advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Venting: Apple Genius at store
Posted by: chopper
Date: November 25, 2019 06:34PM
My 6S has been slow to charge and now refuses to charge. Original battery. Works fine other than that. Saw that Apple does $49 battery swap. So ...

I drove an hour there and an hour back to the local Apple store.

Tech was swamped. I told him the phone's battery has been dodgy for a few weeks and it has refused or been slow to charge when it wears down to nothing. Also does not like to take a charge sometimes.

He did diagnostic on it and said that it "refused to charge" and when things like that happen it's the logic board. I said, well, the phone was working this morning and this battery situation is not new. This is the first time it has not recovered after leaving it plugged in for a few hours.

Asked if I could pay them to swap the battery anyway and he said no, they don't do that. On to the next person.

Really sucked.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Venting: Apple Genius at store
Posted by: Carm
Date: November 25, 2019 06:39PM
That sucks. They get extra swamped especially around the holidays.
If you hang around long enough you get to hear why people are there. Some are there for the most basic of reasons. It’s like the internet is your friend.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 25, 2019 06:54PM
Assumed you cleaned the lighting port. I mean really cleaned, with like a toothpick and a light. Lint can get really jammed up in there.

And mall kiosk guy right outside the apple store.

He would have replaced it, prob no questions asked...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 25, 2019 06:55PM
Had something similar happen to a friend, went to another Apple store, they did the battery swap. The real problem was a bad lightning cable, and it wasn't charging. Quite possible that it didn't even need a battery swap, but based on it's age it probably wasn't a bad thing.

First genius said that it was the logic board and it would never power on again. Seems like if you walk into an Apple Store their goal is to sell you a new phone.
Date: November 25, 2019 07:27PM
<<And mall kiosk guy right outside the apple store.

He would have replaced it, prob no questions asked...>>

FYI the MOA Apple Store has moved from it's old loc across from the MSoft store. They are waaaaay down the Mall now.

The only vendor guy by the store was selling sock puppets and perfume.
Date: November 25, 2019 07:29PM
<<If you hang around long enough you get to hear why people are there. Some are there for the most basic of reasons. It’s like the internet is your friend. >>

I hung on the Genius tables for an hour or so before the apt and eavesdropped. 90% of the tech issues were password related.
Date: November 25, 2019 07:30PM
<<First genius said that it was the logic board and it would never power on again. Seems like if you walk into an Apple Store their goal is to sell you a new phone. >>

100%.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 25, 2019 11:47PM
chopper
<<First genius said that it was the logic board and it would never power on again. Seems like if you walk into an Apple Store their goal is to sell you a new phone. >>

100%.

Hang in there and check who does battery swaps around there. The 6's are fairly inexpensive to replace.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: November 26, 2019 05:38AM
The Geniuses are really hit or miss. I went to my local Apple store and mentioned that my iMac was really slow on Mohave and that I had done some troubleshooting steps short of reinstalling the OS, the guy said 'bring it in, we'll check it out, there may be a problem with it.' Ok, so a week later I lug the iMac into the store, get a different "Genius" who evidently didn't want to be bothered with me who told me, 'you should reinstall the OS, that will solve your problem.' I told him that I was told to bring it in, he replied that they can't do diagnostics, they would have to ship it out, and I'd have to pay the repair fee, and most likely it needs an OS reinstall. I gave up and trudged out with undiagnosed iMac in hand.

Another time my daughter's one Airpod was not working properly, we went in, the Genius replaced the defective one, but the new one wouldn't pair and sync with the case, so then he brought out a new Airpod case. Still didn't sync, but he found out it could take anywhere up to a half hour to pair. We hung around, looking at the new iphones and MBP's, came back and everything was working. But when he had my daughter test it, she mentioned that the new one was much louder than the other one. At first he said to make another Genius bar appt, but then, looking at us (maybe her), asked if we were willing to wait, then proceeded to get a new Airpod for the other ear. Essentially my daughter has a new Airpod set thanks to this Genius.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 26, 2019 02:29PM
Sam3
The Geniuses are really hit or miss. I went to my local Apple store and mentioned that my iMac was really slow on Mohave and that I had done some troubleshooting steps short of reinstalling the OS, the guy said 'bring it in, we'll check it out, there may be a problem with it.' Ok, so a week later I lug the iMac into the store, get a different "Genius" who evidently didn't want to be bothered with me who told me, 'you should reinstall the OS, that will solve your problem.' I told him that I was told to bring it in, he replied that they can't do diagnostics, they would have to ship it out, and I'd have to pay the repair fee, and most likely it needs an OS reinstall. I gave up and trudged out with undiagnosed iMac in hand.

Another time my daughter's one Airpod was not working properly, we went in, the Genius replaced the defective one, but the new one wouldn't pair and sync with the case, so then he brought out a new Airpod case. Still didn't sync, but he found out it could take anywhere up to a half hour to pair. We hung around, looking at the new iphones and MBP's, came back and everything was working. But when he had my daughter test it, she mentioned that the new one was much louder than the other one. At first he said to make another Genius bar appt, but then, looking at us (maybe her), asked if we were willing to wait, then proceeded to get a new Airpod for the other ear. Essentially my daughter has a new Airpod set thanks to this Genius.

Daughters are the true bosses anyway.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 308
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018