advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone have stories of Thanksgivings gone wrong?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: November 27, 2019 07:40PM
People didn’t get along? Political screaming matches? Do tell.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone have stories of Thanksgivings gone wrong?
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 27, 2019 07:54PM
A couple of decades ago, when we rotated amongst our sibling group of four and our mother, it was my turn to host Thanksgiving. I make a very tender turkey which is how I like it. My sister-in-law complemented me on it in front of my mother, even asking how I prepare it. Mom then says: I never make it that way. I say: Some of us don’t like our turkey all tough and dry. Mom never forgot. When she died a decade later her last raspy, very soft words to me were: I don’t like your turkey. Although she may have said: I don’t like you, turkey. I’m still unsure.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: November 27, 2019 07:54PM
I wasn’t present, but a friend of mine, a chef, had a small group for TH. As he took the bird out of the oven, he tilted the pan too much, spilling the grease into his shoe, causing 3rd degree burns. It was decades ago but I still cringe when I recall it.

Posted by: Diana
Date: November 27, 2019 10:12PM
The time that I cooked some more non-traditional food, and nobody ate much of it, really only enough to have said they tried it. Duck is apparently not well appreciated in my family. Anything with any spice is also not well received. Cook meats until they are completely and thoroughly done, even the prime rib roast, else suffer the exclamation of “its raw!” and then get the comment that it sure is tough to eat it. But yeah, everyone wants some! I had leftovers for several weeks.

Chicken (not turkey), ham, starchy stuff, veggies cooked until they are limp, and choose amongst this list: white potato (mashed potato and potato salad); corn; green beans (but not green bean casserole) with white potato sans skin, with bacon; sweet potato or yams; baked beans; maybe carrots. Salad is a side dish, not something you eat prior or after the main course. French dressing, or make something similar. Cranberry sauce is a something out of a can.

Yeah, my family isn’t very adventurous.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 28, 2019 05:39AM
We have friends who (over multiple Thanksgivings): 1. spilled turkey drippings into their oven, catching the oven on fire, 2. put a too-frozen turkey into a boiling vat of oil outside on their deck, the oil boiled out, melting the plastic deck boards and resulting in
mighty push to deposit the whole mess on the ground next to the deck, and 3. broke a thermometer off in the bird, depositing mercury inside.

We were with them during each of these events and in each case we ate something other than the planned turkey. I have no idea how many problems they had when we weren't around!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 28, 2019 07:22AM
Marinated a turkey in fruit juices for roasting, then a guest showed up with a deep fryer in tow. Sure, why not, never giving the sugar content of the marinade a thought.

The bird came out carbon black.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 28, 2019 09:23AM
Jeez, worst I've done is the first year after we were married I roasted the bird but forgot to take the giblets and neck out of the cavity.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 28, 2019 09:43AM
Our worst disaster was our first year living in the Sierra. The old mining boarding house we rented had an all electric kitchen. The power went out within the first hour of the morning cooking session. We had a bunch of family in town, as it was a 7 bedroom house, but did not know neighbors yet to borrow an oven.

We made a makeshift oven over the wood stove from cookie sheets, foil and metal duct tape and put the turkey there. We modified all other recipes to be stovetop recipes done on two camp stoves. Dinner ended up being delayed until about 7pm as the turkey was slow roasted.

It did give us plenty of time for sledding!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 94
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018