Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
eBay-er wants to meet locally instead of paying for shipping
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: December 16, 2019 09:57AM
Should I say no? Yes? Is it safe?
This is only the second item I've sold on eBay, although I've sold to people locally via Facebook Marketplace. The person with the highest bid thus far asked if we could meet as they are local.
Is this in violation of eBay's terms? Should I be concerned with them trying to wiggle out of the deal or further negotiate price?
If it matters, the item in question is a high-quality leather commuter bag.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: eBay-er wants to meet locally instead of paying for shipping
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 16, 2019 10:05AM
While it's always wise to exercise caution, I will say that more than once I've asked a seller if I could pick up an item locally to avoid shipping if the seller is within a few towns of me. More often than not, they're happy to do so, as it avoids them having to pack up an item.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 16, 2019 10:12AM
Seems like a fairly low-risk, low-cost thing to test, if you get to name the time and place for the pickup.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 16, 2019 10:18AM
EBay makes it difficult to do anything other than agree to their regs, so I wonder if they'll base your final value fee as if you charged for shipping.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: December 16, 2019 10:24AM
If you're okay with bypassing the shipping/ebay stuff; meet publicly, and inside someplace (i.e., inside a fast food restaurant) and not out in a parking lot. Sit a little deep in the place (i.e., not right next to the door).

My wife sells via FB marketplace a lot, and she'll usually arrange to meet the people at her karate studio (there are multiple businesses open & operating around her in the strip mall) and she'll always have either me or my 20-year-old (who is bigger than me) with her.

It's spelled " y'all "

Posted by: Acer
Date: December 16, 2019 10:31AM
Does the buyer have established feedback history? I'd not do it for someone new to the platform.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: December 16, 2019 10:50AM
Police/Sheriff nearby? Do it in their parking lot.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 16, 2019 10:54AM
I’ve been able to do local pickup, but years ago when eBay was less restrictive. A few people picked up stuff at my office, when I was at my old job. And I bought my G5 locally, but also in an office setting, a video company that was downsizing. In fact, they specified local pickup only, because they had no desire to deal with shipping a G5. I think if you can finish the sale in a public place, like a Starbucks, and it doesn’t cause eBay’s little panties to bunch up, why not? Easier for all parties.

Does the buyer have decent feedback?

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2019 10:56AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 16, 2019 11:19AM
eBay allows for local pick-up. You see it a lot with larger items that would be impractical to ship.

I would ONLY ACCEPT CASH for a local pick-up. I'm not sure if eBay has any official policies in place for a PayPal or credit card payment with local pick-up. But there is an easy scam for buyers with local pick-up (that happened to a coworker who was also selling a hand bag). Pay with PayPal, do a local pick-up, then file a claim that they never received it. Since there is no tracking #, eBay sides with the buyer and refunds their payment (and deducts it from you).

Maybe if you kept all communication within eBay, you might have a shot of winning, but if you take the local pick-up communication "off-line" (i.e. texting), eBay would have no records of it being planned or happening.
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 16, 2019 11:25AM
Request PayPal payment in full at the conclusion of the auction.
No cash and carry. The pickup is just that. Pickup only after payment in full.

Meet at a place close and convenient to you.
Posted by: PeterW
Date: December 16, 2019 11:38AM
Don’t - period. Request payment and ship the item, even if it’s only across the street. Doing anything else invites a scam since you will have no record of delivering the item to the buyer.
Posted by: raz
Date: December 16, 2019 12:01PM
I've done this before - though, again, when eBay was a kinder, gentler place.

I'd meet at a Dunkin or similar, and we'd exchange cash.

If you need proof of sale, why not just an iPhone snapshot of the buyer's ID and him holding the item?

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: December 16, 2019 12:02PM
PeterW
Don’t - period. Request payment and ship the item, even if it’s only across the street. Doing anything else invites a scam since you will have no record of delivering the item to the buyer.

Cash does not require a record. That's the great thing about cash - if you want a refund, you have to get the cash back.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 16, 2019 12:07PM
CJsNvrUrly
Should I say no? Yes? Is it safe?
This is only the second item I've sold on eBay, although I've sold to people locally via Facebook Marketplace. The person with the highest bid thus far asked if we could meet as they are local.
Is this in violation of eBay's terms? Should I be concerned with them trying to wiggle out of the deal or further negotiate price?
If it matters, the item in question is a high-quality leather commuter bag.

I've sold items on Craig's List for local pick up only. Many were of the type that I asked the buyer to come to my home. Other pick up items were exchanged in the local police station lobby.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on several OSes and an ego trip.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 16, 2019 12:17PM
Its fine, just do the same as you would with a CL sale.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 16, 2019 12:25PM
.....public place......be cautious.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: BernDog
Date: December 16, 2019 12:42PM
3d

Just to keep things fully within eBay’s system, I’d change the listing to offer local pickup so the entire transaction was above board. Then, while you can’t technically ask for feedback, request that you both message each other about meeting and having completed the transaction with pickup.

