advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's the fastest you've ever driven?
Posted by: DP
Date: December 03, 2019 04:49PM
If you were timed, that's OK. Indicated will be accepted too.

Back in '90, maybe, was heading out to Andover west of London on the M3 in a Ford Sierra V6 with (as they called it there) petrol injection. The boss said, let's see what she'll do and I had an indicated 125 mph showing. Boss has a picture of it somewhere...

And that was me driving on the wrong side of the car, on the wrong side of the road, with a manual trans I was shifting with the wrong hand!

Edit: Ford should've sold the whole Sierra line here, not just the Merkur which was only a turbo 4 banger...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 04:50PM by DP.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's the fastest you've ever driven?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 03, 2019 04:52PM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 03, 2019 04:58PM
[forums.macresource.com]

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 03, 2019 05:00PM
On the Autobahn in Germany - 120+ buried the needle so not sure of top speed
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 03, 2019 05:02PM
vicrock
120+ buried the needle so not sure of top speed

Me too. In the middle of the Utah desert, though, not the Autobahn.

It is what it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 03, 2019 05:23PM
about 105 a couple of times - I've never owned a car that could go 200MPH - @ 100-105 I began to lose the sense of safety. Really only because I wanted to say that I've driven 100mph. It was never more than a minute or two.

Been a passenger in nice cars going 125+ a few times
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 03, 2019 05:37PM
I hit 115 mph in a 1969 Pontiac Catalina 400 one time coming home from Andrews AFB to MI. That mark will not be broken by me. Ever.

Told my wife I wanted to be cremated.
She made me an appointment for Tuesday.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 03, 2019 05:40PM
105 mph, which feels like 200 mph in a Toyota Matrix...it took about 5 miles of straight roadway to build to that speed.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 03, 2019 05:52PM
145 at 5000rpm. Motor limited by valve springs to about 6500rpm. Car built to sustain 160 as long as the fuel lasts. Aerodynamics and tires are the issue. Now, if I swap rear gears, close to 200 according to computer calculations. We had the car in the wind tunnel at Western Washington University in the late '80s and determined that above 160 we REALLY needed that front chin spoiler.

The engines rotating assembly should spin past 7000 when running through the gears, but for a big block, that's crazy fast piston speed in feet per second without custom connecting rods. So I limited engine max rotation speed by valve spring tension to cause the power curve to max out about mid 6s to prevent potential engine damage. That engine and some of the parts are too rare to risk.

'71 Buick Stage 1 GSX 2 adults and a full tank of gas, so pushing 4600 pounds.

Now all the time the Speed Alert speedometer is buzzing at me as it maxes out at 120 mph. Not that you hear it that well. I am tracking down someone to rebuild the original 200 mph speedo so I can put it back in.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: December 03, 2019 06:16PM
140 mph on a Yamaha FZR600. I slowed down before I realized I had one more gear to use.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: Bernie
Date: December 03, 2019 06:17PM
I see I answered in the previous post. I sold that Trans Am this year to a Nephew.

Staunton, Virginia
Date: December 03, 2019 06:19PM
155 (indicated) on my Kawasaki 900 Ninja in Montana (or was it Wyoming) on a back road with no houses or traffic, just miles of nothing. Next fastest was 135 on a Yamaha FJR1300. I was having fun with a newer Camaro. Still had more to go but the car couldn't keep up so I backed off on the throttle.

I've seen 100+ on many, many motorcycle journeys throughout the US. Once you slow down to 60 it feels like a jogging pace.

D & C
Posted by: CW2V
Date: December 03, 2019 06:23PM
126+ on a crappy freeway. Not too many smooth and long stretches of roads out here. Thing is, I don't really look at the speedo at that speed.

CW2V
Posted by: Cary
Date: December 03, 2019 06:30PM
145 in a Formula Ford at Pocono Motor Speedway. Highways? A couple of times at 115 - 120 on deserted roads.

I never found ultimate speed that interesting. (Maybe I wasn't going fast enough...) Always found max speed going around winding curves (either on a track or back roads) much more interesting.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: December 03, 2019 06:37PM
about 160 in a 2016 Cadillac ATS-V, which I still have but lear is up Friday. I already bought a 2017 ATS-V. Published top speed is 189mph.

over 185 on a GSXR 1000, still have that bike also.

My mom got nervous at 119 mph in a 2018 BMW X3M that my wife drives.
Posted by: srf1957
Date: December 03, 2019 06:49PM
Around 150 in a 79 Rx-7 racing a model A that topped out at 130 . He could of went faster but shook all over the road .
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 03, 2019 06:55PM
130mph in a big@$$ Ford at govt. driver training.
Back in early '70s during my Army days.

