advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any way to keep white oak or southern yellow pine floor built over crawl space from cupping?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 04, 2019 05:51PM
Encapsulating the crawl space is not doable. The flooring can be bought within driving distance for much less than any other type of floor. It would be laid on top of 15 or 30# roofing felt on top of a 1x6 center match diagonal subfloor. I could put plywood under the felt if necessary. There is about 500 square feet to cover. Pine or oak or hickory is my first choice by far, then pre-finished oak. After that is luxury vinyl on top of plywood. But my main question now is how to keep the real wood from warping.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2019 08:05PM by Dennis S.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any way to keep white oak or southern yellow line floor built over crawl space from cupping?
Posted by: MikeF
Date: December 04, 2019 06:36PM
If you have so much moisture in the crawl space to warp the floor, that is the real issue. Normal wood flooring shouldn't be that susceptible to slight moisture.
Re: Any way to keep white oak or southern yellow line floor built over crawl space from cupping?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 04, 2019 07:58PM
I would think OSB would be more stable in a more humid environment than plywood, unless it was marine plywood, and that stuff is expensive for a subfloor.

I know a guy who made 2 rifle stocks from OSB laminated into 3 layers, then shaped and finished. Really cool look when done in boiled linseed oil.
Date: December 04, 2019 08:03PM
Would the OSB help keep the oak or pine dryer?
Re: Any way to keep white oak or southern yellow pine floor built over crawl space from cupping?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 04, 2019 08:09PM
.....#metoo......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Re: Any way to keep white oak or southern yellow pine floor built over crawl space from cupping?
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 04, 2019 08:25PM
We put Southern Yellow Pine in our old house over felt and plywood, over an open crawl space. We had no problem with boards cupping over time (10 years or so before we sold). Our new house came with engineered cherry floors and we long for our old pine floor.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: davester
Date: December 04, 2019 08:29PM
I agree with MikeF. The first job is to eliminate the cause of moisture in the crawlspace. After that, you could put a vapor barrier down on the bottom of the crawlspace. Moisture down there is asking for trouble. Also, do you have a sufficient number of vents around the crawlspace?

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2019 08:30PM by davester.
Date: December 04, 2019 08:36PM
Markintosh
We put Southern Yellow Pine in our old house over felt and plywood, over an open crawl space. We had no problem with boards cupping over time (10 years or so before we sold). Our new house came with engineered cherry floors and we long for our old pine floor.

That sounds promising. Was it old pine or new? What did you coat them with? How wide were they?

Pine is cheap enough that with 500 square feet, if they cup bad I'll just pull them up and go with something else.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 04, 2019 08:55PM
Dennis S
Markintosh

That sounds promising. Was it old pine or new? What did you coat them with? How wide were they?

Pine is cheap enough that with 500 square feet, if they cup bad I'll just pull them up and go with something else.

New pine. We let it season in the house for about 10 days before installation. We used 1x6 T&G boards and and used a Bona water soluble polyurethane finish. Our attitude was the same, cheap enough to replace as we did all of the work ourselves.

I do agree with above that crawl space ventilation and vapor barrier can be important.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Date: December 04, 2019 09:00PM
davester
I agree with MikeF. The first job is to eliminate the cause of moisture in the crawlspace. After that, you could put a vapor barrier down on the bottom of the crawlspace. Moisture down there is asking for trouble. Also, do you have a sufficient number of vents around the crawlspace?

There are several vents. I wonder if a vapor barrier only under the 500 square feet of flooring would be adequate. That would be manageable; the whole house would be pretty hard.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 04, 2019 09:17PM
Dennis S
Would the OSB help keep the oak or pine dryer?

more an issue of giving whatever flooring above it a smooth and flat sub-floor to rest on.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 05, 2019 03:51AM
Letting it acclimate in your house does help with moisture content, but true seasoning to reduce dimensional changes from moisture could take a year. It would be more stable, but would still cup with the bottom more moist than the top, or vice versa If the inside of your house has very low humidity, that would make things worse.

Forcing it flat would likely cause splitting because it needs to move with temp and humidity changes. Tongue and groove in traditional flooring allows that movemen

A vapor barrier just below your oak mght be the ticket. My understanding is that it needs to be on the warm side according to the contractor who worked on my wood shop. In my case, it went just under the finished flooring. If it had gone say under the subfloor, there could have been condensation on the top surface of the VB between the subfloor and the joists, with the water like sweat on a glass of ice water. My climate is dry, so if by some odd circumstance it got hot and humid outside and my shop was 40 deg inside, I’dhave a problem.

I would at least talk to a floorinf contractor.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2019 03:55AM by lost in space.
Posted by: Michael
Date: December 05, 2019 05:35AM
You could prefinish the backsides of the pine with a couple of coats of poly before installation. That would dramatically reduce moisture migration into the wood.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 124
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018