advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Rene Auberjonois, Odo of Star Trek Deep Space 9 passes away
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 08, 2019 05:17PM
His work in Deep Space 9 as the no nonsense law enforcer pitted against the resourceful Quark is one of the reason I enjoy that series so much. One of the best episodes with the two of them is called Ascent. Thanks Rene, RIP.

[variety.com]

René Auberjonois, best known for his roles in “Boston Legal” and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” died at his home in Los Angeles due to metastatic lung cancer. He was 79.

His son Rèmy-Luc confirmed the news to the Associated Press.

Auberjonois was a prolific television actor, appearing as Paul Lewiston in 71 episodes of “Boston Legal” and as Clayton Runnymede Endicott III in ABC’s long-running sitcom “Benson” — a role that earned him an Emmy nomination for best supporting actor in a comedy in 1984. He played shape-shifter Changeling Odo in “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” and carried that role into video games, voicing Odo in “Harbinger” and “The Fallen.” His appearance as Judge Mantz in ABC’s “The Practice” earned him another Emmy nod for guest actor in a drama in 2001.

His guest roles were numerous, appearing on classics like “Murder, She Wrote,” “The Jeffersons,” “The Outer Limits,” “L.A. Law,” “Stargate SG-1,” “Frasier,” and the more recent hit “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.”

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Rene Auberjonois, Odo of Star Trek Deep Space 9 passes away
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 08, 2019 05:24PM
RIP! I liked his character very much.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 08, 2019 05:30PM
I hope he gets his latinum-plated bucket to rest in.

RIP

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld

"WE CALL BS!" -- Emma Gonzalez
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 08, 2019 05:54PM
Damn....Odo’s dead!
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: December 08, 2019 06:11PM
I remember him best as Father Mulcahy in the movie version of MASH, great understated comedic performance.

Make me an angel that flies from Montgomery
Make me a poster of an old rodeo
Just give me one thing that I can hold on to
To believe in this living is just a hard way to go

- John Prine
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: December 08, 2019 07:07PM
Les Poissons from "The Little Mermaid"
Posted by: Mr645
Date: December 08, 2019 07:43PM
Oh no Odo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 07:43PM by Mr645.
Posted by: p8712
Date: December 08, 2019 07:58PM
NO! Did no know he was ill. One of the best Trek actors. He'll live on forever though...

RIP: René Auberjonois [ actor 'Benson'_'Boston Legal' and 'Star Trek: Deep Space 9' ]......
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 08, 2019 05:15PM
.....at 79....lung cancer.....

René Auberjonois, ‘Star Trek’ and ‘Boston Legal’ Actor, Dies at 79

......René Auberjonois, best known for his roles in “Boston Legal” and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” died at his home in Los Angeles due to metastatic lung cancer. He was 79.

His son Rèmy-Luc confirmed the news to the Associated Press.

Auberjonois was a prolific television actor, appearing as Paul Lewiston in 71 episodes of “Boston Legal” and as Clayton Runnymede Endicott III in ABC’s long-running sitcom “Benson” — a role that earned him an Emmy nomination for best supporting actor in a comedy in 1984. He played shape-shifter Changeling Odo in “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine,” and carried that role into video games, voicing Odo in “Harbinger” and “The Fallen.” His appearance as Judge Mantz in ABC’s “The Practice” earned him another Emmy nod for guest actor in a drama in 2001.

His guest roles were numerous, appearing on classics like “Murder, She Wrote,” “The Jeffersons,” “The Outer Limits,” “L.A. Law,” “Stargate SG-1,” “Frasier,” and the more recent hit “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia.”

His first film role came with “MASH,” in which he played Father Mulcahy in the first of several collaborations with Robert Altman. He would go on appear in Altman’s revisionist Western classic “McCabe & Mrs. Miller,” “Brewster McCloud,” and “Images.” Other film credits include Roy Bagley in 1976’s “King Kong” and Reverend Oliver in “The Patriot,” as well as parts in “Batman Forever,” “Eyes of Laura Mars” and “Walker.”

Before his entry into Hollywood, Auberjonois worked in theater, earning a Tony for best lead actor in a musical for his role opposite Katharine Hepburn in “Coco.” He received further Tony nominations for 1973’s “The Good Doctor,” 1984’s “Big River,” and 1989’s “City of Angels.”

Auberjonois was also known for his voice roles, particularly in 1989’s Disney Renaissance hit “The Little Mermaid,” in which he voices Chef Louis and sang the memorable “Les Poissons.” Fans of “The Princess Diaries” would recognize him as the voice of Mia Thermopolis’ father, Prince Philippe Renaldi, in an uncredited role.

In addition to his son, he is survived by his wife of 56 years, writer Judith Auberjonois; sisters Marie-Laure Degener and Anne Auberjonois; daughter Tessa Auberjonois; son-in-law Adrian Latourelle, daughter-in-law Kate Nowlin and three grandchildren.

He was remembered on social media by his “Deep Space Nine” co-star Armin Shimerman, who played Quark.

“His last message to me was entitled ‘Don’t forget…’ I know that I, Killy and all that knew him will never forget. The world seems noticeably emptier now. I loved him.”

and so it goes......and so it goes.......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2019 05:18PM by NewtonMP2100.
Re: RIP: René Auberjonois [ actor 'Benson'_'Boston Legal' and 'Star Trek: Deep Space 9' ]......
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: December 08, 2019 05:23PM
The world is a little darker today.

Re: RIP: René Auberjonois [ actor 'Benson'_'Boston Legal' and 'Star Trek: Deep Space 9' ]......
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 08, 2019 05:25PM
RIP
Posted by: Bernie
Date: December 08, 2019 06:18PM
Okay.

Dis one hurts!

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: December 08, 2019 08:37PM
One of the most amusing Odo episodes is when he was being pursued by Lwaxana Troi. The hunter of law and order became the hunted.

y

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2019 07:56AM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Thrift Store Scott
Date: December 08, 2019 09:11PM
What a bummer. I'll always remember Mr. Auberjonois because his character Odo was part of what I consider to be one of the funniest exchanges in all of Star Trek:

Odo- What kind of sycophant are you?!?

Bat Dude*- (gazes adoringly at Odo) What kind of sycophant do you want me to be?

Rest in Peace, Mr. Auberjonois.

*I can't remember the character's name or race in the series, but to me he resembled a humanoid version of a bat.

Resist the Thought Police- George Orwell's book 1984 was meant as a warning, not a "How To" guide.

Lie to me if you must, but don't lie to me and insult my intelligence in the same sentence.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 08, 2019 09:38PM

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: December 09, 2019 12:31AM
Beyond the Final Frontier....

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: samintx
Date: December 09, 2019 08:23AM
My daughter was their baby sitter. His wife emailed my daughter upon his death. He was married 56 years. Amazing. My daughter got a huge case of chicken pox from his kids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2019 08:24AM by samintx.
Posted by: Silencio
Date: December 09, 2019 09:05AM
I almost completely forgot he played Endicott in Benson. He was a great foil for Robert Guillaume, much like he played Father Mulcahey as the straight man in MASH. RIP
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 09, 2019 11:44AM
Silencio
I almost completely forgot he played Endicott in Benson. He was a great foil for Robert Guillaume, much like he played Father Mulcahey as the straight man in MASH. RIP

For me Auberjonois was always Clayton Endicott III and all other characters were merely secondary. Helps that I didn't watch DS9 or The Practice much.

RIP sir, you were a class act.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2019 11:45AM by Lew Zealand.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 09, 2019 12:18PM
Wow. I had the joy of seeing him perform on stage multiple times, and he was truly gifted. Rest in peace, René.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018