Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
commit a crime, change your DNA
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 07, 2019 06:17PM
When a DNA Test Says You’re a Younger Man, Who Lives 5,000 Miles Away

After a bone marrow transplant, a man with leukemia found that his donor’s DNA traveled to unexpected parts of his body. A crime lab is now studying the case.

[www.nytimes.com]

Three months after his bone marrow transplant, Chris Long of Reno, Nev., learned that the DNA in his blood had changed. It had all been replaced by the DNA of his donor, a German man he had exchanged just a handful of messages with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2019 06:19PM by space-time.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: commit a crime, change your DNA
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 07, 2019 07:20PM
That's really interesting and leads to a whole lot of questions. What would have happened if he had gotten a marrow transfusion from a woman, would her DNA showed up the same way?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 07, 2019 08:13PM
But four years after his lifesaving procedure, it was not only Mr. Long’s blood that was affected. Swabs of his lips and cheeks contained his DNA — but also that of his donor. Even more surprising to Mr. Long and other colleagues at the crime lab, all of the DNA in his semen belonged to his donor. “I thought that it was pretty incredible that I can disappear and someone else can appear,” he said.

Paul F, this is how you can finally procreate. You chances of having sex are still zero, but you can now donate bone marrow.

smiley-laughing001
Date: December 07, 2019 08:35PM
Filliam H. Muffman
That's really interesting and leads to a whole lot of questions. What would have happened if he had gotten a marrow transfusion from a woman, would her DNA showed up the same way?

He added that patients also sometimes ask him what it means for a man to have a woman’s chromosomes in their bloodstream or vice versa. “It doesn’t matter,” he said.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 07, 2019 08:43PM
space-time
But four years after his lifesaving procedure, it was not only Mr. Long’s blood that was affected. Swabs of his lips and cheeks contained his DNA — but also that of his donor. Even more surprising to Mr. Long and other colleagues at the crime lab, all of the DNA in his semen belonged to his donor. “I thought that it was pretty incredible that I can disappear and someone else can appear,” he said.

Paul F, this is how you can finally procreate. You chances of having sex are still zero, but you can now donate bone marrow.

smiley-laughing001

Oof. That's a little harsh, isn't it?
Date: December 07, 2019 08:57PM
mrbigstuff
space-time

smiley-laughing001

Oof. That's a little harsh, isn't it?

I know he has a sense of humor, otherwise I wuoldn't have done it. smiling smiley
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: December 07, 2019 11:45PM
There is a vague sense that if sex involves donating bone marrow something has gone either very wrong or very right.

Todd's confused-humerus keyboard
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 08, 2019 06:31AM
I saw a TV show about this very thing quite some time ago.

It might have been Sherlock, I don't remember.

But it sounded like really creative script writing.

I guess not, or the writer is as surprised as I am.

LOL

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Wags
Date: December 08, 2019 11:20AM
CRISPR-Cas9. Turn yourself into a chimera.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 08, 2019 12:40PM
space-time
Filliam H. Muffman

He added that patients also sometimes ask him what it means for a man to have a woman’s chromosomes in their bloodstream or vice versa. “It doesn’t matter,” he said.

I think it matters in his gametes.

Posted by: August West
Date: December 08, 2019 05:44PM

There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: Janit
Date: December 08, 2019 09:19PM
Sarcany
space-time
Filliam H. Muffman

According to the article, the recipient had had a vasectomy some years before the procedure. Therefore, there would NOT have been any sperm or germ cells in the semen, only somatic cells. The chimerism in the semen does not indicate that a recipient could go on to have children fathered by the donor. Although it indicates that the progeny of bone marrow stem cells can show up in all sorts of locations in the body, it does not indicate what kinds of cells these progeny have become. What it does show is that bone marrow stem cells may have a wider function than previously imagined.

In fact spermatogonial stem cells are quite different from bone marrow stem cells, and de-differentiation of the bone marrow cells into pluripotent stem cells and subsequent re-differentiation into spermatogonia seems highly unlikely

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 09:26PM by Janit.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 08, 2019 10:25PM
Janit
Sarcany
space-time
Filliam H. Muffman

According to the article, the recipient had had a vasectomy some years before the procedure. Therefore, there would NOT have been any sperm or germ cells in the semen, only somatic cells. The chimerism in the semen does not indicate that a recipient could go on to have children fathered by the donor. Although it indicates that the progeny of bone marrow stem cells can show up in all sorts of locations in the body, it does not indicate what kinds of cells these progeny have become. What it does show is that bone marrow stem cells may have a wider function than previously imagined.

Indeed.

And vasectomies can be reversed.

Someone ought to have a good long look at his gametes.

Posted by: Janit
Date: December 09, 2019 06:43AM
Sarcany
Indeed.

And vasectomies can be reversed.

Someone ought to have a good long look at his gametes.

Actually, this kind of analysis could be done on anyone who has had a bone marrow transplant, and the results so far with this guy indicate that such studies should be done on a larger sample of people. It would be important to see which specific cell types are affected, and how widespread or variable the phenomenon is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020