advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
installing down lights - any advice on spacing?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 27, 2019 10:39AM
I'd like to have a well lit basement and thin led down lights seem like a good potential solution to the problem. Any good advice / resources for determining the best configuration for an array of such lights? I've found a couple of resources online but thought it might be good to check with my forum friends to see if there's any sage advice.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: installing down lights - any advice on spacing?
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 27, 2019 10:50AM
Are you talking recessed can lights or tracks?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: November 27, 2019 11:11AM
Recessed, but with led it’s more of a 6” round panel

Posted by: Carm
Date: November 27, 2019 11:37AM
Use vs centering! Kitchen has a lot (6) . Hallway has 3. Kitchen lights are spaced 4 feet apart 3 on each side centered perfectly. Hallway spaced 9 feet apart with the two outer ones centered with the side walls.
Before you start making holes, if you have drywall/Sheetrock get a stud finder and tape to mark potential locations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 11:41AM by Carm.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 27, 2019 11:39AM
One data point - we have 4 “60 watt” recessed LEDs (bulbs in cans that used to contain incandescent) in our sitting room which is about 14 x 14. It’s not bright - more like warm and cozy at night.

BTW, the 4 are arranged in a diamond/square pattern near the center of the room, with each light being the corner of a 2.5’ square.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 27, 2019 11:49AM
It depends substantially on the beam angle of the light fixture, which can vary substantially. Downlights in particular often have a very narrow beam angle due to the shadow cast by the edge of the fixture. For most basement, garage or other utility applications my opinion is that it's better to have a surface mount fixture that can shine light sideways as well as downwards so that you can illuminate a much larger area with far fewer fixtures. I would only use a recessed can in such a situation if there was an overhead clearance issue.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 27, 2019 12:00PM
mattkime
Recessed, but with led it’s more of a 6” round panel

Ah.
In our living room our cans are about 6’ apart one way and about 8’ the other way. Ours are not LED, so the LED ones would probs put out even more light.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: November 27, 2019 12:08PM
>It depends substantially on the beam angle of the light fixture,

as they're led panel style, its a very wide beam although I'll need to navigate support beams. THe support beams might restrict the beam angle but I could always mount the fixture a bit lower to help negate that.

Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 27, 2019 12:26PM
me, I like it bright. Ours are "90wt" cans and they're 3' apart.
But don't think I'd put 'em any tighter even with lesser "wattage".
Look kinda fugly.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 12:49PM by Fritz.
Posted by: John B.
Date: November 27, 2019 12:32PM
I have (6) of the wafer-style LEDs covering a 18'x12' basement room and it's plenty bright (I have them on a dimmer switch). If you're using the wafers, mount the light fixture to the bottom of the beam and the "box" up inside the beam.

This is the model I used and they are mounted in a suspended ceiling.
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: November 28, 2019 12:38PM
what are the dimensions of the room?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 365
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018