advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Are you sometimes shocked and appalled at other people's cooking setups?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 28, 2019 12:37PM
Glass cutting boards, $5 Walmart chef's knives, no real butter, Miracle Whip, barely-functional salt and pepper shakers, no workhorse skillets, etc.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Are you sometimes shocked and appalled at other people's cooking setups?
Posted by: Mactel
Date: November 28, 2019 01:01PM
Lots of x-mas gift ideas if you give them gifts.
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 28, 2019 01:09PM
No.
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 28, 2019 01:26PM
If it gets a meal on the table that they're happy with, and the guests arrive and enjoy the day, does it really matter?
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 28, 2019 01:30PM
GGD
If it gets a meal on the table that they're happy with, and the guests arrive and enjoy the day, does it really matter?

if the food is good, well prepared, safe, and house and kitchen are clean, and atmosphere is warm, no tobacco smoke, no excessive alcohol consumption, everyone has a designated driver, the planets are aligned perfectly, there is world peace and critical diseases have been eradicated, then no, it does not matter.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 28, 2019 01:33PM
Refrigerators stuff so full that they don't even know what is in it.
Stoves that have a half-inch of burnt whatever
No light except the sliding glass doors
More water comes out of the base of faucet then the spigot
Expiration dates from two years ago
The turkey defrosting in the hatchback

That and more is why I refuse to go to my sister-in-laws for anything related to cooking.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 28, 2019 02:58PM
I'm shocked how little some people cook period these days.
Right now we're on a no going out to eat kick. We're tired
of spending good money on subpar food and service in
restaurants these days.

Grateful11
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 28, 2019 03:03PM
Ombligo
Refrigerators stuff so full that they don't even know what is in it.
Stoves that have a half-inch of burnt whatever
No light except the sliding glass doors
More water comes out of the base of faucet then the spigot
Expiration dates from two years ago
The turkey defrosting in the hatchback

That and more is why I refuse to go to my sister-in-laws for anything related to cooking.

That sounds like the same situation with our SIL. I wouldn't step foot in their home to eat or anything else.
Just absolute filth.

Grateful11
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 28, 2019 07:21PM
I visited a relative in her new home. She has outdone herself with kitchen totally equipped with high end professional appliances, from stove to an incredible microwave and super refrigerators. Huge kitchen with granite island, vast counter space, and multiple outlets. Superb lighting and she's a wonderful cook. She's part of the premier cooking league in my family.
After dinner mint?

(Thought I'd remind you there is another end of the bell curve.)
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: November 28, 2019 08:41PM
I'll echo two things mentioned already above, and this is generally when I'm over at someone's house to co-cook a meal:

1. bad knives. Particularly, bad vegetable cutting knives and no sharp knives.

2. how many people don't know how to cook basic food. I find this especially true with the under 35 set. A 33-year old colleague recently figured out how much they spend on their cafe (coffee and quick sandwiches). No wonder he can't save money.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: davester
Date: November 28, 2019 09:42PM
tuqqer
I'll echo two things mentioned already above, and this is generally when I'm over at someone's house to co-cook a meal:

1. bad knives. Particularly, bad vegetable cutting knives and no sharp knives.

I'm totally with you there! Why can't people understand that you can't cook without having sharp kitchen knives. I have been to so many people's kitchens where the knives are so blunt and abused that they couldn't even cut melted butter.

FYI, I just sharpened all of our kitchen knives this morning...they are now all scary sharp. The sharpness test is...can I hold a single piece of paper in front of me in one hand and cut a sharp line down it with the knife in the other hand.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 28, 2019 09:44PM
.....what that show with Gordon Ramsey......disgusting.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 28, 2019 11:37PM
davester
FYI, I just sharpened all of our kitchen knives this morning...they are now all scary sharp. The sharpness test is...can I hold a single piece of paper in front of me in one hand and cut a sharp line down it with the knife in the other hand.

Could you work on my set next? I kind of know how to cook but life has been getting in the way of maintenance.

Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: November 29, 2019 04:14AM
Grateful11
Right now we're on a no going out to eat kick. We're tired
of spending good money on subpar food and service in
restaurants these days.

Ditto. Most of my so-so results are still way better than what I can get at most of the restaurants around here. Life has enough disappointments without paying for them.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 29, 2019 10:43AM
mattkime
davester

Could you work on my set next? I kind of know how to cook but life has been getting in the way of maintenance.

Sure. Stop on by.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018