advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I haven't skied for 30 years
Posted by: Drew
Date: December 07, 2019 01:41AM
Learned to ski in early '70s, when freestyle was new and crazy. Skied every weekend in the winter and skipped school more than once to hit the slopes. In the '80s took a week-long vacation every year to a cool resort. In other words, I skied a lot and was able to ski any slope. Loved the moguls.

Then we moved overseas and, unbelievably, never skied again. Now, we're thinking about a couple of days skiing at a resort in Hokkaido. In my mind, I'm still in my 30s and want to attack the slopes and ski all day long. Then, reality sets in when I put on my shoes. :-)

I don't have any equipment and don't know if the stuff is vastly different from my good old days. Has skiing changed much? Equipment still basically the same? Rather surprised at how excited I'm feeling about this possible trip.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I haven't skied for 30 years
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: December 07, 2019 05:50AM
I haven't skied, snowmobiled, water-skied, fished, or camped out in 28 years. Coincidentally, I've been married for 28 years sad smiley
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: December 07, 2019 06:20AM
The skis have changed significantly. It’s easier to turn and they go much faster. Last time I went, I went with shorter skis so as to not go too fast, still went fast though.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 07, 2019 07:51AM
depending on your age and fitness level, things are very different.

Went last year and worked too hard, my back is still in recovery. My legs took a couple months. I'm 10% overweight, but my main exercise is walking 15 to 30 miles a week. Not enough core and back work, which I'm working on now.

Before that trip, I'd last been, to the same mountain with the same conditions, fitness & weight, 2 years before. I had zero post ski issues. Zero.

Before that trip I hasn't been in a decade. The skis had changed as had the boots. I used my old boots and the shattered after day 1. But I had no issues and there was a certain amount of dwink involved.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 07, 2019 07:53AM
Bunny slope.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 07, 2019 08:14AM
A few tears back, after 10+ years of not skiing, I got back on the slopes. I signed up for a beginner’s package which included a lift ticket, equipment rental and a group lesson. I was pleasantly surprised that my legs “remembered” how to ski. After the lesson, I continued skiing the green and blue trails and, thoroughly (and safely) enjoyed myself. Consider doing what I did and just ease into it. If you’re not stretching now, it would be good to start!
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 07, 2019 09:04AM
My name is Mark and I admit to being a ski bum. Most seasons I ski 120 to 150 days. Ski gear has changed for the better. In general it's more comfortable, more adaptable and easier to use.

If you're just going to rent gear, you'll find that most rental gear is pretty straight forward and probably not all that different that the last time you skied. If you have a chance to rent or demo higher level performance gear, you might find the extra money worth while.

Boots: You want your boots to be snug but they don't need to be uncomfortable. Never wear more than one pair of socks. If you're buying, try different brands as they can be radically different. My feet are wide and I used to compensate with larger size boots. Now that I discovered a boot with a wider last, I have sized down from 30.0 to 29.5 and now to 28.5. This gives me much better control with zero foot pain.

Skis: A generous width can really make things much more fun. A casual skier will be happy in just about all conditions with 95-100mm underfoot in width. Typical rental skis are 80-85mm. In the 70's and 80's your skis were probably more like 75mm. Many new skis offer a rockered tip (and tail). This effectively reduces your edge length and makes it easier to initiate turns. I would recommend that.

Note on skis and bindings: Alpine Touring or AT equipment is all the rage right now. It allows you to lift your heel while hiking up the mountain. If you're just resort skiing, it's not worth the extra money and I think dubious in safety compared to standard alpine setups.

Helmet: Absolutely!

Goggles: Good quality is a must. I am a big fan of the Smith I/O series with the "everyday" lens

Hope this helps you or some other forumite!

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 09:06AM by Markintosh.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 07, 2019 09:51AM
I haven't skied for over 20 years, but my friends go pretty often and I often hang with them while they do their pre-season shopping.

I haven't observed much in the way of changes to the hardware, but the clothes have changed. A ski jacket used to be thick and heavy and new materials allow them to be much thinner and lighter. Base-layers have changed from cotton long-johns to breathable polyester. And the price for all of it has skyrocketed.

Posted by: Schpark
Date: December 07, 2019 10:14AM
Turning on the new skiis is different then the old style and I went through the learning curve a while back as I had the same experience as Drew. Can read some articles but the skiis do most of the turning due to the larger sidecut. Angle the edge to the snow and it will carve the arc. Doesn't require as much weighting and unweighting the skiis or skidding.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 10:15AM by Schpark.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 07, 2019 11:03AM
Fairly regular, advanced intermediate, ski most types of terrain person here.

The skiing is the same, only with shorter, more sidecut, much easier to turn skis. Plus, everyone wears helmets now. Another big difference is that most runs are heavily groomed these days, with far less challenging terrain, mogul runs, etc. Some folks think that's great though I find it a bit boring. It does make skiing much less challenging though.

However, you're probably not the same. What kind of shape are you in? Unless you are a strong cyclist or runner, you're likely going to have that old "my quads are on fire!" feeling after a couple of hours. Also, remember the first time you fell and couldn't get back up. Expect some repeats.

