advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
dead Dyson
Posted by: Fritz
Date: December 16, 2019 02:52PM
our 10yo Dyson 23 plus canister appears to have a dead motor, as I changed the switch and still get no joy.
debating a new Dyson as this has been good to us with zero issues till now. A replacement is about the same as we paid back then, $300.
Anyone have a newer gen Dyson that they are happy with?
Or other make? It weighs a ton, but I'm reluctant to go for a stick with 30 mins of batt time for who knows how many hours to recharge.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: dead Dyson
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 16, 2019 02:55PM
See if there is a fix on YouTube.
Date: December 16, 2019 03:03PM
there is, but it doesn't look like any fun compared to the switch.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 16, 2019 03:33PM
Lots less than $300 -- check their ebay store -- and check their web site. It was actually cheaper on their site than target/wally or amazon.

we have both -- a 10 year old DC25 (still going strong... have replaced the brush unit a couple of times and the switch recently) and a V8. the 25 is waaaay more powerful than our V8.

But the V8 probably does 90% of our work now. 30 minutes is a long time to vacuum... and we have only run out the batterey a handful of times. mostly becasue we forgot to plug in. Wife vacumms nearly every day.

Depending on what kind of flooring you have it works well -- better on the low setting on regular carpet, high only for our wood floors. if you have a lot of hard surfaces, you want the one with the roller head.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 16, 2019 03:37PM
we have 90% wood/tile floor with a coupe 5x7 area rugs, short pile.
I hate to vac (everyday, not a f'n chance), I'm more likely to choose a canister again as I'd want the power, but how long does the batt take to recharge in the V8? Tempting for weight and concept.

I also hate to add to the trash pile, though perhaps the local Dyson refurbs them.

!#$@@$#!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2019 03:39PM by Fritz.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 16, 2019 03:43PM
I rebuilt the clutch on a DC10 I picked up for $10 from the thrift store for about $25 in parts. And a lot of cuss words. They are repairable. Or you can donate it as broken... someone will buy it and fix it. Just clean it up first.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 16, 2019 03:44PM
.....Dys.....Another......Day.....????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Pam
Date: December 16, 2019 03:45PM
I have the V8 and battery lasts as advertised. I love using it over the upright. I have tile with some area rugs. You might vacuum more often lol.
Date: December 16, 2019 03:49PM
Cant really say how long it takes. Wife comes home, does some pickup around the house and then vacuums. Sometimes only the hallway/kids rooms/our room cause its carpet and shows. But cant take longer than 10 minutes or so. Gets plugged back in when done.

With your floor, this is the one I would get: [www.dyson.com]

----

Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 16, 2019 03:55PM
I have the Dyson Animal and I like it very much. Picks up ALOT, easy to use, customer service was good the one time I had to call.
Date: December 16, 2019 03:58PM
I'm really good at cursing during repairs. Plumbing creates the most original. Though the tight space for gas valve solenoids in the dryer provided some humor.

Vacuum more often? Yea .... not gonna happen, unless the cat learns to clean up after himself.

the V7 absolute because of the head related to floors? Just teense concerned that it would still cut the carpet work.

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 16, 2019 04:09PM
Fritz
how long does the batt take to recharge in the V8? Tempting for weight and concept.

Way longer than you'll want to wait to start vacuuming again (i.e. hours). I can do a "one pass" of a 1350 sq ft house with all hard surface floors on the normal setting with one charge. If I'm using the "high" setting, I can do maybe a 1/3 of that, give or take.
Date: December 16, 2019 04:10PM
7 Absolute bundle has both heads.

----

Date: December 16, 2019 04:19PM
that's pretty efficient then. I think we have about the same square.
I'll look at the V7ab further.

!#$@@$#!

Date: December 16, 2019 04:26PM
what's the clearance height on the head? Would it get under a couch.?

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Buck
Date: December 16, 2019 05:27PM
Get a Shark Liftaway. Better and cheaper.
Date: December 18, 2019 06:54AM
hey youse dyson disciples.
does just the batt plug in or do you need the whole stick to charge?

!#$@@$#!

Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 18, 2019 04:20PM
Fritz
hey youse dyson disciples.
does just the batt plug in or do you need the whole stick to charge?

Newer models have built-in batteries, so you either plug the charger into the back of the handle, or place the whole thing in a wall mount (which is just a holder for the vacuum with a holder for the charger so it connects when you insert the vacuum).
Date: December 19, 2019 08:22AM
thanks Gareth

!#$@@$#!

Date: December 21, 2019 11:03AM
found this too.

[www.uprightswithhoses.com]

!#$@@$#!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 189
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018