advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
smart home connected garage door openers should allow control over their light
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 05, 2019 10:21AM
...then again, I want this feature because I'm entering my garage via a side door and holding a bike. Still, kind of surprises me that this has been overlooked.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: smart home connected garage door openers should allow control over their light
Posted by: pinion
Date: December 05, 2019 10:25AM
Hmm, my lights automatically come on when I open the garage or trip the..... OH.. I see what you're saying. You could always hit open and then close it right away?

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Re: smart home connected garage door openers should allow control over their light
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 05, 2019 10:32AM
Mine have motion sensors that turn the lights on.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 05, 2019 11:13AM
Got anything else there that's "smart home?" Just setup the regular garage lights on that instead.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 05, 2019 11:18AM
Got anything else there that's "smart home?" Just setup the regular garage lights on that instead.

That should be easy enough.

Or get a Wyze smart lock when it comes out and a Wyze smart bulb.

This would make getting a bike through the side door a lot more convenient.

Or just the smart bulb, if you're an animal.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: December 05, 2019 11:25AM
mattkime
...then again, I want this feature because I'm entering my garage via a side door and holding a bike. Still, kind of surprises me that this has been overlooked.

Maybe you could wire up the same type of motion sensor on the side door that goes across the garage door.

---“What you permit, you promote. What you allow, you encourage. What you condone, you own.”
Date: December 05, 2019 11:29AM
There's a light socket right next to the garage door opener with a burnt out bulb. I'll put a new bulb in and set up some sort of motion control. To smart or not to smart, that is the question.

Date: December 05, 2019 11:32AM
pinion
mattkime

Maybe you could wire up the same type of motion sensor on the side door that goes across the garage door.

Such as an extra set of sensors and wire them into the existing ones. I’ve never heard of this and it may not work or blow up your opener motor’s computer brain.
Date: December 05, 2019 11:33AM
mattkime
There's a light socket right next to the garage door opener with a burnt out bulb. I'll put a new bulb in and set up some sort of motion control. To smart or not to smart, that is the question.

There you go. Single purpose, no app and network integration needed. Cheap motion sensor light sockets should be available.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: December 05, 2019 11:38AM
It hasn’t been overlooked - you either have a low price opener or an older model. All of mine have motion sensors built into both the openers’s keypads and into the motor unit themselves. Of course, replacing an opener to gain that sort of capability isn’t necessary. A lot of the suggestions in this thread will get the job done for a lot less.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 05, 2019 12:14PM

'Open the garage bay doors, Alexa.'
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: December 05, 2019 12:45PM
Motion sense bulb. Cannot work if covered.
[smile.amazon.com]
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 05, 2019 12:54PM
A Wyzs Sense ($6) and Wyze Bulb ($5) might do the trick.

[wyze.com]

FYI, I seem to have some trouble navigating their site via both Safari and Firefox.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: December 05, 2019 11:49PM
Ken Sp.
[smile.amazon.com]

I’m curious if anyone has experience with these. I have a couple spots in mind.

Date: December 06, 2019 09:59AM
mattkime
Ken Sp.
[smile.amazon.com]

I’m curious if anyone has experience with these. I have a couple spots in mind.

I have the wyze sense but I haven't put it to good use yet. Maybe I'll hook it up somewhere else and play with it with my hue bulbs or smart plugs. I don't have a wyze bulb but I assume the process is pretty similar.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 166
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020