advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Cannonball Insanity - Personal long trip records ?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 03, 2019 02:39PM
Poll
Fastest average speed on a trip over 5 hours ?
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
18 votes were received.
100mph + 0

0%
90 mph+ 4

22%
80 mph+ 6

33%
70 mph + 6

33%
M A V I C Speed, baby ! 2

11%

Cannonball record below made me think of this poll. Because many of us were/are rebels without a clue... Stories welcome...

My fastest was Cleveland to St. Louis in average 92 MPH in a turbocharged Saab, middle of the night, three guys, all very mellow... Honestly we had no idea how we got there that fast. College stupidity...

ed: Bangs Head.. Units...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 02:45PM by cbelt3.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Cannonball Insanity - Personal long trip records ?
Posted by: timg
Date: December 03, 2019 02:43PM
cbelt3
Cannonball record below made me think of this poll. Because many of us were/are rebels without a clue... Stories welcome...

My fastest was Cleveland to St. Louis in average 92 mpg in a turbocharged Saab, middle of the night, three guys, all very mellow... Honestly we had no idea how we got there that fast. College stupidity...

I'd kill for 92 MPG! that's some awesome fuel savings, but how FAST were you going??

ROTFL

Skill without imagination is craftsmanship. Imagination without skill is Modern Art.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 03, 2019 03:12PM
We do a ~5.5 hour trip with some regularity and a good trip averages over 70. 75 is our best average for about 5.25 hours for the trip.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 03, 2019 03:30PM
Many years ago a buddy and I drove San Diego to Philadelphia in under two days*; stopping only for food/gas/"pit stops".

*I know it's now listed as about a 39 hour trip, which is an average of 69 mph, but that's without any stops; really...RollingEyesSmiley5
Posted by: PizzaGod
Date: December 03, 2019 03:34PM
Wow.

60 mph when I'm towing my concession trailer, and 60 without.

I get where I'm going in plenty of time and this allows a margin of safety for people who don't seem to get that after 40 mph you're pretty much just aiming the missile.

Average jump between events, 500-600 miles, 1100 from Mobile to Ann Arbor, 1100 miles from Ann Arbor to Houston.
Posted by: steve...
Date: December 03, 2019 03:36PM
I checked 70+ but average speed (with bathroom, meal breaks, etc.) was probably more like 60+.

I like to stop and smell the roses.

Northern California Coast
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 03, 2019 03:43PM
My personal best is probably Harbor City, CA, to Imperial Beach, CA, in 75 minutes at an average 89 MPH. This was early on Thanksgiving morning a year or two ago, so no traffic to speak of.

It is what it is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 03:44PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: December 03, 2019 03:54PM
You lot over there have those long open roads which must help a lot.

The longest trip I took was many years ago with my wife and two daughters. We left our friend's house in Aalborg, Denmark with the idea of seeing how far we got before finding a hotel for the night as our booked EuroTunnel train wasn't until the next morning. Out of Denmark into Germany, through Germany and into The Netherlands. Had a short break and off into Belgium thinking we would look for a hotel once in France however it was getting late and every hotel we tried was full so kept going to the car/rail station at Calais. Told them we were several hours early but they said if you want to go now get back in the car and drive on. The 35 minute train trip in the car through the tunnel was the longest break I had and then we were in England after midnight but still 190 miles from home and still to get round London. My wife and the kids kept chatting loudly and singing making sure I stayed awake and we made it back. Grand total of 997 miles driving taking 19 hours and 54 minutes so an average of 50 mph even with the train and other breaks.

Always regret not doing those extra 3 miles to make it the round 1000 but I will never ever try it or anything close to it again. Great family story though and the kids still remember it thirty years later.

Paul

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 03, 2019 04:10PM
I have already heard some of his road trip stories. winking smiley

Driving solo, I have never kept the speed very high for more than 4 hours at a time, mostly because I never lived that far from college. I was in a friends car on one run through Montana before they set the speed limit, but it wasn't to get someplace by a certain time so the speeds only lasted as long as the lack of limits.

I keep wanting to do the Silver State Classic Challenge (~90 miles), but I haven't found a partner that I could tolerate for a week that is interested.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 03, 2019 05:07PM
Had to miss a storm... twice.

first leg: left Chico, CA @ 9 PM for Mission Viejo, CA -- lots of rain, so couldnt go super fast... got to parents house around 5 am, 8 hours. Next morning Hwy 5 over grapevine closed... only alternate route was down coast, 3+ hour detour. So beat the storm...

Second leg: Storm still coming, so in 30 minutes ate, gassed up, got back on road at 5:30 AM -- Headed to Flagstaff, AZ... was snowing by the time I reached Cajon pass on HWY 15 (towards Las Vegas). Big rigs stopped everywhere on the hill... went to the shoulder and followed some guy in a Jeep slowly to the top, slipping and sliding the whole way. One over the summit -- perfectly sunny.

Normaly a 7 hour drive, but the snowy summit added 2 hours. 9 Hours to get there... snowed all night once I got there.

nearly 17 hours straight. Took a short nap, partied all night. Ahh to be 25 again...

EDITT: In this car -- 1980 Honda civic wagon (wagon lover) :

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 08:38PM by jdc.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 03, 2019 05:08PM
714 miles in 10 hours any number of times - driving a tractor pulling an unloaded flatbed trailer (deadheading) from eastern Wyoming to suburbs of Minneapolis. No fuel stop, no rest area stop, running across 75 MPH Wyoming and South Dakota and 70 and 65 MPH Minnesota. It took longer going the other way loaded. Round trip was 22 hours including fuel stop and unloading. The truck could go 78 MPH. I made that trip 46 times one year albeit often much slower due to weather conditions.

One week in the ‘70’s after speed limits were dropped to 55, I drove 6400 miles in seven days in a truck. Never wanted to do that again.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 05:15PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: December 03, 2019 06:15PM
Actually 68.1 mph avg for 17 hour 1158 mile trip including stops. Three drivers.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 03, 2019 07:31PM
Reno to Salt Lake City in just over 6 hours plus two gas stops. We used to refer to those trips as "80 on 80" as my son frequently competed in skiing or practiced in Park City. At any speed greater than 80, you start worrying about losing the rooftop box full of ski gear.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 137
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018