advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Do you trust the Chinese? Newegg vendor has half-price *real* Brother toner....
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 13, 2019 08:24PM
shipped from China. Purported to be a two pack of real  Brother toner carts for about the same price as a domestically sourced single cart. The 'egg says it's the real deal, only difference is two and half week shipping instead of two day shipping (though since we're actually pretty close, it's always one day delivery). Time isn't a critical factor... properly working toner cart is key.... and has been ever since a reloaded toner cart in the venerable LWIIg went kablooey inside the printer a couple of decades ago.

FWIW, there are generic toner carts available for much less, still, so in trying to keep w/ real manufacturer toner, does MRF collectively think this makes sense? Or does this sound like some sort of a scam, and it's gonna be fake/generic toner in counterfeit packaging?
Thanks.
==
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Do you trust the Chinese? Newegg vendor has half-price *real* Brother toner....
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 13, 2019 08:39PM
I once bought something by mistake from AMZN that shipped from China.

It took 2 or 3 months to arrive.

I now make absolutely sure that what I buy is not getting shipped from the PRC.

This of course is a separate issue from whether it's legit or not, but something to consider.

I think that 2 or 3 weeks from the PRC is extremely optimistic.
Re: Do you trust the Chinese? Newegg vendor has half-price *real* Brother toner....
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: December 13, 2019 09:05PM
No, I wouldn't trust it.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 14, 2019 12:40AM
It means it comes from the vendor's brother, who fills used original carts in their parents' basement.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 14, 2019 04:38AM
Racer X
It means it comes from the vendor's brother, who fills used original carts in their parents' basement.

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 14, 2019 04:41AM
when you have an inkjet, you need to consider if aftermarket ink has the same color as the OEM ink, and whether it will clog your printer or not.

but with toner do you have to worry about these things? for Black toner, black is black. and there is not much to "clog", is it? I would probably try generic.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 14, 2019 07:31AM
I have used generic toner, and refilles. Numerous times the best I got was medium grey even if I went max DPI, Max quality, and changed the "darkness" setting to max black.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 14, 2019 10:53AM
space-time
when you have an inkjet, you need to consider if aftermarket ink has the same color as the OEM ink, and whether it will clog your printer or not.

but with toner do you have to worry about these things? for Black toner, black is black. and there is not much to "clog", is it? I would probably try generic.

Well, for starters "black" is not necessarily "black". Toner can use different formulations of dye, carbon black, etc. to create the black for a specific printer. Then there are differences in controlling the particle sizes of the toner, what formulation is used for the resin binder, and so on.

To further complicate things, there are "high" temperature and "low" temperature fusing units in laser printers. Use the wrong toner and you end up with problems there, scorched resin, or toner that does not properly fuse to the paper.

So if you can get the right formulation, then you can substitute "generic" toner. But fairly often the toner formulation is proprietary to a company, generic may be close, but won't be the same.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 14, 2019 12:42PM
Wow, so nobody thinks it could be grey market, or international goods?
Like in camera equipment, and other consumer electronics?
Very educational so far.....
==
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: December 14, 2019 02:21PM
I'd be worried the Chinese Gov't would be sponsoring this two-for, and bugging the cartridges to monitor what I'm printing, and then serving me 'related' ads though the computer.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 14, 2019 02:37PM
Smells grey market to me.
Posted by: Cary
Date: December 14, 2019 03:08PM
I use generic carts in my brother color laser, and did in the b & w laser before that. For my needs, they work great.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 14, 2019 10:28PM
Aren’t they all made in China, anyway?

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 14, 2019 11:02PM
I give it about a 1-out-of-3 chance that it's the exact toner from the same plant and they increased the production run without telling Brother.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: Harooneneutics
Date: December 15, 2019 09:21PM
A couple of years ago, my daughter asked me to buy her a coat on Amazon that shipped from China. Two months later we received a pair of earrings. It was the last time I went down that road.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 173
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018