advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
FU: Leak in Copper Pipe behind wall
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 25, 2019 05:45PM
First to answer the other thread where I asked how to rotate a picture to show the way it was taken, I followed the advice to open in Preview, and just do shift-command-4 to screen capture the images in preview. Then uploaded to MR. Then using the img tags to display

Used the Sharkbite slide fixture. Had to cut the 2 inches of copper out, and then slide the Sharkbite up and then back down on the copper coming from under the house.

This should save my water bill from being so high

This is the corner wall, with the utility tub moved. The copper with hole, was at the bottom area, where the base molding nail went through copper

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: FU: Leak in Copper Pipe behind wall
Posted by: davester
Date: November 25, 2019 05:50PM
Home repair leader!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 25, 2019 05:56PM
It's been spraying water through that hole for 3-4 months?
Did you find out where the water was collecting?
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 25, 2019 06:19PM
davester
Home repair leader!

Did you take those photos with a flip phone?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: November 25, 2019 06:26PM
If you have had a leak that large for any period of time, you're going to need to brush up on your dry wall skills. That whole wall needs to come down and that wall cavity dried and then sprayed with bleach. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 25, 2019 06:53PM
PeterW
If you have had a leak that large for any period of time, you're going to need to brush up on your dry wall skills. That whole wall needs to come down and that wall cavity dried and then sprayed with bleach. Lather, rinse, repeat.

agree smiley

Might be able to paint the cavity once dry and just replace the bathroom side. Could go Stud to stud but they sell 4 x 4 sheets of Green board and I would do no less. Well, where ever the studs fall.

Plumbing sucks!

Thanks for the FU.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: BernDog
Date: November 25, 2019 08:23PM
Sorry to pour even more into the “you’re doing it wrong” bucket, but shark bite connectors are not for use inside walls.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 25, 2019 08:33PM
BernDog
Sorry to pour even more into the “you’re doing it wrong” bucket, but shark bite connectors are not for use inside walls.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Shark bite connectors are code-approved throughout the US for use inside walls. That said, there is some controversy regarding that use generated by old guy plumbers regarding the perceived longevity of the o-rings that form the seal inside. However, they've been in use for 15 years now and no widespread failure patterns have yet emerged. The controversy is about perception, not evidence. Personally, I tend not to use them unless I'm repairing something where a torch and soldering would have the potential to burn the house down. However, I'm perfectly fine using them for repairs such as Microman's use.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 25, 2019 09:51PM
You wooden studs probably have rot. Hopefully the nail plugged most of the hole although if you could see it in your water bill I would be concerned about significant damage including to the floor and its supports. Good luck.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: November 26, 2019 07:51AM
davester
BernDog

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Shark bite connectors are code-approved throughout the US for use inside walls. That said, there is some controversy regarding that use generated by old guy plumbers regarding the perceived longevity of the o-rings that form the seal inside. However, they've been in use for 15 years now and no widespread failure patterns have yet emerged. The controversy is about perception, not evidence. Personally, I tend not to use them unless I'm repairing something where a torch and soldering would have the potential to burn the house down. However, I'm perfectly fine using them for repairs such as Microman's use.

I must have been going on old info. I swear it was even in the instructions (but I’m likely crossing the streams). Never been in on an “old plumber” debate about it. Sorry to spread misinformation, and thanks for the correction, davester. I’ll likely have an opportunity to put this knowledge to use in the future.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: November 26, 2019 02:24PM
If it is copper pipe......shark bite.
If it is pex do it right.

Not one for setting the house on fire soldering. Really. Singe that 2x4 just a wee bit and the smell will be there longer than you.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: iamrfixit
Date: November 26, 2019 03:06PM
Not much debate, makes little difference whether they are "approved" or not. There have been a number of once "approved" methods and materials that turned out to be massive failures over time. Polybutylene, is a great example.

Sharkbites create their seal by using a rubber O-ring. One thing for certain, an O-ring WILL fail over time. There are many conditions such as pipe movement, exposure to environmental conditions or home cleaning solutions that can speed that along.

Plumbing systems can last a long time, 50+ years is very common, even twice that in many homes. Saying something has been proven over so few years doesn't carry much weight.

Burying an O-ring fitting inside a finished wall is asking for problems down the road. Water leaks can cause tremendous amounts of damage if they're not detected quickly.

Sharkbite fittings do make a great quick fix, I've used a few out in accessible areas just to make a quick repair. Also for after hours repairs when the right fittings aren't available, or upstream shut off valves leak enough I couldn't solder. Or for temporary connections during remodels, they offer a great solution just to get the water turned back on. They allow time to gather the correct parts and make a more durable repair at a more convenient time.
Posted by: Microman
Date: November 27, 2019 01:37PM
IF I hadn't asked my wifes cousins the handy man to give me a hand, I would have settled for putting to copper slide unions on. FLUX and SOLDER, suck into the heated pipe. I have done it on the pipe running into the house to add a valve to the sprinklers...

Wasn't a big deal, but Wifes Cousin didn't want to fire too close to the wood, I would have put the protective fire blanket thingy he had down, and fluxed her up and heated her up, and sucked the solder in.

Now I am just thinking about leaving a nice squared off hole and having a door to open or remove. It is really in a non visible spot, but would be nice to check on , every so often.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 107
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018