If you're not already doing it, get out on the road and ride or run. Also, major stretching and flexibility exercises.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 11:06AM by davester.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: December 07, 2019 11:07AM
I'd suggest a workout routine that includes lunges, squats and some other movements that will work your legs. And doing that a few times a week for at least a few weeks before you go. You'll have more fun and be less prone to injury.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: December 07, 2019 11:17AM
Speedy
Bunny slope.

AND taking a refresher lesson to get the feel of the equipment isn’t a bad idea either. Tell them your past skiing level and ANY instructor worth their salt will tailor the lesson to your needs.

I usually take a lesson each season to tune up and correct any bad form I’m doing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 11:26AM by Lizabeth.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 07, 2019 12:28PM
It's been pretty well covered so far.

If you can run 3 miles in 30 minutes and do something to strengthen your core like situps and/or burpees at least 2x per week, you should be okay. Anything short of that and the chances increase significantly that you might get very sore muscles. If you are not in shape at all, get half-day tickets for the first five days. Start with a personal hard limit of an hour and add 15-20 minutes per day.

Yes, skis are several inches shorter and rounder to go as fast as you used to. Boots are lighter and have more adjustments. Helmets to protect from crashing into a tree or other skiers are a good idea even if a resort doesn't require them.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 07, 2019 02:08PM
Markintosh
My name is Mark and I admit to being a ski bum. Most seasons I ski 120 to 150 days.

My record was 138 days in 1990 -- all at Heavenly. Helped that I lived there...

Sadly in '91 my car was stolen... a sweet mazda 626 glx wagon. with nearly everything I owned in it. 2 sets of Atomics, 2 pairs of Langes, extra bindings, poles, gloves, etc... plus all my cycling gear. Couple of pair of Sidi Dominators, couple of pairs of wool leggings and sleeves and 2 helmets. And tons of other stuff. Boots, camera, about 100 '80s alt CDs/tapes, .etc.

They drove the car 20 miles and then abandoned it in a super sketchy hood. Guess they just needed a ride. All of the stuff was useless to them. No one fits into size 43 shoes. But all gone. No idea if they just dumped it or what. I searched some dumpsters nearby, never found a thing.

Never really got back into either after. So much scrimping and saving and bartering to get what I had... just couldnt buy it all back.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 03:12PM by jdc.
Posted by: Drew
Date: December 07, 2019 04:59PM
Thanks all! Good stuff. But, a helmet? Are you serious? Regular folks wear a helmet?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 07, 2019 06:16PM
Drew
Thanks all! Good stuff. But, a helmet? Are you serious? Regular folks wear a helmet?

They do. It's not just for 'boarders anymore.

Posted by: Markintosh
Date: December 07, 2019 06:17PM
Drew

Yes, a helmet.

Two responses to above:

• Shaped skis were a big thing in the 90's, but not so much any more besides slalom race skis. Modern skis will have less sidecut and use a rockered tip to initiate a turn. That means that instead of just the first 3 inches of the ski turned up, the next foot of the ski will have a slight upturn, like a rocking chair. As soon as you put the skis on edge, this rockered section will initiate the turn. The added benefit of this is that you are much less likely to catch those front edges and cross your tips.

• Skiing is like riding a bike. You don't forget. Choose a day with nice weather, start on easy slopes and progress to more difficult ones as your body remembers what to do. If you were skiing the whole mountain, including moguls, in the past, it will come back quickly. Lessons are expensive in terms of money and time. Keep your hands forward, look three turns ahead and have fun.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 06:17PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 07, 2019 06:24PM
Tell us which hospital to send the cards to.
Date: December 07, 2019 06:45PM
Sarcany
Drew

They do. It's not just for 'boarders anymore.

Yes. I've smacked my head against the ice once since getting a helmet. It didn't hurt anywhere near as bad

Posted by: jdc
Date: December 07, 2019 07:10PM
Drew

Pretty sure its mandatory everywhere now days.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 07, 2019 11:11PM
jdc
Drew

Seriously? I've never been to a ski resort that mandated helmet use.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 08, 2019 12:28AM
Twenty five years out of downhill for me, but I'm going to try this year as I want to keep up with my kids (well, at least makethe effort,doubtful that I'll be able to keep up).
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 08, 2019 07:35AM
Rent as much equipment as possible. Even rent pants, jacket, gloves and goggles if possible.

Some newbies don't even get past the flat, free lesson area. Some kids are perfectly happy with just hanging out at the flat, lesson area. And don't even want to progress to the bunny slopes. Save on lift ticket money. Spend it on tubing instead smiling smiley
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 08, 2019 08:34AM
I think good ski pants and outer wear are a must.

Don’t push yourself too hard, learn to listen to your current body and not the older ski addict in your memory.

Remember you can have fun on a long beginner slope too.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 08, 2019 08:37AM
sekker
Don’t push yourself too hard, learn to listen to your current body and not the older ski addict in your memory.

where the firetruck were you when I went last year?

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: December 08, 2019 10:22PM
davester
jdc
Drew

Seriously? I've never been to a ski resort that mandated helmet use.

I don't think they're mandatory for adults anywhere.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 116
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018