advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Oh crap. I have NO desire for an Apple Watch, but...
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 27, 2019 04:27PM
...apparently my wife does. She dropped the hint for a Christmas present. What's worse is I have no idea why she'd like one. I know nothing about them, because I've never cared about them. All I've learned is that Walmart/Target has a Black Friday deal for a series 3 for $129 (Apple Store is $199), but I'm guessing I'd be ostracized here if I went for that. I can't drop $700+ for the latest and greatest. Yes, the best answer I guess would be to ask her, but that kind of kills any surprise.

FWIW, she still uses an iPhone 6, so she's not one who needs state-of-the-art. Is there a better place than the Apple website for a side by side comparison of the different models? Are they like iPhones in that the newer models just do things faster or do they do more and different things? Thanks.

Oh yeah, do these usually require an add-on to one's cellular plan?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 04:29PM by wurm.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Oh crap. I have NO desire for an Apple Watch, but...
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 27, 2019 04:36PM
wurm
...apparently my wife does. She dropped the hint for a Christmas present. ... Yes, the best answer I guess would be to ask her, but that kind of kills any surprise.

what surprise???
Date: November 27, 2019 04:40PM
To Answer your question:

No, they do not required cellular plan. Some models have WiFi, BlueTooth and GPS only, other models add Cell data/voice. even if you get the cell version, which is about $70-80 more I think, you do not absolutely need a cell plan. You can still make 911 emergency calls for free.

The series 3 is OK, series 4 is slightly larger and ads EKG (Electro cardio Gram) and series 5 seems to have display ON all the time AFAIK. get series 3, unless you need EKG or fall detection on models 4 and 5.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 27, 2019 04:45PM
This place was founded on going broke saving money. No ostracizing just rooting on.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 27, 2019 04:49PM
Will the newer Apple Watches work with an iPhone 6? Not sure which WatchOS they are shipping with now.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 27, 2019 04:50PM
Need better than an iPhone 6 for an Apple Watch.

The latest watchOS requires at least an iPhone 6s.

Guessing there are BOTH a new iPhone and a new Apple Watch in her future.

The Apple Watch 4 is the sweet spot right now. The only thing that the 5 does that's different is the always-on display which drains the battery quickly and will probably be toggled off shortly after purchase. The 4 and the 5 have the same spec's otherwise and since the 4 is last year's model it's cheaper.

ECG and fall-detection are worthwhile if you're in any sort of risk-category. My mom's triggered fall-detection on multiple occasions -- all legit -- and she's only had the watch for about 6 months.

Her doctors have asked her to use the ECG on a few occasions as well, tho it seems that was more to ensure that she was familiar with it than due to any cardio problems that it might help with. (At only one line, it's suggestive rather than informative.)

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 27, 2019 04:52PM
......and if one falls.......it will alert.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: ArtP
Date: November 27, 2019 05:08PM
Sarcany
Need better than an iPhone 6 for an Apple Watch.

The latest watchOS requires at least an iPhone 6s.

Guessing there are BOTH a new iPhone and a new Apple Watch in her future.

I'm using a Series 3 Apple Watch with a iPhone 5s. I'm not using it for Apple Pay (I think I saw a way I could but Apple Pay was iPhone 6 or later). My first smartwatch was a Pebble before it went under- so big difference in functionality and style by comparison.

I've only had it for a couple months and haven't had a chance to load every App in the world on it but I do like the basic functionality. Works great as an extension of the iPhone - seeing who's calling or texting, facebook or twitter (and other lock screen) notifications, activity tracker, sleep tracker, etc,

I don't use it much but you can also answer and make calls on it (get your Dick Tracy On!). Works great with Siri instead of pulling out your phone.

Best thing about the Series 3 and above - WATER RESISTANT - so you can shower, bathe and (MAKE HER) do dishes without worry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 05:09PM by ArtP.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 27, 2019 05:08PM
Come on man, you’re smarter than that! Have someone else ask her what she wants and report back to you, surreptitiously!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 27, 2019 05:09PM
Just have someone else ask her what she wants and report back to you surreptitiously!
Posted by: BernDog
Date: November 27, 2019 05:14PM
How surreptitious is it if you ask twice?
Date: November 27, 2019 05:37PM
Thanks, all. Good info to have. I thought I was all set when Sarcany said Need better than an iPhone 6 for an Apple Watch, but ArtP took care of that. smiling smiley

Optionally, I suppose we could just get her any of them and she could return or trade it in for one she would actually want. She had a Fitbit for a while and I'm pretty sure she likes that aspect of the Apple Watch, but other than that, I don't know. I had asked my adult daughter to try to pry more info out of her, but I don't know how successful that has been. And now I realize we're just discussing models, never mind size and color. Jeebus.
Date: November 27, 2019 05:46PM
Okay, one more question. In order to use it to see incoming texts/calls, I would have to get the +Cellular version, right? And then it would be an addition $10/mo or whatever with the carrier? So what does the GPS version do? Is it just a watch that can also run apps?

Never mind. I think I've figured it out, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

• With the GPS only version, she can still see calls/text (and take and receive them?) as long as her phone is nearby? No extra charge from carrier?

