advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Facebook Marketplace?
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 06, 2019 07:48PM
I don't have Facebook. My friends buy things on Facebook Marketplace, usually from private sellers. Seems like it replaced CraigsList and eBay, at least for them. They do not sell though.

Anyway, if you want to sell something, do you pay a fee? Have you used FB Marketplace, and how was your experience?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Facebook Marketplace?
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 06, 2019 07:55PM
I wouldn't say it's replaced Craiglist or eBay, but is just another option (along with all the app based sites like OfferUp, LetGo, Mercari, etc).

I'm rarely on FaceBook, and the search options were horrible when I tried it, so I haven't looked at Marketplace much.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 06, 2019 08:55PM
I live in a mid-size southern U.S. town (Little Rock, Arkansas). And let me tell you something....FB Marketplace is the shitznit. I started using it about a year ago almost entirely as a seller. OfferUp and letgo are completely useless. Craigslist is better than them, but still pretty bad. Scale of 1 to 10, the first two are a zero, CL is a 1, and FB Marketplace an 8. But in my experience only certain things sell well on FB. And you will always have to ask a higher price than you want, because everyone expects to bargain.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 06, 2019 09:04PM
When I was selling my house, my realtor took pictures of "stuff" that had value but, had not sold at yard sales and, put said pictures on Facebook Market Place. Most things she posted sold quickly and, at the price I was asking (which were good deals). Not being a FB user, I had no idea this resource existed.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: December 06, 2019 09:43PM
It is very regional what people use. It varies from city to city within the same state.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 06, 2019 10:06PM
Before Marketplace people would create local For Sale groups on FB. They still exist if you want to buy/sell hyper-locally. In metro areas it makes little sense but out here in the hinterlands local groups can be a resource.

I live between two metro areas but FB shows me that plus what's in between. For something like craigslist the seller would have had to pick one or the other or else listed it twice etc.

What Marketplace does is show items regionally/automatically based on what town you told FB you live in. That being said, their algorithms rule everything, so things appear/reappear based on what you've clicked on previously and searched for. Frankly, it's about as smart as targeted selling can currently be.

If you want to steer the ship in another direction just start searching for other things and they'll show up on their own. Of course, regular searching for specific things works too.

If hunting for specific things semi regularly it pays to belong to several platforms including all of that plus things like LetGo, OfferUp and of course your favorite forums! smiling smiley
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 06, 2019 10:32PM
Ive used it several times for buying and selling household stuff and ski gear. It's a bit better than CL because you have a little bit of info to vet buyers or sellers.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: December 07, 2019 08:15AM
I use it for selling and buying locally. It's easy to use and there are no fees.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: ArtP
Date: December 07, 2019 06:38PM
I've bought once on there - no problems. I scan occasionally for items that pop up in my feed.

Thing that makes eBay great is the traffic or amount of users. Facebook Marketplace has a built in potential of a massive amount of users.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018