave" won't pass through walls, that's gonna add up to a lot of antennas required to provide blanket 5G coverage throughout an entire building.

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 20, 2019 06:51PM
When I can buy a 5G ‘mifi’ device and get unlimited data for a set price, I’ll be getting one.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 20, 2019 07:02PM
there are a couple of spots around atlanta where my phone shows 5Ge. don’t know what the e stands for.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Date: November 20, 2019 07:37PM
e stands for marketing gimmick

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 20, 2019 07:39PM
graylocks
there are a couple of spots around atlanta where my phone shows 5Ge. don’t know what the e stands for.

It means 5G"Evolution" (or experimental, excrement, or...). It's a misleading marketing display icon strictly to advertise the fact that there is at least one single 1000 sqft area somewhere nearby where--if you have one of the 24 models of phones with a first generation experimental 5G NR modem (Samsung Galaxy S10 5G, Huawei, LG, Xaiomi) --you might actually see speeds higher than 4G when you are the only 5Ge user in the area.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 20, 2019 09:06PM
Filliam H. Muffman
graylocks

It means 5G"Evolution" (or experimental, excrement, or...). It's a misleading marketing display icon strictly to advertise the fact that there is at least one single 1000 sqft area somewhere nearby where--if you have one of the 24 models of phones with a first generation experimental 5G NR modem (Samsung Galaxy S10 5G, Huawei, LG, Xaiomi) --you might actually see speeds higher than 4G when you are the only 5Ge user in the area.

To be clear:

5Ge is rebranded 4G LTE.
[en.wikipedia.org]

It is not 5G.

4G LTE was supposed to hit Gigabit speeds, so technically, it's not even up to par as 4G under the original definition. They rebranded 3.5/3.95G LTE as 4G to cover up the fact that the United States is getting screwed, paying inflated prices for lesser services.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2019 09:13PM by Sarcany.
Date: November 20, 2019 09:53PM
Sarcany
Filliam H. Muffman
graylocks

To be clear:

5Ge is rebranded 4G LTE.
[en.wikipedia.org]

It is not 5G.

4G LTE was supposed to hit Gigabit speeds, so technically, it's not even up to par as 4G under the original definition. They rebranded 3.5/3.95G LTE as 4G to cover up the fact that the United States is getting screwed, paying inflated prices for lesser services.

This.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: November 21, 2019 12:06AM
sekker
When I can buy a 5G ‘mifi’ device and get unlimited data for a set price, I’ll be getting one.

lol
Posted by: wowzer
Date: November 21, 2019 01:33AM
Fake news.

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 21, 2019 09:51AM
Mike Johnson
sekker

lol

Yep, not holding my breath!
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: November 21, 2019 04:47PM
sekker

I get unlimited data for a set price on my iPhone 6s, with T-Mobile. Of course, my cellular coverage stinks.

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 22, 2019 05:21AM
jonny
This just in... Verizon 5g maps are out; [www.verizonwireless.com]

That map suggests that I don't have to worry about a 5g iPhone for some time. We live north of Atlanta 5 miles outside of a moderate sized city in a subdivision.

I think I'll look at replacing our 6s phones with whatever Apple calls the supposedly-to-be-released iPhone in the winter.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: November 22, 2019 12:01PM
sekker

$35/month for AT&T's "unlimited" tablet plan isn't a bad choice for now (setup the plan via a tablet then move the SIM to a hotspot)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 280
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018