• With the + Cellular version, it's basically a phone on your wrist, which mean you don't even need your regular phone with you, but would then require an add-on plan with your carrier.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 05:53PM by wurm.
Re: Oh crap. I have NO desire ...
Date: November 27, 2019 05:47PM
Is she good looking? tell her to meet me for a cup of coffee and I maybe will tell you what she really wants. wink smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 05:47PM by space-time.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 27, 2019 05:48PM
Agree that the sweet spot is the 4 - heavily discounted with almost all the bells and whistles of the 5. Big question is what color case does she want - silver, rose gold, black, space gray? More of an issue for a woman than for a man, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 05:49PM by vicrock.
Date: November 27, 2019 05:57PM
vicrock
Agree that the sweet spot is the 4 - heavily discounted with almost all the bells and whistles of the 5. Big question is what color case does she want - silver, rose gold, black, space gray? More of an issue for a woman than for a man, IMO.

Yeah, that's what I realized after all the talk about models. Right now, this one for $299 seems like a nice option, assuming I'm understanding the GPS capabilities as I mentioned above.
Date: November 27, 2019 05:58PM
wurm
Thanks, all. Good info to have. I thought I was all set when Sarcany said Need better than an iPhone 6 for an Apple Watch, but ArtP took care of that. smiling smiley

You need an iPhone 6s to sync with a watch running watchOS 6.
[www.apple.com]

watchOS 6 compatibility.
watchOS 6 requires iPhone 6s or later with iOS 13 or later, and one of the following Apple Watch models:

Apple Watch Series 1
Apple Watch Series 2
Apple Watch Series 3
Apple Watch Series 4
Apple Watch Series 5

Not all features are available on all devices.

New Apple Watches should ship with watchOS 6.

Since Apple stopped selling the Apple Watch 4 when they announced the 5 (but are still selling the 3), you have a good shot at finding an Apple Watch 4 with watchOS5 for the iPhone 6. BestBuy has been dumping the model-4 at a good discount.

But a new model-5 or model-3 will come with watchOS 6 installed.

...You might find an old-stock model-3 with the old OS, but I wouldn't count on it.

Posted by: jdc
Date: November 27, 2019 06:04PM
A bit to unpack, and some of the advice here is good, but feels its missing some info. We have a 0, 1, 2 and 4 here.

Series 3 *can* work with a 6 -- as long as you dont upgrade to the latest watchOS, which is 6. Stay at 5.

Series 4 (and 5) are big step up from the 3. Larger edge to edge screens, faster, longer battery better screen. 5 introduces always on face (which doenst use extra battery), and a couple of other perks... but not leaps and bounds better than a 4.

Problem with the 5 is it might have watchOS 6 preinstalled, so cant use with iPhone 6.

BB has some deals on the 4, no idea on availability.

Id get the bigger size unless shes super petite. both my daughter like the larger models, both smaller women. 5'4".

just go with plain silver for the color, then pop over to amazon an get a 10 pack of multi-colored band s for $20. Easy to snap on and off for different looks.

All of the *cheapest* prices will be versions without stand-alone cellular capability. Its about $100 extra, and usually requires an extra $10 month change from your cell phone provider. Unless shes somewhere where shes not with her phone a lot, prob an unneeded option. We have never had it, never missed it.

IMHO, the best bang for the buck is the 42mm 3 if you can get it for really cheap.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 27, 2019 06:10PM
wurm
Okay, one more question. In order to use it to see incoming texts/calls, I would have to get the +Cellular version, right?

I don't think so. I think if you get a call or text on your iPhone, and it's within BT range, it will tell you who's calling, and/or show you the text.

Could be wrong, since I don't have an Apple Watch, but this is the way it works with my wife's Fitbit (and she has an iPhone).
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 27, 2019 06:21PM
BernDog
How surreptitious is it if you ask twice?

ROTFL
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 27, 2019 06:32PM
wurm
• With the GPS only version, she can still see calls/text (and take and receive them?) as long as her phone is nearby? No extra charge from carrier?

• With the + Cellular version, it's basically a phone on your wrist, which mean you don't even need your regular phone with you, but would then require an add-on plan with your carrier.

Correct on both.

The BB one @299 aint bad... but Id still go the 44 mm for $329.

Ive been shopping around too... found the 5 at costco for $355/40 mm & $380 44 mm.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 27, 2019 06:38PM
Id get the bigger size unless shes super petite. both my daughter like the larger models, both smaller women. 5'4".

Interesting about the size. As sexist as it may seem, my thinking was the bigger model for a guy, the smaller for a woman. Good to know.

just go with plain silver for the color, then pop over to amazon an get a 10 pack of multi-colored band s for $20. Easy to snap on and off for different looks.

That's a great idea. Thanks.

IMHO, the best bang for the buck is the 42mm 3 if you can get it for really cheap.

I see it for $199 at Target and Wally's

----

But that Silver series 4 for $329 also looks good. And it says it has Watch OS5, so she should still be okay using it with her iPhone 6.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: November 27, 2019 06:38PM
pdq
wurm
Okay, one more question. In order to use it to see incoming texts/calls, I would have to get the +Cellular version, right?

