Date: November 20, 2019 12:17PM
Plex lifetime pass $89.99
Use Code: PLEX4LIFE at checkout.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Plex Lifetime $89.99 - 2 days only
Posted by: BernDog
Date: November 20, 2019 12:48PM
Thanks for the post.

I just recently switched to a plex server from using Infuse and a USB HD hooked directly to my AirPort Extreme. Much better experience, and I’ve been using some of the added functionality such as the streaming capability.

The free version has been great, but I don’t see anything that the paid version would get me that I’d like to add over the free. I have no desire to use the DVR function, and I don’t care about the other advanced options that are added.

I’m not asking this to be a troll, but what else is in there that I might benefit from for what I currently do? I use Apple TV to watch videos, and I stream videos and music to my phone and laptop. I don’t have any need for photo capabilities, and why would anyone want to add trailers before their movies?

If anyone knows, please let me know if I’m missing something? I’d hate to discover a killer (for me) added feature later and miss out on a good deal.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: November 20, 2019 12:49PM
Good deal.
My understanding is that Plex is doing away with its 10-foot Home Theater PC interface (edit - for its computer version), which is too bad, and rules it out for me.

If you want an audiophile-level experience and/or a Home Theater PC 10-foot interface, consider JRiver (under the View menu, select "Theater View"). Until Dec 10, it is discounted to $22.98 for the upcoming version 26. It is not a subscription - but updates stop after a year. If it works for you, there's no need to update to later versions.

JRiver works better on a PC than on a Mac. On a PC, it works with internal or networked ATSC tuners, replacing Windows Media Center. It has NO TV abilities in the Mac version. I bought it for its audiophile-level audio capabilities, but turned to it when I couldn't get Kodi to work with my tuners, or MediaPortal to download guide info. I did not try Plex, since I already had a JRiver license; and, again, Plex has since decided to do away with its home-theater-PC-friendly 10-foot interface (edit - on its computer version).

I use it also to stream video and audio to my phone when out of the house and bored out of my mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2019 12:53PM by S. Pupp.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 20, 2019 02:01PM
We have been increasingly using PLEX for our media center use, glad to support them and get mobile device support.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 20, 2019 11:18PM
Been using plain Plex for some years now.
But don't feel the need for Pass.
I use Emby for away from home.
Seems pretty good.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 21, 2019 04:41AM
Forgive me for this possibly stupid question, but what is Plex and why would I want it? I have an AppleTV, and we pretty much stream what we want to watch from that, whether it be from services like Amazon Prime, or movies that I have in my library.
Posted by: robfilms
Date: November 21, 2019 08:53AM
Sam3
Forgive me for this possibly stupid question, but what is Plex and why would I want it? I have an AppleTV, and we pretty much stream what we want to watch from that, whether it be from services like Amazon Prime, or movies that I have in my library.

same question!

thanks in advance.

rob
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 21, 2019 11:47AM
If you use Plex, this is a great deal.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 21, 2019 04:27PM
what is Plex and why would I want it?

same question!

[crickets]

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Golfer
Date: November 21, 2019 08:13PM
Plex is a media server app. Throw your movies/music/pictures on it and then stream them to any device that you can load the Plex client app onto.

I load all our movies onto an external USB drive hooked up to a 2010 Macbook Pro that runs the Plex server app (you can also run the server app on a lot of NAS units and other specialty devices). We can then play said movies on any computer/iPad/iPhone/TV/gaming device in the house. On the tvs, if you have a smart tv you can download the Plex client to it or use a streaming device like Roku/Firestick/Chromecast. It's free to use inside your home network. If you want to stream it remotely it requires Plex Pass, which is a one-time fee. I use Pass so my daughter/brother/sister/father/mother can all stream movies off it to their homes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2019 08:23PM by Golfer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018