advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OK, about that new iPad commercial
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 04, 2019 06:49PM
The ad was linked below, in another thread, but I saw it over TDay, and it's been gnawing at me. The "why don't you girls just shut up and use the iPad" theme is one aspect that bothers me about it, but the main theme about the grandfather and the girls where they relate only through the iPad is what ultimately gets to me. The only way that they related to their grandfather is through this device, which they are seen with nearly constantly. I get it, Apple is trying to sell them, but the irony is that a lot of tech folks are being very parsimonious about how their kids use devices in the younger years. But, when you've got to sell to parents who want to quiet their kids, this is a good use!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OK, about that new iPad commercial
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 04, 2019 07:08PM
In my day, we talked to our children!

If they didn't behave, we slapped the snot outta them!

And times change.

A couple of rambunctious kids running around, they probably went out and played on grandpa's lawn!

We can infer, if we choose, to assume the only bridge between the girls and other family was through tech.

Or not.

The girl misses grandma. I choose to infer it's not because nan used to charge her iPad for her.

I don't do the little icons, but if I did, I'd want an 'OK, Boomer'.

I'm going to get 'Boomer' put on my T-shirt.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: December 04, 2019 07:53PM
I was taken aback at first by the "go amuse your self with the electronics - but the commercial as whole is real tear jerker - makes me tear up every time!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 04, 2019 08:20PM
It all comes back to parenting, teaching and modeling appropriate behaviors. Putting technology into young hands at the right time and modeling what you can do with it can result in great behaviors.

I found this to be very true when teaching with iPads. As long as I spent plenty of time letting kids explore what they could create on an iPad with iMovie, iPhoto, Pixelmator, Keynote, etc - when it came time to produce something, kids spent very little time watching Youtube videos or attempting to play games. They didn't want to waste time on dumb stuff when they could create, publish and share.

The other 90% of teachers in my school that chose Chromebooks had the opposite experience...

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: datbeme
Date: December 04, 2019 11:13PM
It was disturbing when they constantly shoved the devices in the kids' faces, but it was quite touching if you were able to make it all the way through.

"Linked below in another thread" was one giant waste of time. Took me 10-15 min to find the ad, so hopefully this will help others stumbling across this:

[www.theverge.com]
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: December 05, 2019 12:35AM
mrbigstuff
The "why don't you girls just shut up and use the iPad" theme is one aspect that bothers me about it…The only way that they related to their grandfather is through this device

Not quite. The only way they could get to the grieving grandfather was by showing him that they remember too and that the family is a loving unit.

The ad isn't about the iPad; it's about what the iPad facilitates.
Date: December 05, 2019 01:28AM
Here's a link to the Apple commercial on YouTube.

[www.youtube.com]

I find it odd that people want to turn this into Examples of Bad Parenting, and see the few times the iPad is used to distract the children as indicative of a lifestyle of poor choices on the parents' part.

It's easy to be offended if you want to be.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Posted by: Sam3
Date: December 05, 2019 06:14AM
For me what stands out is that the parents want to shut the kids up by giving them an iPad loaded with movies to watch, but the two daughters would rather create with the iPad, rather than consume.

I understand the "bad parenting" aspect of this video, I see it done all the time and it really bothers me, but I appreciate also that the kids have been raised to want to do something with the technology. Somewhere along a Markintosh was in their lives, one who taught them that this technology was fun to use to create stuff.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 05, 2019 08:13AM
mrbigstuff
I get it, Apple is trying to sell them

That's pretty much it.
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 05, 2019 09:02AM
The ad is turning the iPad as a pacifier and babysitter into a device for creativity. They show scenes of parental involvement and interactions. I have worked with situations where iPads and iPhones are the sole babysitter and the parents have little interaction with their children. Many times the parents are glued to consuming entertainment as well. The ad wants you to think the kids are up to nothing but used an ipad’s ability to create content meaningful for the family, I think it takes a bit long to get to the point though.

Date: December 05, 2019 10:25AM
I think it takes a bit long to get to the point though.

This is the extended version.

But you are spot on regarding all your other points.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 119
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018