Or, take down the listing so it’s not any part of ebay at all and do a cash-only transaction like you would for craigslist.

One or the other. No hybrid.
Posted by: Randalls
Date: December 16, 2019 01:02PM
Google for 'safe zone' or 'safe exchange' locations near you as said previously.
Posted by: hal
Date: December 16, 2019 01:19PM
Accepting a paypal payment THEN handing over the item in person is exactly what you don't want to do. Paypal insists that you upload a tracking number as proof that it was shipped and received. After the exchange, the buyer could open a 'not received' case on paypal and you would lose. At this point people start suggesting taking photos of the exchange... forget it - any photo can be rigged - paypal/ebay won't look at them.

An exchange for cash would be safe (assuming you feel safe with a cash in person - I always do CL transactions at a starbux).

But the terms of the sale are listed in the sale - did you select local pickup as a payment option in the listing parameters? If not, then you have a right to demand payment via the methods you did list. There is no negotiation at this point - it's pay up or be reported as a non paying bidder.

I would tell the bidder 'yes', but lay out YOUR terms. I hate to remove a bid already placed - that hurts no matter what happens next.

BernDog
3d

Just to keep things fully within eBay’s system, I’d change the listing to offer local pickup so the entire transaction was above board. Then, while you can’t technically ask for feedback, request that you both message each other about meeting and having completed the transaction with pickup.

Or, take down the listing so it’s not any part of ebay at all and do a cash-only transaction like you would for craigslist.

One or the other. No hybrid.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: December 16, 2019 02:27PM
Interesting discussion. I have a large item for sale that I am charging $30 to ship (it will likely cost me a bit more). Local buyer messaged me though eBay asking the lowest price I'd accept. I told him and then he asked if I'd do local pick up. I told him sure but to send an offer for $30 less than the price of the item. I'd accept that and then still get my lowest price. Now I'm having second thoughts based on what was said above.

I guess I'll change the listing terms to say shipping or local pick-up (if you can do that). That way there is no adjusting the price for him to dispute. I haven't heard back from him, so I guess my price was still to much for him.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 16, 2019 02:40PM
Well, it was surprisingly easy to find eBay's official policy on local pick-up!

[www.ebay.com]
Posted by: hal
Date: December 16, 2019 03:17PM
Ebay and paypal are two different companies with different terms. Ebay's terms for protection are different from paypals. In the post above, I was citing a fear of a paypal dispute. Paypal sellers are NOT protected for local pick up situations.

Paypal's terms are a little harder to find, but they are clear:

What isn’t covered by Seller Protection?
Most PayPal transactions are covered as long as they follow these requirements. However, there are instances where Seller Protection doesn’t apply:

•Claims, chargebacks, or reversals filed because the item is significantly different from how it was described (e.g. you described an item as “new,” but sent a used one).
•Intangible purchases like services, digital goods, etc.
Items picked up locally or in person.
•Transactions made through PayPal Direct, Virtual Terminal, PayPal Business, or PayPal Here.
•Instances where you receive multiple payments for an item.
•Claims filed directly through an eBay account.
•Prohibited items such as drug paraphernalia, ammunition/firearms, or counterfeit goods.
•First Class Mail International, since the receipt only shows the address the order was delivered to – not the customer's address.
Posted by: Janit
Date: December 16, 2019 05:21PM
I have done this many times, and meet buyers at the public library, which is across the street from where I live. Cash only.

If the listing is still active, you should be able to edit it to add local pickup as a shipping option. If the auction has already ended, you can send an invoice with a zero shipping charge, with a note indicating cash only, with local pickup. (You must adjust the invoice in order to be sure that eBay does not charge you their commission for the non-existant shipping charge.)

Don't accept PayPal for local pickup, as it leaves you open for an "item not received" claim, or for eBay to mistakenly ding you for not "shipping on time."
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 16, 2019 06:55PM
Janit
I have done this many times, and meet buyers at the public library, which is across the street from where I live. Cash only.

If the listing is still active, you should be able to edit it to add local pickup as a shipping option. If the auction has already ended, you can send an invoice with a zero shipping charge, with a note indicating cash only, with local pickup. (You must adjust the invoice in order to be sure that eBay does not charge you their commission for the non-existant shipping charge.)

Don't accept PayPal for local pickup, as it leaves you open for an "item not received" claim, or for eBay to mistakenly ding you for not "shipping on time."

I asked this question recently, and there really aren't any other options for accepting different forms of payment (edit: unless you have a CC merchant account). I'm ready to return to money orders, honestly, the PP thing is getting stupid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2019 06:56PM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: December 16, 2019 07:20PM
This information has been extremely helpful and educational. You guys rock, as always.
As it turned out, the local bidder was outbid in the last half hour of the auction so I’m off the hook having to meet them. Whew!

bunny smileyCentral VA
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 280
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018