I don't think so. I think if you get a call or text on your iPhone, and it's within BT range, it will tell you who's calling, and/or show you the text.

Could be wrong, since I don't have an Apple Watch, but this is the way it works with my wife's Fitbit (and she has an iPhone).

Apple series 3 does Bluetooth to the phone just like a some headphones/car stereos/etc - you can see who's calling and even send canned text replies from the watch.

watchOS 6 compatibility.
watchOS 6 requires iPhone 6s or later with iOS 13 or later, and one of the following Apple Watch models:
Probably true - my watch was able to format/restore with Watch OS 5
Posted by: pdq
Date: November 27, 2019 06:44PM
BTW, I second the comments about the good deals out there for the Series 4, which is pretty similar in functionality to the Series 5.
Posted by: Diana
Date: November 27, 2019 06:56PM
I have the 4, non-cell version. I have not updated to the latest OS. It requires at least the iPhone 6s; I do not pay for an additional line with the phone company as it is the no cell one. It will receive calls and text as long as it is in Bluetooth range with the phone. I have used it to find the phone, as there is a small icon that appears when the watch is out of range of the phone. I use it sometimes to respond to texts but I haven’t gone all Dick Tracy on it (although that might be fun) as I am not sure that it has much of a speaker. Music only works through headphones as it won’t play thru a speaker on the watch, but it will play play music using the phone. It has caught a fall or two: once when I tripped but caught myself before actually falling and once when it hit rather hard on a surface, but not on my wrist. Both times I stopped it from calling the emergency numbers. I don’t know if it can call emergency numbers if it is out of Bluetooth range of the phone.

I got my mom the cell version, as she sometimes doesn’t have her phone on her.That way, if she is walking the dog and takes a tumble it will catch the motion and call. I know that she has taken a call or two on it.

My watch usually uses about 40% of available battery (it’s usually about at 60% battery in the morning). I charge it in the morning while I am at breakfast and during my shower. It takes about an hour for it to fully charge. Mom states that she has to charge her watch every day (no surprise there) but I don’t know just how much daily battery life she gets. I do think she only has to charge it once a day; I tried to turn off the stuff that tends to drain the battery that she doesn’t need. She has updated to the newest, latest and “greatest” OS, so I cannot say for sure regarding this.

I am hard on watches; usually they get banged about and severely scratched. The watch has held up remarkably for me. I got the aluminum space gray, as it works well with most everything I wear. I also got the 44mm one, as I like larger more clunky type fashion accessories. Mom likes more dainty things, and she chose the smaller one. You can get a ton of stuff for it, from covers that change the outside color (such as black to gold or silver) to bands in more colors and configurations than imaginable.

From what you know about your wife’s preferences for jewelry and such you should be able to determine the size watch for her: larger if she likes bigger items, smaller if she likes smaller dainty stuff (if she is “tiny” then the larger watch may not look right). Check with your daughter on this as well. The color may not be a big issue, as it is relatively easy to change up. Durability is something to think about: I have never destroyed a watch, but I haven’t done them any favors, and mine has held up with a few light scratches.

If you want to see pictures, I’ll take some and try to figure out how to post them.

Diana
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 27, 2019 07:31PM
Unless your wife needs the EKG option, which started on the Series 4, the Series 3 is perfectly usable and significantly cheaper.

You do not need the cellular version unless she is sometimes without her phone (i.e. while running). The bluetooth connection will send all texts and calls to the watch as well. Not only can you see who's calling, you can answer the call on your watch. I use this feature in the shower or if I am driving our older truck. You can respond to texts with canned message, emojis or full voice to text capability.

The battery life on the 42mm Series 3 watch is good. I can go two days and sometimes three between charges. My wife has the smaller one and gets less battery life. She can't make it through a second day.

We discovered a new feature this week. My wife left her purse with phone at our son's house, 20 miles away. It took us two days to get it back. She had to go to work without her phone and was pleasantly surprised that she could still send and receive texts AND phone calls via wifi on the watch. That was a total bonus.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2019 07:32PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: November 27, 2019 09:44PM
Bands can be found very inexpensively on e-bay - wide variety of colors, styles and materials.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 28, 2019 07:32PM
4 owner here. I think the always-on feature of the 5 is killer.

Unless you are super price sensitive, I think the 5 is a better product.
Date: November 28, 2019 11:25PM
sekker
4 owner here. I think the always-on feature of the 5 is killer.

Unless you are super price sensitive, I think the 5 is a better product.

Lots of complaints that the battery on the 5 doesn't make it through most of one day.

That sucks. While rated for 18hrs, other Apple Watches can go much longer between charges.

Today, my 2 year old model-3 is only down 34% after 16hrs without a charge, even with a workout in there. (Had a scare when the battery dropped over 80% each of the first days after installing watchOS 6, but either multiple reboots or one of the updates got the battery life back up.) I expect it to be at about 55% remaining charge when I put it on the charger tomorrow to top off while I shower and get ready to go out.

I've gotten used to charging my watch every day, but that doesn't mean that I enjoy doing so. Having to charge it repeatedly throughout the day would drive me nuts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 255
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018