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: davester
Date: December 03, 2019 07:03PM
54 mph...on my vintage bicycle!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 03, 2019 07:13PM
115 in a POS rental out in west Texas. She was ready to fly apart.
A couple of years ago, our first time on the TX130 Toll Road, my wife dozed off. My car was kinda shaking and she woke up. How fast are you going?

<Take my foot off the gas and count 5 seconds>

97!

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 03, 2019 08:07PM
I bought a ratty Austin Healey 3000 because I knew the guy who had built the engine. Topped out on the way to Sacramento on I80 at 135 in overdrive.
I rode in a friend’s ‘64 Malibu with a fresh blueprinted 327 with 3.08 gears He hit somewhere around 110 in 3rd gear and 140 in 4th, according to the tach.

Edit: Damn, those were fun days!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2019 08:08PM by lost in space.
Posted by: DP
Date: December 03, 2019 08:37PM
Speedy
[forums.macresource.com]

There's some names from the past there....

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: davec
Date: December 03, 2019 08:37PM
I purchased new a 1992 Nissan Sentra that had a 4 cylinder engine and manual tranny. After owning it about 6 months I wanted to see how fast it could go. On a flat road, with the wind at my back, I topped out at just over 110 for all of 30 seconds. I brought it down after realizing that both I, and the car, were probably too close to death. Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 03, 2019 08:54PM
....I drove all night......to get to you.....is that alright.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: archipirata
Date: December 03, 2019 09:14PM
120 in a supercharged Mini Cooper S, and it still had a lot of power left, I’m confident it could max out the 150 on the speedo but I chickened out.

Athens, OH
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: December 03, 2019 09:32PM
NewtonMP2100
....I drove all night......to get to you.....is that alright.....????

Orbison rules!!...

But I digress. I hit 85 often. With a song like that playing, I’ve caught myself doing 100, but as soon as I realize...
Always with the seatbelt on, of course.

• back to confinement

Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 03, 2019 09:43PM
About 135 in a turbo Fiat Spyder ( based on RPM , gear ratio, tire size... it had that stupid 85mph speedo). Fastest dude on the road, listening to Don Henley...In a hurry to see my girlfriend ( now wife)... when ... WOOSH

I was passed by a black Countach like I was standing still. And like that he was gone.

And I just slowed back down to 70 or so. Because I was not the fastest dude on the road....
Posted by: Carm
Date: December 04, 2019 01:01AM
95+ driving on I5 north.
Slowest was 20- 25 from Worden, OR to Bend, OR in the winter with Snow Chains, took more than 7 hours.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: December 04, 2019 08:20AM
I once did the Kessel Run in 13 parsecs. Not the fastest ever, but pretty good as far as I’m concerned.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 04, 2019 09:39AM
ftw smiley
BernDog
I once did the Kessel Run in 13 parsecs. Not the fastest ever, but pretty good as far as I’m concerned.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: December 04, 2019 10:15AM
I was clocked by an RX7. They were nice cars in their day.

I can do 55 on a Bicycle in town. Sleigh riding is pretty good here too.

This is an automatic 403 Oldsmobile because it says 6.6 Liter on the cowl. Mine was a 4 speed 400 big block and said T/A 6.6

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 04, 2019 10:30AM
Hard to say, as my 78' Suzuki GS750E speedometer topped out at 140mph and I had that pegged several times.

Young and dumb, and all that.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 04, 2019 10:31AM
Bernie
I was clocked by an RX7. They were nice cars in their day.

I can do 55 on a Bicycle in town. Sleigh riding is pretty good here too.

This is an automatic 403 Oldsmobile because it says 6.6 Liter on the cowl. Mine was a 4 speed 400 big block and said T/A 6.6

I didn't know of that distinction. which was the preferred option?

I was never a huge fan of the styling, but I *love* those wheels.
Date: December 04, 2019 01:35PM
Back in '77 Pontiac squirreled away some of the big blocks knowing a Tenth Anniversary year was around the corner.

When that year came around the popularity of the Trans Am had grown to the point that they wanted to build more Tenth Anniversary Editions. Only 1,871 of the 7,500 Tenth Anniversary Editions were built with the W72 Pontiac 400 engine

So they mades all the big blocks four speeds and the small blocks automatic. The small block autos had a higher top speed. The 4 speed big block with a seasoned driver would leave the small block behind and continue to lead the way until it topped out.

Think about it. You are doing 100 miles and hour and still seeing tail lights. You going to push your luck or fold'em.

Good times!

Barn Finds SEP 29, 2019 article with link to Hemmings listing.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 04, 2019 04:58PM
Probably didn't exceed 90 mph, but it sure felt extremely fast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 265
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018